Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was pretty "PO"ed when i found out that my IS300 was keyed after washing it...its not that bad...only on the back, a couple of slashes here and there...anyways...i was just wondering if there is any way i can get key marks touched up by the dealer of aftermarket stuff...i have a silver one too..
i would be very very thankful for any help

·
Registered
448 Posts
was the scratch all the way to the metal? or just through the clear coat? if its to the metal, then you need it repainted. if its through the clear coat the dealer should be able to buff it out.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I am sorry hear about the your car getting keyed....I share your pain. It happened to me once before and I was so P-off I couldn't sleep for 2 nights following the incident. It is bad enough they would break into your car for even small-change items, but damage someone else's property simply out of envy is much worse. I hope they catch those sh*theads that did that to your car in Texas and throw them in a frying pan.
Given all circumstances, I guess it is inevitable for this to happen to a few of us -- the price for public attention.

As atom mentioned, if the scratch is not to the metal, you or the dealer should be able to buff it off. Otherwise, you are probably looking a paint job that will set you back $400-600.

My deepest sympathy.

·
Registered
94 Posts
That sucks big time! I had the samething happened to me when I had my brand new Honda Delsol tricked out. It had a brand new paint job too! Those MF's keyed it all the way around. All I could say to you becareful where you park next time. I don't want this happen to me so I don't drive my IS to school. I take my beat up Civic instead. Punks at schools are always the ones keying cars. Jealousy or just A-S-S-H-O-L-E-S?

I'm not sure the extent of your damage, but it will definitely going to cost you $1000+ because you don't want to spot paint. It has to be painted per panel and there is a lot of prep work involved. After market paint is NEVER as good as the original.

Simon

·
Registered
172 Posts
Yeah, a really, really good paint job might cost you up to a grand, but anything reasonable above the compresensive deductable should be covered by insurance w/ no points added.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanx for the help people...but why would it cost sooo much?? There are about 6 key marks altogether, all of them ranging around 2 inches each, only on the back bumper, and 2 key marks are cut to the metal. So, how much would it cost to repaint 4 inches of key marks...to me its sooo tiny, but still PIsses me off.
thank you

·
Registered
172 Posts
Doesn't matter if the scratches are 2 inches or 2 feet long, they will have to repaint the whole rear bumper. You can use touch-up paint (which will only cost you 10 bucks or so) but it will be noticable. Realisticly I think the paint job will cost $400-600, but since the insurance will cover anything above the deductable, why not take it to an upscale bodyshop and get a premium paint job.
Make sure the insurance approves if the cost is above their appraisal.

·
Registered
258 Posts
can't believe people do that still nowadays... i thought it only happened when back in my high school days... i'm sorry to hear that... hope u can try some wax or polisher and remove these scratches...

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I feel better now...just came back from an Auto Body Express(Longo told me to go there) and they estimated that it would cost 150 to repaint my scratches, thanx anyways for you people who gave the suggestions.

·
Registered
994 Posts
You should check out Holmes Auto Body.. they have a bunch of branches in Southern California.. closest one to you is probably in Pasadena. They are the best body shop I've ever used.

--k

·
Registered
654 Posts
I worry about people keying my car just as much as people slamming their doors into my defenseless car when I park it in the mall or shopping center. I get a lot of walking excercise when I go out...because I park far away from everyone :). My friends were thinking that people at my school would key it, but thank god, there are cameras. Sweet electronic surveillance. My vigilant protectors. ^_^

P.S. Some idiots were keying some guy's Mustang last year, got caught, and lost his scholarship to college. Justice prevails!
>=)

·
Registered
259 Posts
Originally posted by Longhorn:
One good thing about living in Texas:
Keyers, if caught, automatically get
the death penalty.
You'd better be joking, there's no way this bill ever passed.

·
Registered
187 Posts
tlin8,

Where'd you get your car keyed at? San Marino? Just wondering what areas I might need to watch our for.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Check out Marco's at San Gabriel. They do a lot of high end cars and I had my Delsol painted there and very happy with the result. They are not cheap, but they are very good.

sklim1

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
LOL...San Marino isn't a ghetto area, it's actually an upper-middle class community. Anyways, there are lots of jealous spoiled brats that live there, such as the one(s) who keyed tlin8's IS.

Originally posted by DMX:
tlin8,

Where'd you get your car keyed at? San Marino? Just wondering what areas I might need to watch our for.

·
Registered
187 Posts
JW,

I didn't mean to imply that San Marino was a "bad" area...in fact, I know its a upper middle class area, same with parts of Pasadena. I was just wondering what areas to avoid thats all. Just in case...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
About this Discussion
24 Replies
16 Participants
DonCorleone
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing