Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since gas prices is on the rise, is it still worth it to keep the IS300??? The amount of gas that it eats, EPA 18 cty/ and 25 hwy, is a lot consideringthe power that it puts out 215 hp at the crank. Newer cars such as the 350Z, Acura TL, G35, even the IS350 are a lot more fuel efficient compared the the IS300 and at the same time produce hell a lot more power, from 270-300+ hp at the crank. So here is my dilema, do I keep the IS300 or do I sell it???

If I modify with bolt ons to my IS300, according to the go fast forum, I can get around 200-220 whp. Does that translate to around 240-250 at the crank??? And does that mean that it is then just as powerful as the new BMW 330i? And will the fuel comsumption be similar to stock or will mileage decrease?

Another route, spend $like 6000 for a TurboEast stage 1 turbo kit and get like 300whp. It'll turn the IS into a monster. However, how will gas mileage measure up? Again will it be close to stock or will mileage decrease. According to Brandon in this forum he claims that mileage is similar to stock... anyone can confirm that?

My last option, give up on the IS300 and go for something like an acura TL six speed. That thing is 270 hp with 20 city / 30 hwy. My car have 5-6k worth of audio/navi equipment in it, If i do sell it, how much can i sell it for???

Another problem with selling... Since the IS is the last vehicle with the legendary 2JZ engine in it, in the future, will the IS300 become one of those hard to get Nissan 240SX,AE86 Trueno or even an RX-7? What I'm getting to is, will the IS300 become a collectible, classic, hard to get ride in the future that people will die for.

These are just some things on my mind and its killing me. Which route to take, I can only trust my fellow .net members to help me decide. Thanks for the input and I will give out +rep to helpful individuals. Thanks once again.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just drop in a 2JZ-GTE
I have been checking out Turboeast kits, they seem good..
but wow are the costly i can peace all that together and get it cheaper.

There are so much stuff out there for the 2JZ-GTE
i am not 100% but does the mani from a 2JZ-GTE, fit on the IS 2JZ ?
if so, just hoop on Supraforums.com and i am sure some one has a manifold and turbo(s) for sale.
or some thing.

my plans (once i get the car) is to Keep it stock for a couple months..
save up and just drop in a 2JZ-GTE (fully Custom)
Single GT35R,
Downpipe
FMIC
some sort of engine management (EMS maybe?)

my girl has a G35, yes its a great car
my buddy has a TL, also a great car

but i just LOVE the IS300, if i had one, i wouldn’t give it up for those cars.

Single Turbo 2JZ-GTE (supra motor)

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
IS2JZ said:
Just drop in a 2JZ-GTE
I have been checking out Turboeast kits, they seem good..
but wow are the costly i can peace all that together and get it cheaper.

There are so much stuff out there for the 2JZ-GTE
i am not 100% but does the mani from a 2JZ-GTE, fit on the IS 2JZ ?
if so, just hoop on Supraforums.com and i am sure some one has a manifold and turbo(s) for sale.
or some thing.

my plans (once i get the car) is to Keep it stock for a couple months.. save up and just drop in a 2JZ-GTE upboost, Downpipe, FMIC, and minor bolt ons, and call it a day

my girl has a G35, yes its a great car
my buddy has a TL, also a great car

but i just LOVE the IS300, if i had one, i wouldnt give it up for thoses cars.

Teh Go Faster has extimated about $30k for a GTE conversion thats worth anything. Lots of things need to be ucstom fabricated. It isnt just a drop in deal.

·
Registered
16 Posts
GangusKhanh² said:
Teh Go Faster has extimated about $30k for a GTE conversion thats worth anything. Lots of things need to be ucstom fabricated. It isnt just a drop in deal.
Yes I know..

I don’t see it being 30k

Engine mounts
Oil pans
Trans mounts
Driveshaft
Shifter
Wiring
ETC

I can get the motor for a far price, and fabricate a lot of the parts
I have taken Machine shop for 4 years, and I am also a license mechanic

I have a 400WHP (in process of tuning) Nissan 240sx

When I first was researching I always assumed that the motor dropped it.
Like a SR would in a 240

But who knows maybe just parting a turbo kit and turbo the stock 2JZ-GE is the best way to go

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
IS2JZ said:
Yes I know..

I don’t see it being 30k

Engine mounts
Oil pans
Trans mounts
Driveshaft
Shifter
Wiring
ETC

I can get the motor for a far price, and fabricate a lot of the parts
I have taken Machine shop for 4 years, and I am also a license mechanic

I have a 400WHP (in process of tuning) Nissan 240sx

When I first was researching I always assumed that the motor dropped it.
Like a SR would in a 240

But who knows maybe just parting a turbo kit and turbo the stock 2JZ-GE is the best way to go

It all depends at what you are aiming at powerwise. If it's something not out of this world, than leaving a Stock GE block in place might be the best way to go. And like someone has posted before, I don't think that this particular swap is as easy as people think. Don't forget, that there are more things to do than just the engine ( Tranny, rear end, suspension, breaks), once again I'm not sure what your goal is powerwise. But it all adds up pretty fast. That's why saying ohhhhh it will not cost that much, might not be a wise thing to say.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Pawel said:
It all depends at what you are aiming at powerwise. If it's something not out of this world, than leaving a Stock GE block in place might be the best way to go. And like someone has posted before, I don't think that this particular swap is as easy as people think. Don't forget, that there are more things to do than just the engine ( Tranny, rear end, suspension, breaks), once again I'm not sure what your goal is powerwise. But it all adds up pretty fast. That's why saying ohhhhh it will not cost that much, might not be a wise thing to say.
Never said "ohhhhh it will not cost that much"
I said I don’t see it costing that much..

Yes for a moderate power goal of say 300WHP+ i am sure the stock GE block could hold.

I am new the IS/supra/2jz crowd, so... I am open for any opinions
Still reading, and researching on the car, so I am still a noob… hehe..

Wow the day I considered my self a noob, would never think of it

But I don’t want to Thread Jack any more... So....
Back to you "osmosis"

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea I know, please don't make this into a thread that belongs to the GoFaster forum. Please help me out on my decisions.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you’re happy with the car, stick with it, mod it up.

If you feel you would be more comfortable with a different car like the G35, or the TL, 350 etc... Then hey get one

My g/f has one, so i drive in it almost every day.. It’s a GREAT CAR, and has some nice pickup...280hpish
i have no negative comments to say about the G35

Now if you get a G35, it will cost more, so if you dont mind paying more money for a car.. then hey..

·
Garage Pit Crew Chief
5,631 Posts
not worth the depreciation you will eat on any new car. unless you will somehow magically make up $5000 or so in SAVED gas costs by buying the new car ( not happening with the difference being 4-7 mpg ..thats it).

Keep the IS, use your slow button more, and try not driving in the city that much ...you live in NYC,.,there is no need for a car there!

·
Registered
11,025 Posts
That white G35 is maybe the ugliest G35 I have ever seen... EWEWWWWEEWWWW

·
Registered
11,025 Posts
osmosis... power isnt everything... but if it is to you, then you def should sell the IS lol... unless you want to put f/i in it, but thats a big investment, and even if you have the money to get it in, you also need money incase things go wrong...

·
Registered
16 Posts
LexIShirm300 said:
That white G35 is maybe the ugliest G35 I have ever seen... EWEWWWWEEWWWW
other then the Velside lipkit/nissan badged/tint

its stock....

the wheels are also stock

·
Registered
15,585 Posts
Selling the IS and buying another car for a 5mpg increase in fuel economy wont save you any money.

The sales tax alone (~2000) will mean it will take years to break even.

So if saving gas is your only reason to trade cars, the savings just isnt there.

·
Registered
16 Posts
he is saving gas, and will also get more whp (faster car)
i am sure they weight alot more also so.. it not much better
so its not only gas

stay with the IS :cool:
or sell it to me for cheap, and get ur what ever u want

1 - 15 of 15 Posts