Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight on my way home from work I get rear-ended at a busy intersection (University & New Hampshire/ Silver Spring, MD). It was dark and raining so I couldn't see clear enough through my rear window to make out the vehicle- other than it was a red truck with the front end smashed in. I pull forward and he just sits there, so I stop driving and then he starts to follow me. The only place to pull over was an entrance to a shopping plaza, but I don't pull in thinking he might keep going, and I wouldn't be able to back up or turn around to follow him- shoud he run. So I pull off along a bus stop immediately after the plaza entrance, and he slips into the lot. As I wait for the traffic to pass, to back up to go in, he gives me the slip. I check around the lot in my car and then get out to see the damage and basically just curse at what happened. A few minutes later I see a red truck with the front smashed in pulling out to go in the same original direction. I run up to him, "hey you need to pull over- you damaged my car", and he looks at me like he doesn't understand me. I think he was El Salvadorian (many live in the area). I got his plate, but I truthfully can't be certain it was the same guy. Even though I'm almost certain it was from what I could see. Then I figured even if it was- what could I prove. The police won't look for my paint on his bumper and the insurance company wouldn't bother for such a small claim. It would be his word against mine.

I called the police, but they were to busy to stop to do a report so I just cancelled and left after about an hour. From first glance it looks as though only the bumper cover will need replaced. I crawled underneath with a flash light, and I don't see any damage (course I'm not a professional) other than the styrofome padding looks like it may need replaced too. I'm really afraid to call the claim in because I've dealt with insurance co.s before. Even a hit-n-run claim, while a previous car of mine was sitting, later showed up on their records as a collision. I know I will be f***ed if I report it so I'm thinking of sucking it up and paying for the repairs myself. Anyone have any ideas of cost for a new skin and paint by a rep. body shop? I'm guesstimating $1500. ish?

Damn those assholes for getting away with this. Their probably already out drinking or something not even giving it a thought. Meanwhile it's going to cost me hundreds of dollars just to get my car back to the way it was... :pissed:

·
Premium Member
15,322 Posts
Sorry to hear.

new rear bumper and paint will be nowhere near $1500.

Bumper is listed at $255.43, styrofoam absorber at $57.58 plus paint and labor, which you could do yourself.

You figure around $500. Bout the same as most would pay for deductible. Unless there is more damage. Usually hit and run doesn't raise your rates.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had my rear bumper cover replaced last year do to a finder bender. It was $1200 with no additional damage. I paid the $250 deductible and called it a day. My wife's G35 sedan's rear bumper cover was just replaced a month ago for the same reason. I took it to a different body shop and the cost was slightly higher. Again, with no additional damage.

·
Registered
9 Posts
that's crap man. the 255 sounds about what i paid when i replaced mine a few months ago. I did it myself with the help of a neighbor. i had to replace the cover, foam and rebar. insurance companies can really screw you if you aren't careful.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for all of your input. I decided not to even bother with the police report. I know nothing would come of it in my favor and down the road when I'm asked, "how many accidents have you been involved in...", that number will be 1 less.

btw- what the hell is a rebar? expensive?

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
Sorry to hear that man & that is BS... Rule of thumb for future reference, always get out regardless and memorize/write down plate #s and take a good look @ the driver. This shiet happens all the time! Also, make it a habit to carry around a dig camera... If it ever happens again, take snap shots of both cars, license plates and the driver! GL man!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts