Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two questions:
1) Does anyone know what the space to the left of the coin slots would be used for? I know the middle slot is for the headlight washers in Canada. It seems like they could have put another coin slot if they didn't intend to use it for something else.

2) The owners manual mentions a strap in the trunk to hold a "Safety Reflector". I don't see the strap (I see the one for the first-aid kit). Is this a Canadian thing?

------------------
2001 IS300 Diamond White Pearl / Ivory
LP, SR, LD, HH, AW, WL, LM, 30% tint

·
Registered
654 Posts
I think they put a blank spot there so they'll have a place to put a nitrous spray button in the future...yes...mwhahahaha... Lexus installed nitrous systems that don't violate warranty...aaaaaahh...

·
Registered
424 Posts
The blank spot is for the REAR fog lamp of IS200. The label on this switch would be "REAR FOG".

AndyL

·
Registered
424 Posts
I don't understadn either .. but I saw the pic in an IS200 brochure. In the picture, the button has "REAR FOG" on it.

·
Registered
195 Posts
A rear fog light would do as it says...light up the rear of your car when it's foggy. So that you can actually "see" obstacles in the rear when you're reversing or something. Sort of like having a headlight pointing backwards. Not for use all the time...just when you need to see back there clearly and little light would help.

Also, you'll notice that on some trucks they have a rear-ward facing light (sort of light a spot light). You know, for whenever you're in the desert where there are no street lights or anything.

[This message has been edited by laughingboy (edited August 17, 2000).]

·
Registered
52 Posts
Actually, the Rear Fog Light is more of a European thing. It's not a "white" lamp, it's basically a red lamp that glows brighter than your normal rear tail lamps (almost as bright as the "stop" lamp).

I think for the Euro GS300/400, those round lamps in the trunk lid act as the RR Fog lamps (probably, the IS's round lights serve this function also).

·
Registered
5 Posts
yeah, i heard the fog lights are so you can see people to the rear of you during foggy driving...and also so they can see you too.

and correct me if i'm wrong, but i heard they're also intended to kind of light up the lines on roads that separate lanes. does anybody know a site to find pics of REAR fog lights on the IS?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So can anyone confirm whether or not they have the straps to hold the Safety Reflector? I assume it is a sign used to put behind your car when changing a flat or if it's disabled. Just curious more than anything...

·
Premium Member
15,322 Posts
i think the first aid holder straps are the safety deflector straps because the first aid kit has velcro and sticks to anywhere in the trunk, when i got my IS the first aid kit was on the left side of the trunk and not strapped in on the right side. I was playing around with it and anywhere i threw the kit it stuck, remember those velcro paddles you threw balls at and it stuck a few years back? the first aid kit has no problem staying on with just its velcro, so you can use those straps for the safety deflector (im sure thats what those straps are actually are.)

·
Registered
654 Posts
The safety reflector is optional equipment that you purchase on your own I believe so maybe the strap comes with it when you buy it. On a more serious note compared with my last post, maybe the button could be used for a rear window wiper (it's humid in the morning in my area, and the rear window is completely obscured with condensation; can't see a thang! That can't be safe.)

·
Registered
511 Posts
OOOOOOOOHHHH... now i see why all those guy who have Jettas and GTI's have that rectangle light near their exhausts.... Now its all fitting together!!!
Never know what one can learn on this site!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts