Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a place to buy the cabin air filter (A/C filter) for a reasonable price? Lexus wants like $60 for the stupid thing. It's just a tiny, thin paper element that should cost $5. I was willing to pay extra for the luxury of an IS when I bought the car, but this is ridiculous!!

TIA!

Rob

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
i tried cleaning the damn thing...
w/ air duster thing i use for my computer, and sprayed some fungus killing(?) spray...
it kinda worked, imo...

[ August 02, 2001: Message edited by: blueIS ]

·
Registered
75 Posts
just go to home depot and buy a 20x26 air filter element for your home a/c. it costs $16 and you can cut out about 6 filters from that size. our filter square is about 8.5x9.5 inches. the 3m filter is actually much better filter than the lexus and a about $2-3 a pop much more cost effective.

the only down side is that you have to cut the filter yourself, which gets a bit tricky and because the filter material is finer and collects more debris, the amount of air flow from your vents is diminished, but by a very, very small amount, you may not even notice it, plus you will replace your homemade filter more often, cause it will actually collect debris that the oem filter will not. I think the 3M filter traps debris down to 0.3 micron. check it out. could be a good weekend project.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I gave that a try. Seems to work OK. I just can't believe Lexus wants to charge $60 for something that is constructed more cheaply than most $6 engine air filters.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yup we get reemed for the premium brand marketing and image. What BS! My local dealer wanted $160 for a four wheel alignment as well. What a rip off! I have never paid over $50 for a four wheel alignment.

However, cause our IS is so new, only the dealer has the oem specs for alignment and they will not give it up for free. Thus, I posted on clublexus.com and one of the moderators was nice enough to post the factory specs for toe and camber for our IS300.

So now, since I have those specs, I can go to my local alignment shop, which I have been going to for the past 3 years give them the specs and have them do the alignment for $48! I recently had this done, and one nice thing about our IS300 that I did not know was that we have adjustments for camber as well as toe. So if camber is out of adjustment, there is no need to constantly buy camber kits, like bmw's. Lexus engineers pretty nice cars, it's just a shame that the dealers are so greedy.

Here's the link for alignment specs for future reference. How's life in MN? My bro use to live out there when he was in Med School in ST. Paul. Unfortunately, he's back in so. cal. constantly bugging me

http://www.clublexus.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18953

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the link to the alignment specs. I don't think I need that right now, but I'll save them.

Life in MN is pretty good, but WAY hot and humid right now. It's like a jungle here. Five minutes standing outside in the garage and I'm dripping with sweat. I was in Napa Valley last week and the weather there was super! Much cooler and drier.

Later,
Rob

·
Registered
449 Posts
Originally posted by N1:
just go to home depot and buy a 20x26 air filter element for your home a/c. it costs $16 and you can cut out about 6 filters from that size. our filter square is about 8.5x9.5 inches. the 3m filter is actually much better filter than the lexus and a about $2-3 a pop much more cost effective.

the only down side is that you have to cut the filter yourself, which gets a bit tricky and because the filter material is finer and collects more debris, the amount of air flow from your vents is diminished, but by a very, very small amount, you may not even notice it, plus you will replace your homemade filter more often, cause it will actually collect debris that the oem filter will not. I think the 3M filter traps debris down to 0.3 micron. check it out. could be a good weekend project.
N1 good to see you again!!! When I saw the post for the air filter element, I thought of you. I remember the meet and all the great suggestions you had for all of us. Hey listen were doin the Vegas run next Sun. thru Tues. Interested? e-mail me for more info. Late

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Originally posted by N1:
Yup we get reemed for the premium brand marketing and image. What BS! My local dealer wanted $160 for a four wheel alignment as well. What a rip off! I have never paid over $50 for a four wheel alignment.

However, cause our IS is so new, only the dealer has the oem specs for alignment and they will not give it up for free. Thus, I posted on clublexus.com and one of the moderators was nice enough to post the factory specs for toe and camber for our IS300.

So now, since I have those specs, I can go to my local alignment shop, which I have been going to for the past 3 years give them the specs and have them do the alignment for $48! I recently had this done, and one nice thing about our IS300 that I did not know was that we have adjustments for camber as well as toe. So if camber is out of adjustment, there is no need to constantly buy camber kits, like bmw's. Lexus engineers pretty nice cars, it's just a shame that the dealers are so greedy.

Here's the link for alignment specs for future reference. How's life in MN? My bro use to live out there when he was in Med School in ST. Paul. Unfortunately, he's back in so. cal. constantly bugging me

http://www.clublexus.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18953
My local Goodyear shop had these specs last I went for an alignment, so I'm not sure if it's a secret anymore, but thanks for posting that link

1 - 8 of 8 Posts