Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, Im currently in the process of picking up a boosted IS from what seems to be a reliable seller. The car has a built motor with gte rods forged pistons low compression etc. It's currently running a turbonetics kit at around 6 psi on a street tune through greddy emanage ultimate. The car does have a stock auto trans. (which I will get built when it blows, maybe just a trans cooler meanwhile.) My main concern is getting the vehicle tuned I read that its a bit difficult to tune these cars, and that many people do a piggy back method. I'd love some insight on that topic, and also someone could recommend a good tuner in so cal that would be great. My plan for the car is to keep it auto as a sleeper and daily driver try n get a flex fuel sensor, injectors, bigger fuel pump, and e85. Aiming for 500-600rwhp. Im a bit familiar with 4cyl turbos but mainly spent a lot of time in the v8 scene. I also have a built heads cam forged internals GTO that i plan on boosting, and a GsxR 750. So this will be my fun little four door commuter.

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
242 Posts
First off, welcome. Next, you can certainly find some answers to the questions you have by using the search function. As you have already figured out, tuning these cars is quite difficult. Piggybacks will work to an extent, you Will simply need to call around some tuner shops in your area to se if they can tune your emanage. If they can then there you go. Being that you have the auto, you have no choice but to leave the stock ECU in place to control the transmission. As far as 500-600whp I assume you mean, you would want to dial that back to around 400-450whp. I have seen people push 600+ through these a650e transmissions. However you will need to modify it NOW if you plan on making over 350whp. An external transmission cooler is a must! Also shimming the accumulators is a must and raising the line pressure.

I soon will be doing the same thing in about a month. Just been collecting parts. I am aiming for around 400-450whp. I will be purchasing megasquirt MS3 to run the car on.

also side note, I too am working on a LQ9 motor. Lol

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First off, welcome. Next, you can certainly find some answers to the questions you have by using the search function. As you have already figured out, tuning these cars is quite difficult. Piggybacks will work to an extent, you Will simply need to call around some tuner shops in your area to se if they can tune your emanage. If they can then there you go. Being that you have the auto, you have no choice but to leave the stock ECU in place to control the transmission. As far as 500-600whp I assume you mean, you would want to dial that back to around 400-450whp. I have seen people push 600+ through these a650e transmissions. However you will need to modify it NOW if you plan on making over 350whp. An external transmission cooler is a must! Also shimming the accumulators is a must and raising the line pressure.

I soon will be doing the same thing in about a month. Just been collecting parts. I am aiming for around 400-450whp. I will be purchasing megasquirt MS3 to run the car on.

I did search, but couldn't really find much on the forum for a good tuner for using he Greddy Emangae. However I did find a friend that advised me me to check out kaizen motorsports, he stated that they are one of the best tuners for VVTI 2jZ, so I will give them a call. If anyone else wants to chime in be my guest.

AND YEA 500-600 RWHP. Going to get a trans cooler and do the valve body upgrade on the auto trans and once it blows but something stronger. Not planning on doing digs or launching hard, so I'm assuming it'll hold for a good amount of time.

As for doing an LQ9 nice choice. What are the details?
That thing can hold a lot of power. If your going to boost it slap some 317 heads on there to lower the compression, and make sure to get those arp bolts while you're there.

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
242 Posts
Will be running a Texas speed rotating assembly. PRC heads and a pro charger eventually

1 - 4 of 4 Posts