Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is going to be the most girlish sounding question...but whatever..im a girl so i can ask it....I tried doing a search but well it didnt work as well as I hoped.....ok so I live in MA when it snowed recently I got my car stuck it made a funny sound that came from the from end area when i would hit the gas kinda whindy sounding? Is this normal

·
Registered
602 Posts
Most likely this is your traction control kicking in. Sounds kinda funny, somewhat like an alarm, and gears grinding. You'll see a little yellow icon in the lower left hand of your display that looks like a car skidding out. It'll be blinking. If for some reason you don't see the icon flashing, maybe it's something different. You can turn your Traction Control on/off with the button located right below your radio. Good luck.

- Steve

·
Registered
214 Posts
Yeah, if you get stuck I'd turn the traction control off and maybe use the snow button if you have one. When your wheels start to spin and the trac is on the car thinks you are losing control or something and will apply the brakes selectively to the spinning wheel. This happened to me once before I figured it out. Also, I'd turn it back on once you get going.

·
Banned
371 Posts
or.. when you are giving it gas.. it sounds like thise when the wheels are just spinning. "rrhhheeeeeee" lol

if you are stuck, the tires will spin in place.. sounds like someone dragging a screw driver over a conveyer belt really fast. (if you know what that sounds like?) haha

sorry. hopefully its nothing horrible though

·
Registered
214 Posts
or.. when you are giving it gas.. it sounds like thise when the wheels are just spinning. "rrhhheeeeeee" lol

if you are stuck, the tires will spin in place.. sounds like someone dragging a screw driver over a conveyer belt really fast. (if you know what that sounds like?) haha

sorry. hopefully its nothing horrible though
oh shit...this could be funny :fool:

·
Banned
371 Posts
:p

the topic does say "sound when car gets stuck in snow?" so thats where i come in!! "rrrhhhheeeeeeee" lol

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
:p

the topic does say "sound when car gets stuck in snow?" so thats where i come in!! "rrrhhhheeeeeeee" lol

haha yea it sounds like that but my tires dont actually sound like there are moving ...idk its wierd.. im such a girl when it comes to this stuff lol....i so hope its nothing bad

·
Banned
371 Posts
haha yea it sounds like that but my tires dont actually sound like there are moving ...idk its wierd.. im such a girl when it comes to this stuff lol....i so hope its nothing bad

Well.. i wouldnt recommend duplicating it again.. lol but, if it happens again, maybe have someone see whats happening while you do everything the same?
that is what my honest opinion would be. Your tire scrapping up against the snow.
I grew up in snow, so its happened a lot to me. But.. good luck! You just reminded me i need to go boarding!

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Like others have said... it's likely just the traction control hard at work. If you are truly stuck and TRAC won't let you move... just turn off the trac temporarily and get yourself moving. If you have no traction at all... leaving the traction control on may actually cause your car not to move at all! Basically the computer keeps thinking it's spinning... so it keeps cutting power to the point where no power is being applied to the wheels at all. :confused:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Funny, I live in MA too and had the same question. When the traction control is ON and the snow button is NOT depressed, I hear a strange noise too when the tires start loosing traction. It definitely sounds bad, like gears or metal clicking. I'm sure this is normal. Anyone else confirm this is normal operation when the traction control kicks in?

·
Premium Member
10,782 Posts
I grew up in snow, so its happened a lot to me. But.. good luck! You just reminded me i need to go boarding!
Just went boarding today. It was a blast. My first time up this yr. Im am sore and stiff. This is me today...relaxing:cloud9:

Funny, I live in MA too and had the same question. When the traction control is ON and the snow button is NOT depressed, I hear a strange noise too when the tires start loosing traction. It definitely sounds bad, like gears or metal clicking. I'm sure this is normal. Anyone else confirm this is normal operation when the traction control kicks in?
I concur, it sounds like your just hit redline and your RPMs are around 2000.

·
Premium Member
23,314 Posts
Its ABS cycling and is normal operation. Dont worry about it. Keep driving!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts