Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow go faster posters-

I thought i could deal with my steep geared diff but i now see the light-and frustration of trying to upgrade my rear. I believe i am fully educated on the options available to me so now i just need to source one!

1) Brandy new from Toyota- about 2g my cost.
2) Used USDM 6speed complete pumpkin- good luck finding one...
3) Used JDM 6 speed complete pumpkin- Where to source????
4) Make your own with a GS (93-98) housing and gearset along w/ TT JZA 80 auto diff.

Obviously choice 1 is the best but$$$. I like choice 3 but have spent many hours searching and calling the importers with no luck. I originally planned on no. 4 but realized that by the time i got all of the parts and put it together i could get no.1...

So the point of my post is to ask the guys that have been in my shoes before what they did and how/ where they sourced the parts. Thanks a million for any help given!

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
How bout just getting the gs400 diff? There's a couple of guys running that without modifying it and without having any problems.

I guess it all depends on your powergoals...

Also.. maybe as another option?
Auto TT rear end pumkin 800 bucks. auto rear with axles 1000

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply TeckniX. The reason i can't use a stock gs rear is because i need the lsd. The reason i cant use a complete Supra auto rear is because i need a numerically lower final drive- somewhere in the 3.2x range. My car is making about 450 whp in daily driver configuration.

·
Virgin Magnet
8,768 Posts
why not get an after market lsd for the gs400 rear?

a few people have done that.

i make 480 rwhp on a stock rear end.. not sure what power has to do with anything...

"need" is a pretty subjective word.....

·
Loped out SUV
1,864 Posts
Hello fellow go faster posters-

I thought i could deal with my steep geared diff but i now see the light-and frustration of trying to upgrade my rear. I believe i am fully educated on the options available to me so now i just need to source one!

1) Brandy new from Toyota- about 2g my cost.
2) Used USDM 6speed complete pumpkin- good luck finding one...
3) Used JDM 6 speed complete pumpkin- Where to source????
4) Make your own with a GS (93-98) housing and gearset along w/ TT JZA 80 auto diff.

Obviously choice 1 is the best but$$$. I like choice 3 but have spent many hours searching and calling the importers with no luck. I originally planned on no. 4 but realized that by the time i got all of the parts and put it together i could get no.1...

So the point of my post is to ask the guys that have been in my shoes before what they did and how/ where they sourced the parts. Thanks a million for any help given!
Just do a GS400 rear end with either an auto supra LSD or a TRD/KAZZ diff. The auto supra LSD fits inside of the GS pumpkin. Oh yeah and you're gonna need a new d/s and tt axles.

I see the costs are going up, maybe you'd have been better off just scooping one up with everything done... :O

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Someguy- Yea i don't think the horsepower is factor w/ the rears. I'm pretty certain that you are not using a v160. As i said in my original post i am in tune with the options available, i just don't know where to source the parts. I think by the time i locate a gs rear and purchase an aftermarket lsd then i will be in new Supra diff territory money wise.

Phil- I've been trying to locate an auto tt lsd and/or a gs diff figuring that as soon as i found one or the other i would be commited to that option. I already have the axles and Ray will be taking care of the driveshaft. I'm glad that everything worked out with your car....i was this close when it was all in one piece...

Greg

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
My car put down 620 whp. stock rear. no problems

·
Premium Member
5,684 Posts
My car put down 620 whp. stock rear. no problems
It is less about HP capability than it is about the gearing of the V160 and the 3.73 stock 5sp IS rear. It is terrible (way too short), and is the main reason I decided to go with the TT rear and the 3.13 gearing that was designed to go with the V160.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
It is less about HP capability than it is about the gearing of the V160 and the 3.73 stock 5sp IS rear. It is terrible (way too short), and is the main reason I decided to go with the TT rear and the 3.13 gearing that was designed to go with the V160.
Thats a good reason to change it.

But its not terrible. Actually quite fun. Exactly like a mustang.

·
Premium Member
5,684 Posts

I guess your and my idea of fun are different. I prefer shifting less and staying in boost longer...ultimately being faster. :)

But the feeling of acceleration with that gearing is impressive.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts

the gearing absolutely blows, shitty mpg, consistently shifting or even crappier et's all the more reason to get the supra rear 3.13 or the 3.27 gs400/trd combo :)

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It seems like the V160 guys are feeling me.... Now where do i get one?????

Reactions: ISpeed300

·
Premium Member
5,684 Posts
It seems like the V160 guys are feeling me.... Now where do i get one?????
I just checked Supraforums, and there doesn't seem to be any for sale there.

I would post a WTB thread in the Marketplace there and see what you get. That is how I found mine... ;)

·
Registered
101 Posts
If you end up not finding anything, directly from lexuspartsonline.com: Carrier, supra, w/turbo, manual trans 95-98 $2,177.23 or an Elmhurst Toyo/Scion quote of 2075.00 shipped, courtesy of Curt from parts. Both of those are new and are the assemblies. I am probably going through Elmhurst since I have heard good things from them.

I plan on doing the rear end this spring as well as an auto to v160 swap through SRT and the TT differential is the route I am going.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
I guess your and my idea of fun are different. I prefer shifting less and staying in boost longer...ultimately being faster. :)

But the feeling of acceleration with that gearing is impressive.
No trust me. I would LOVE to have a 3.13 or 3.2? rear. But i just dont see the stock being that bad. But longer gearing is defenitely the way to go for great top end. Big reason why im going with a R154. Oh and cause i dont have the money to buy another 6 spd. LOL

But like you said those short burst are fun. I would get to 170+mph in no time.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Bump for a little help!

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Bump for a little help!
Go with the supra rear, its proven to take the abuse, bigger housing and bigger diff physcially just plain beefier..

Option 4 is good too keep the cost down and won't be anywhere near as expensive as option 1..Unless you skip the stock torsen which are hard to source anyhow and inturn get a TRD diff ($800 itself)..

The stock rearend absolutely sucks with the 6spd, I try and forward that to everyone I know so IF they do the 6spd swap they do the whole swap...Shifting all the time, constantly at high rpms, bad mpg, etc..Ok if you only race your car with big tire but on the street you will hate your car with 6spd/stock rear especially if you were previously an auto (3.9 gear)!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts