Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I just changed my spark plugs to the Denso IK16 following Hiroshima's guide exactly. I start the car and my check engine light is solid on with the traction control light blinking. The car didn't sound like it was running rough or anything, but I shut it off right away,

I just took everything apart again, the throuttle body, etc and pressed down on all the connections, plug wires and coil wires, etc. Anything else I should check for? I REALLY could use some help on this one as its taken awhile to get this job done.

Thank you,
Ryan

·
It's 5 o'clock somewhere.
6,017 Posts
You hook the coil packs back up properly? Make sure everything else is tightened back up. Reset the ecu. If you still have the problem, drive it to autozone and get the code read. It will narrow down what is wrong.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I labled all the wires so I know they are on properly, I just double checked all the connections and everything looks ok. I'll try the ECU reset and let you know how it works, thanks. If the check engine light is still on, do you think its safe to drive it a few miles to get the computer read? The light wasn't blinking, it was just solid.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Did you install the intake pipe properly? Are all of the clamps tight? Did you re-install the fresh air hose for the PCV system?

I had my intake pipe come loose on me once, and the CEL came on and the TC blinked. My guess was because the MAF was getting the wrong readings from the leak post-MAF, and since it uses the throttle as part of the TC system, it disables TC if it can't get proper air flow readings.

Once you find the problem, reset the ECM.

Nate

·
It's 5 o'clock somewhere.
6,017 Posts
Yes, I labled all the wires so I know they are on properly, I just double checked all the connections and everything looks ok. I'll try the ECU reset and let you know how it works, thanks. If the check engine light is still on, do you think its safe to drive it a few miles to get the computer read? The light wasn't blinking, it was just solid.
Yes, its safe. If you feel/hear anything weird though, stop.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I reset the ECU and no more check engine/trac light. I let it warm up and took it around the block, still no light. I guess resetting the ECU fixed it? I'm just wondering if thats a normal thing to do after changing the plugs.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
416 Posts
Did you start the car before everything was completely re-assembled?

Weird. Taking it apart and putting it all back together without starting it in between shouldn't set a CEL.

Nate

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, I made sure everything was together before starting the car. I did clean the throttle body while I had it apart, possibly that caused the light? Have been driving the car the rest of the day and the check engine light has not returned, so I guess I'm good to go. Thanks again.

·
Dr. JDM
9,332 Posts
good spark plugs :approve:

·
Registered
3 Posts
No, I made sure everything was together before starting the car. I did clean the throttle body while I had it apart, possibly that caused the light? Have been driving the car the rest of the day and the check engine light has not returned, so I guess I'm good to go. Thanks again.
So unplugging the ECU works? Cause I had p0303 pop up then changed the coil pack and spark plugs and now p0302 p0303 and p0306 popped up

·
Registered
3 Posts
Okay so would wrong spark plugs be the cause of the misfire? The ones I took off the car had two prawns and the new one has one

·
3,085 Posts
Not really. It is more likely you did not get the connectors on good. Just FYI, you should always replace the whole set of plugs and coils. that way you do not keep going back to change stuff as they wear at different times.

·
Registered
186 Posts
This last time I replaced my spark plugs I had to repin all the coil pack connectors as they were so brittle. Still using the original coil packs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts