Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just swapped on the spare wheel for the first time on my SportCross and notice it has an 80kph max sticker on it. (I noticed a bulge in one of the front tyres when replacing the brake calipers so have put this on temporarily in its place).

I thought that the spare was just a 3rd front wheel, and this has the same specs and stamps as the normal wheel. The only difference I can see is in the paint - it's a slightly different finish and more silver than the other wheels. The tyre needs some air you'll see in the picture but it's a normal Yoko which would be rated much higher than 80kph.

Anyone able to fill in the gaps for me? Is this not just a standard wheel, why is it limited to 80kph?

I have a new set of wheels literally a couple of weeks away on a boat from Japan so this is terrible timing, not interested in new tyres right now!

·
3,227 Posts
It should be just another wheel and tire. Sounds like some tire was put on that is odd. With a bubble in the sidewall. It is bad anyway. You need to replace it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Youve misunderstood, the spare is on to replace the wheel with the bulged tyre.

·
Mr. Roo
9,809 Posts
the different color of silver is probably from being protected from the elements all those years. But that sticker has no business being on there, don't worry about it as long as the tire is in good shape. Those only go on the tiny donut wheels

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the different color of silver is probably from being protected from the elements all those years. But that sticker has no business being on there, don't worry about it as long as the tire is in good shape. Those only go on the tiny donut wheels
This was my assumption, and I don't even have a guess as to why it would be different. If it were significantly lighter then maybe a different wheel material, but it's not.

I feel like the sticker must have ended up there for a reason though, it looks identical to what you see on space saver wheels. Strange!

·
Registered
02 IS300 Sportcross
19 Posts
Isn’t the Sportcross staggered OEM fitment? Maybe they didn’t want people confusing it for a regular wheel and have 3 215/45 and one 225/45?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The SportCross is staggered yes, i mentioned in my OP that the spare is a 3rd front wheel, which is what I was alluding to. It's more important for the offset as the rear wheel fouls the suspension if fitted to the front - so the fronts are more 'universal'.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts