Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I currently have a 240sx, had it for 4 years and I've wrenched a lot on it. I like to think i'm confident enough to make some repairs on my own cars. Especially older ones like the IS and my 240 for example. Here is the thing, I don't own a IS and im looking to buy one. I was hoping to get opinions on the one that I found near me. If you look at the ad you'll see it has its obvious problems. Specifically the fact that the guy says it needs a new cat. I can get a new one and install it, sure. What im worried about is what may have caused the cat to go bad. Who knows? I don't want to fix all the issues for the motor to fail on me in some other area. The plan would be to offer less than the asking price since it needs so much work then use the rest of my money on repairs. would you IS owners advise against this? or not? I made a list of what needs to and or should be repaired on the car and if it was taken to a shop, we're looking at almost 4 grand. id offer 1,000 but that's almost a dicky lowball offer, at the same time I dont want to be that guy but c'mon..idk. Thats why im here, Thoughts please.

·
Registered
864 Posts
When’s the last time it had the timing belt? You can do the cam seals, front main, water pump and timing belt at the same time. If you can do the work yourself it’s fairly cheap for good parts. If you need a mechanic the labor is fairly costly ...figure 600-800$ for labor. If you can work on your 240, then this Toyota will be no problem man.

I’d try to put a code reader on the car and see what codes you get. Assuming the codes are cat-related, theres still no guarantee that a cat will make the codes disappear either. May be a oxygen sensor, or something else even. The Craigslist ad said it had 211,000 so the stock cat is probably just done and needing replacement. Look into the magnaflow cat I am pretty sure it’s carb happy and fairly affordable.

I am concerned about the orange jug behind the drivers seat in the Craigslist ad. Is that a coolant jug? The seller didn’t mention changing the coolant, so does it have a leak that needs topping up? May be nothing but is something to look for. These take the Toyota pink super long life coolant after 2004 and the long life red coolant pre2004. I think they’re pretty interchangeable as long as you get rid of all the old stuff.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When’s the last time it had the timing belt? You can do the cam seals, front main, water pump and timing belt at the same time. If you can do the work yourself it’s fairly cheap for good parts. If you need a mechanic the labor is fairly costly ...figure 600-800$ for labor. There’s no gaurentee that a cat will make the codes disappear either. May be a oxygen sensor
I asked the guy and he said he couldn't remember..soo i just lumped that into work that would need to be done. Any suggestions for what you think might be a reasonable offer for that car?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
to quote him he said, " sorry man, i cant find the paperwork. Honestly it probably needs to be changed again".

I have a generic code reader, i'll see if I can give it a go. And yeah that does look like a coolant jug on the rear floorboard to me. I'll have to bring that up if and when I go have a look at it.

Thanks for the response, if you happen to think of anything else please do let me know.

·
Registered
864 Posts
to quote him he said, " sorry man, i cant find the paperwork. Honestly it probably needs to be changed again".
May as well said “don’t lowball me. I know what I got” haha. Anyhow, I’d hit back with 1500$. That cat is like 700$ by itself. The timing belt stuff will run like 300ish. You’re going to have to strike a balance where you get the car for a decent price and can have some headroom to fix on it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
May as well said “don’t lowball me. I know what I got” haha. Anyhow, I’d hit back with 1500$. That cat is like 700$ by itself. The timing belt stuff will run like 300ish. You’re going to have to strike a balance where you get the car for a decent price and can have some headroom to fix on it.
Ha Im sure you're right! I don't know how I didn't see that he meant that. 1500 seems fair. Ah, still kinda a gamble on whether or not the repairs fix it like you said. I guess I have a lil more thinking to do.
Thanks Kris

-Bret

·
Registered
378 Posts
A fair amount of work. A lot of questions. Its also a slush box. 24mpg - dont think so! Buyer beware and be aware!
$1500, sure.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey,

So another question I have is, If I bought this 1500 dollar car, how does the sale work? Because technically it’s not a legal sale in CA if the car isn’t smogged. Do I have the owner fill out all the applicable forms. ROL, title transfer and then once I get the car smogged I can get register it in my name?

thanks

·
Registered
378 Posts
non-op maybe? They are checking registrations really, so if it was registered recently might be okay, otherwise trailer it. I have heard of numerous sales without the seller smogging it. I bought a truck, missing its cats that way. Bought the car, put on the cats, and was good to go. Did however drive it home questionably for a decent distance.

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
1,372 Posts
Seems like a lot of hassle for $1500 still IMHO. Cats aren’t cheap. I would 100% do the timing belt and water pump service as well.

If it was Smogged that would be great. However since it’s not, you would take the title (if he has it) fill out the back portion that says “new registered owner” and get it Smogged yourself. Then you can just go and complete the registration at the dmv.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea it kinda is. But there aren’t many is to choose from in my area. That was my reasoning. I might as well just drive 100-200 miles and pick up a running one for 3.5-4k. Time will tell.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Pulled the trigger on a car yesterday. It needs some tlc but overall it runs well. I drove it four hours back to my home with no issue other than needing to make sure the oil didn’t get low. It has a leak somewhere. Paint needs work but I’m stoked. Gonna get the leak taken care of first then save up for any other work it might need. Thank you all for your input! Gald I didn’t buy the other car I posted here.

I did have another offer on a car that was in better cosmetic condition..so I beat myself up a little bit because the price would have been basically the same. BUT at the end of the day its all said and done. I own this one outright, I like how it drives and it’s green like my 240 was. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts