Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i read this somewhere and i can't find it again. someone told me to put a spark plug fouler in between my o2 sensor and the header and y-pipe to keep the cel from coming on. has anyone else heard this??? i am putting my exhaust on fri. and need a little help. thanks
 

·
Not Officially Back
Joined
·
12,742 Posts
Welcome to my.IS! (Always sounds weird saying that, since you sure aren't in MY IS... last I checked :lol: )

CEL should only appear when installing aftermarket headers which remove the Bank 1 and Bank 2 precats (the 2 cats on the OEM header).

If you're just doing an exhaust/muffler, Bpipe, or ypipe, you should not get a CEL.

The standard way to prevent a CEL with a header swap is to install an O2 simulator, which can be aquired from most major IS tuning shops (www.toyomoto.com, www.turboeast.com, etc). A parts website, o2simulator.com, also has a simulator available, but it's rumored to not work on some model IS's.

We've heard rumors about the plug fouler/bung extension also working, but I don't think anyone has ever confirmed it works on the IS300. I have an extension down in my garage, but have never tried it out. If I were you, I'd go with a simulator, unless it's no big deal to throw the extension on to see if it works. Note that it can take up to 250 miles for a CEL to come on after an ECU reset... usually you'll know within 25 miles but we've seen it take much longer for the light to reappear for the same issue.

Again, welcome to the site!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
let me make a correction i am putting a header and down pipe on fri. is anyone interested in the results i will get from trying the non fouler technique. anyhow thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,564 Posts
dasgalloway said:
Welcome to my.IS! (Always sounds weird saying that, since you sure aren't in MY IS... last I checked :lol: )

CEL should only appear when installing aftermarket headers which remove the Bank 1 and Bank 2 precats (the 2 cats on the OEM header).

If you're just doing an exhaust/muffler, Bpipe, or ypipe, you should not get a CEL.

The standard way to prevent a CEL with a header swap is to install an O2 simulator, which can be aquired from most major IS tuning shops (www.toyomoto.com, www.turboeast.com, etc). A parts website, o2simulator.com, also has a simulator available, but it's rumored to not work on some model IS's.

We've heard rumors about the plug fouler/bung extension also working, but I don't think anyone has ever confirmed it works on the IS300. I have an extension down in my garage, but have never tried it out. If I were you, I'd go with a simulator, unless it's no big deal to throw the extension on to see if it works. Note that it can take up to 250 miles for a CEL to come on after an ECU reset... usually you'll know within 25 miles but we've seen it take much longer for the light to reappear for the same issue.

Again, welcome to the site!

John, i believe i was the first to post about it. I have used it and it works fine. You will only need it in Bank 1 Sensor 2 if you install aftermarket headers/y-pipe. Bank 2 sensor 2, i have no idea what that does anymore. More of a tuning sensor maybe? i thought it would detect cats or not, but it doesn't. as mine is still plugged in B2S2 and i have no cats, no CEL about it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,564 Posts
spotuone said:
let me make a correction i am putting a header and down pipe on fri. is anyone interested in the results i will get from trying the non fouler technique. anyhow thanks
you actually need 2 foulers. one to plug into the header, another that that will fit the o2 sensor and that has an end that has a small hole at the end of it so that the exhaust fumes can hardly get to it. it has worked and have gotten no CEL's from it.

so, o2 sensor->1st plug fouler->2nd plug fouler->header
 

·
Not Officially Back
Joined
·
12,742 Posts
AltezzaBob said:
John, i believe i was the first to post about it. I have used it and it works fine. You will only need it in Bank 1 Sensor 2 if you install aftermarket headers/y-pipe. Bank 2 sensor 2, i have no idea what that does anymore. More of a tuning sensor maybe? i thought it would detect cats or not, but it doesn't. as mine is still plugged in B2S2 and i have no cats, no CEL about it.

Excellent, thanks for confirming! +rep when I can, dang 24 hrs
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,141 Posts
AltezzaBob said:
you actually need 2 foulers. one to plug into the header, another that that will fit the o2 sensor and that has an end that has a small hole at the end of it so that the exhaust fumes can hardly get to it. it has worked and have gotten no CEL's from it.

so, o2 sensor->1st plug fouler->2nd plug fouler->header
I never heard of this, so to educate myself I googled it and found this post with a DIY and pictures to help me understand.

I thought others could gleam something from it as well.

http://forums.evolutionm.net/showpost.php?p=1505717&postcount=2
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well this will be my last question then. would you put the foulers on the two sensors that are downstream from the cats. that is where it would make sense to put them to me. that would be the only ones that would be affected by removing the cats.... since the other two sensors are before the cats anyway. thanks again.
 

·
truth versions only
Joined
·
4,704 Posts
spotuone said:
i read this somewhere and i can't find it again. someone told me to put a spark plug fouler in between my o2 sensor and the header and y-pipe to keep the cel from coming on. has anyone else heard this??? i am putting my exhaust on fri. and need a little help. thanks
I kept reading this and getting confused till I figured out what you were talking about... you are refering to spark plug non-foulers right?

Anyway, its a system that works quite well on alot of other brand cars so yeah will like to know if it will work on the is as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
spotuone said:
i read this somewhere and i can't find it again. someone told me to put a spark plug fouler in between my o2 sensor and the header and y-pipe to keep the cel from coming on. has anyone else heard this??? i am putting my exhaust on fri. and need a little help. thanks

i have the plug foulers installed in my IS. i put them on bank 1 sensor 2 thats on the header and bank 2 sensor 2 thats on the y-pipe. I've had it for a little over a month with no more CEL. :)
When dilling out the plug fouler use a 1/2" drill bit
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,564 Posts
you don't need it on bank 2 sensor 2. maybe i should transfer the DIY onto .net
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
AltezzaBob said:
you don't need it on bank 2 sensor 2. maybe i should transfer the DIY onto .net
On my IS i did.(the one on the y-pipe). i first just had a plug fouler on the header and would get the CEL everytime at about 75-100 miles. Then I decided to copy LadyVenom and put one on the y-pipe, and now no more CEL :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
164 Posts
Can also confirm that it works. I did have to use 2 anti-foulers per sensor and had to use them on both B1S2 and B2S2. The B2S2 (in the y-pipe) is a very tight due to its location. I suppose you could rewire the signal circuit of B2S2 and piggyback it off of B1S2....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,564 Posts
i actually had the bank 2 sensor 2 bung rewelded and repositioned since it was too long to fit the two foulers and the o2 sensor. this was with a toyomoto y-pipe btw since it sticks out straight.

does lady venom still drive her IS?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
*verified*

i have the plug foulers installed in my IS. i put them on bank 1 sensor 2 thats on the header and bank 2 sensor 2 thats on the y-pipe. I've had it for a little over a month with no more CEL. :)
When dilling out the plug fouler use a 1/2" drill bit
I did exactly the same thing, with exactly the same results. I have a friend with an 04 and he only used 1 non-fouler per O2 and has a CEL. It is important to use 2 per O2. Drill out 1 to 1/2", screw the O2 into that, then screw those into the unmodified non-fouler. Screw the whole assembly into header/y-pipe and you are golden. NO MORE CEL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Yea, the 2 fouler is the only way. I am gonna do this today, and will post up definite results. I did it on other cars, but I will let you know on the IS300 for sure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,142 Posts
it doesnt work, and in most cases didnt fit, so dont waste your time and get a o2sim.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
870 Posts
it doesnt work, and in most cases didnt fit, so dont waste your time and get a o2sim.
2 pages and 1 dissenter. I guess we just need to give it a try. Autozone has them now for $4.70 a pair.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,270 Posts
2 pages and 1 dissenter. I guess we just need to give it a try. Autozone has them now for $4.70 a pair.
Didn't work on my 1UZ. I didn't mention that because I don't know if it applies the the 2JZ. If you look in the Lexus manuals, they describe exactly what kind of signal makes the ECU happy. It's like they're dropping hints about how to make a sim.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
13 Participants
IM QUIKR
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing
Top