Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
called lexus of cerritos
30k mile service $600
brake replacement $255/255?!?!?! (front/back) [did he think i meant calipers + rotors too?]

any advice?

i think im going to luxury motorworks for the service if its really only $255 and for the brake pads? anyone have any suggestions? k thx!

·
8,880 Posts
Hmm...
Skip the service. :-? Save $$$. :eek:
I did (2001 IS). Do the fluid changes yourself and be all-set. :D

Why do you need to change brakes @30K anyway? Do you drive with brake pedal depressed at all times??? :-?
Stock brakes will give you 50K+ miles. :eek:
At 50K my 2001 IS had plenty of life left in the pads.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i drive like a fucking idiot thats why. brakes are burned to shit. everyone tells me 255 per axle [any cheaper anywhere?]

lex of west says $300, WHY SUCH A DIFFERENCE? also, i kinda want to get one of my windows fixed. post accident, one of my windows wasnt installed perfectly so when i close my driverdoor it sounds like the window is colliding with the inside of the door making a really cheap sound. i also have other issues to address such as oil marks made at my last service, etc. idunno, any suggestions? any directions on how i can do this myself?

·
8,880 Posts
This site is full of useful info.
Use search button and you will find a ton of information.
When I do something new on my IS, I bring my laptop (Wireless Lan) with me and read what I need as I do it.

Brake pad replacement is easy. I figured those out with a little help from this site. Rear ones are easy. Front ones are a bit more complex (1 bolt needs to be removed).

I still don't see how you could end up with burned up brakes @ 30K.
I drive very agressively, and still didn't replace pads 'till 50K (due to some idiots suggesting my pads were gone :pissed: ).

Same deal on fluid changes. Search and you will find. 8)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
from the looks of my brakes [looking as close as possible] looks like the rear calipers are almost touching the rotors! the front has about.... 5mms left? last time i went for service... 27k? they said i had 35% and 25% and said its best if i replace next time. how long would replacement take? [purchase, ship, install] etc? where do i buy? or do i search for everything? :eek:

·
Registered
30,635 Posts
vlad_a said:
Stock brakes will give you 50K+ miles. :eek:
At 50K my 2001 IS had plenty of life left in the pads.
Word, I'm at 55k and FINALLY starting to feel the brakes go.

I drive my car really hard and I thought the brakes would go around 30k, if not earlier... nope, still stopping string at 55k, albeit w/ some unwelcome pulsing feedback. The rotors show wear, i asusme the bads are thinning out too... New rotors and pads are about to be ordered...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well when i emergency brake [not using e brake, i mean..... oh shit imma rear end him] the brakes exceed my standards. i go like whoa! that was a close oen! but when i look at the pads, they seem like nothings left! i hear some squeeling and im afraid of rotor damage..... so i dunno. should i post pics of what i see?

·
Registered
128 Posts
I recently did the 15K service ($360) at Lexus Santa Monica, and they told me the brakes in front were wearing, so they changed them for me free of charge AND turned the rotors. I thought it was a nice gesture, but then again, ... who knows.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
im at 32k after 3 yrs. i bet they figured it was a factory defect that they wore that early? idunnnno.

anyways heres the pix:

frontcali.jpg

frontcali2.jpg

frontrotor.jpg

rearcali.jpg

rearcali2.jpg

rearrotor.jpg

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
It might be better if you took off your wheels and looked from the top of the caliper to get an accurate look at how much pad is left.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts