Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as i just recently finished my custom exhaust, which i went with the machine bend exhaust piping, i begin to wonder whether it really makes that big of a difference on machine bend pipings or mandrel bend pipings.

my setup:

- injen intake
- mazzuri headers
- mazzuri y-pipe
- custom 2.5" catback, split into two 2.25" with ebay exhaust. (machine bend)

now before people wanna start talking smack about ebay exhaust, read http://my.is/forums/f88/cheap-exhaust-262404/ and plz dont comment on it unless its a fact, even better if you've experienced it.

now the question is,

does machine bend really restrict airflow, due to the way it is bent?

how is the sound quality comparing machine bend and mandrel bend? does the material come in to play as well?

FINALLY,

with the common drone/rasp issue IS owners get with after market exhaust, would mandrel bend exhaust piping make everything better? or is it up to the exhaust we use?

I have gone through two sets of exhaust, and still have the drone at 3k rpm. which i've heard im not the only one. so if i was to replace my catback with all mandrel bend, would it fix my problem? or do i have to replace my exhaust with a tanabe or apexi oval exhaust?

sorry for such a long write up. but my mind has been full of questions.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sound quality wise... anyone know the difference?

·
Registered
698 Posts
What do you mean by machine bend?..A mandrel bender is a machine bender as far as i know...Do you mean crush bend vs mandrel bend?..

·
Banned
1,309 Posts
You won't notice a difference.

If someone says they do, it's all in their head.

·
Registered
633 Posts
how does your car sound? im curious as to how it is. i think it looks really nice. good job on the looks

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What do you mean by machine bend?..A mandrel bender is a machine bender as far as i know...Do you mean crush bend vs mandrel bend?..
yes

You won't notice a difference.

If someone says they do, it's all in their head.
check the link that Daniel from mazurri posted.

how does your car sound? im curious as to how it is. i think it looks really nice. good job on the looks
to be honest, the exhaust makes a huge difference. this is my second set of exhaust, and its a bit quiet for my taste.

·
Banned
1,309 Posts
check the link that Daniel from mazurri posted.
I'm well aware of the performance values between the two types of bending. I made that comment based on sound alone. But it seems the OP is more concerned about sound than performance.

A good setup would be 3" mandrel bent with minimal bends.

Anyways, most of the sound variances comes from canister design and resonators.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts