Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
called lexus of cerritos
30k mile service $600
brake replacement $255/255?!?!?! (front/back) [did he think i meant calipers + rotors too?]

any advice?

i think im going to luxury motorworks for the service if its really only $255 and for the brake pads? anyone have any suggestions? k thx!

·
8,849 Posts
Hmm...
Skip the service. :-? Save $$$. :eek:
I did (2001 IS). Do the fluid changes yourself and be all-set. :D

Why do you need to change brakes @30K anyway? Do you drive with brake pedal depressed at all times??? :-?
Stock brakes will give you 50K+ miles. :eek:
At 50K my 2001 IS had plenty of life left in the pads.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i drive like a fucking idiot thats why. brakes are burned to shit. everyone tells me 255 per axle [any cheaper anywhere?]

lex of west says $300, WHY SUCH A DIFFERENCE? also, i kinda want to get one of my windows fixed. post accident, one of my windows wasnt installed perfectly so when i close my driverdoor it sounds like the window is colliding with the inside of the door making a really cheap sound. i also have other issues to address such as oil marks made at my last service, etc. idunno, any suggestions? any directions on how i can do this myself?

·
8,849 Posts
This site is full of useful info.
Use search button and you will find a ton of information.
When I do something new on my IS, I bring my laptop (Wireless Lan) with me and read what I need as I do it.

Brake pad replacement is easy. I figured those out with a little help from this site. Rear ones are easy. Front ones are a bit more complex (1 bolt needs to be removed).

I still don't see how you could end up with burned up brakes @ 30K.
I drive very agressively, and still didn't replace pads 'till 50K (due to some idiots suggesting my pads were gone :pissed: ).

Same deal on fluid changes. Search and you will find. 8)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
from the looks of my brakes [looking as close as possible] looks like the rear calipers are almost touching the rotors! the front has about.... 5mms left? last time i went for service... 27k? they said i had 35% and 25% and said its best if i replace next time. how long would replacement take? [purchase, ship, install] etc? where do i buy? or do i search for everything? :eek:

·
Registered
30,476 Posts
vlad_a said:
Stock brakes will give you 50K+ miles. :eek:
At 50K my 2001 IS had plenty of life left in the pads.
Word, I'm at 55k and FINALLY starting to feel the brakes go.

I drive my car really hard and I thought the brakes would go around 30k, if not earlier... nope, still stopping string at 55k, albeit w/ some unwelcome pulsing feedback. The rotors show wear, i asusme the bads are thinning out too... New rotors and pads are about to be ordered...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well when i emergency brake [not using e brake, i mean..... oh shit imma rear end him] the brakes exceed my standards. i go like whoa! that was a close oen! but when i look at the pads, they seem like nothings left! i hear some squeeling and im afraid of rotor damage..... so i dunno. should i post pics of what i see?

·
Registered
118 Posts
I recently did the 15K service ($360) at Lexus Santa Monica, and they told me the brakes in front were wearing, so they changed them for me free of charge AND turned the rotors. I thought it was a nice gesture, but then again, ... who knows.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
im at 32k after 3 yrs. i bet they figured it was a factory defect that they wore that early? idunnnno.

anyways heres the pix:

frontcali.jpg

frontcali2.jpg

frontrotor.jpg

rearcali.jpg

rearcali2.jpg

rearrotor.jpg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.