Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey, i'm lookin for some bass, but, i don't want too much. i had 2 kenwood 12" subs, and that was too much. so, i'm trying to sell them by the way. anyway, i had a good idea bout a sub. i'm thinking of getting a Sony Explode 8" sub, and have it mounted between the 2 speakers in the back. i want to know, is this posible. i see in the trunk that there 2 rods going to the trunk lid....can these be avoided? i want it between the 2 speakers behind the back seats...i don't want to buy a box, and all that in the trunk.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ya mean no one here knows anything bout those 2 rods in the trunk....? those rods have to go somewhere...i believe they are connected to the trunk lid. all i want to do is put a 8" sony Explode sub between the 2 speakers in the back near the back window. all i want to know is if its possible.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Your description is kinda vague, but the only rods I know of going across the rear like that are the trunk lid springs. They're tension springs, not coil springs. You'll notice they twist when the trunk is opening or closing.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea, if ya open the trunk you'll see the bottoms of the 2 6x9 speakers. those rods right under the speakers are the rods i'm talkin bout. 1 moves when you close the trunk lid. but, i'm wanting to put a sub in between the 2 speakers, and have the bottom of the sub come down just like the 6x9 speakers. but, those rods are in the area where the sub bottom would be. i just want to know if its possible to fit a sub there.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
It is possible, just not recommended. It will compromise the integrity of the rear deck, making it less rigid and will rattle alot more. And Sony Xplod subs are NOT high quality woofers. You will be much better off with just 1 10 in a sealed enclosure. Check out the JL W0 and W1 series. Good quality on a budget.

·
Registered
23,822 Posts
You are doing a Sony Xplode speaker. The fabrication of this will cost 10x that of the subwoofer. Just have it fire through the skipass and be done with it.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hey guys, here is another thought....can you put an 8" under the back seats...? the back seats have a bottom part that is carpet. that is where the sub would go...one the right, and one on the left. then, the amp in the trunk. can this be done, and if it has been done, some pics...?

·
Registered
23,822 Posts
Definitely cannot be done under the back seats. Its extremely easy to take them out, just pull up on them at the sides. Its really easy, you will see where I am talking about.

Then you will notice its all sheetmetal and no room. Nice idea though. I really think your best idea is to just put the subwoofer in the back through the ski pass.

Or you could turn the gain down on your current setup...

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well, i have the stock system right now, and it sounds good...the bass is all the way up, but, i'd like a little bit more thump...its good for the movies. :)

·
8,880 Posts
Just get yourself a good set of speakers and call it a day. Seriously.

Reactions: magoo
1 - 12 of 12 Posts