Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
i know this is irrelevant, buy why did you take the pics through the viewfinder instead of just looking at the lcd?? :-?

oh...also, i think that cut was done with a car. i think it's pretty tough to cut through plastic or fiberglass with a knife. maybe the car had a sharp grill or something. besides, isn't there a crash bar behind the bumper? that doesn't give the person with the knife too much depth (leverage) for a nice clean cut.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol, i was using the LCD screen, just for some reason i have a habit of still putting it up close to my face :lol: but yeah, i just dont see how a car can make that clean of a cut.........and theres no paint from the other car as well as no paint missing from my car, just the cut. BTW the crash bar is only on the middle part of the bumper

·
8,880 Posts
Maybe someone ran into you? :-?
It is not easy to cut plastic on the bumper. :eek:
That is just sad. :cry:
On a positive note, it is better than being keyed. All you have to do is replace the bumper ~$500.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
very true but its still 500 that i shouldnt have to spend, i know its already been said millions of times but sucks how a person cant have a damn thing in this world. People just have no repect :shame:

·
8,880 Posts
IS300_Onyx_SportDesign said:
complain to your insurance copy and then go to a body shop that waves the detuctable...then you wont lose any money
It's a $500 job. If deductible is $500, good luck finding such shop. :lol: Insurance adjusters are not stupid either. :roll:

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
how do i know if a shop waives the deductible. Sorry if i come off kind of new but ive never had an accident and have never gone through insurance for anything. So i wouldnt pay a dime? Do you guys think i should go stock or LSportline i get a replacement. I was thinking of doing LSportline sides/RMM front anyway :-?

·
Registered
9,720 Posts
BUTRBALL12 said:
how do i know if a shop waives the deductible. Sorry if i come off kind of new but ive never had an accident and have never gone through insurance for anything. So i wouldnt pay a dime? Do you guys think i should go stock or LSportline i get a replacement. I was thinking of doing LSportline sides/RMM front anyway :-?
you mine as well go Lsportline/RMM now since you are going to replace the bumper anyways...you don't think bondo could fix that? :wink:

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:wink: back at ya :D ......yeah i might just end up doing that before anything (not how i had planned) but im still a little afraid of buying the rear bumper and having fitment issues like so many others. Im paranoid about my car and i know that even if it fit somewhat properly id be very nit-picky about it. Are there any other rear bumpers that are subtle as the LSportline? Anyone have any more ideas how this could have happenned? Im still not believing that someone hit me, it just looks so clean :-? Thanks for those who have responded

·
Registered
212 Posts
just a suggestion... you might want to just get it quoted from a body shop just to see where you stand. also might want to try a body shop that just does motorcycles. i've had two bikes, (92 cbr 600 & 95 zx-7), and body work to both of them. these bike body shops are relitively cheap. i got one of my $500 cowling fixed and repainted for $200, (mined you this was back in '96). but my cowling was +10x worse than your "clean cut", and looked like new when it was done. if your bumber is plastic they weld more plastic to it and sand and paint. if it is fiberglass, it's pretty much the same thing. just another $0.02.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
sasquatchIS said:
just a suggestion... you might want to just get it quoted from a body shop just to see where you stand. also might want to try a body shop that just does motorcycles. i've had two bikes, (92 cbr 600 & 95 zx-7), and body work to both of them. these bike body shops are relitively cheap. i got one of my $500 cowling fixed and repainted for $200, (mined you this was back in '96). but my cowling was +10x worse than your "clean cut", and looked like new when it was done. if your bumber is plastic they weld more plastic to it and sand and paint. if it is fiberglass, it's pretty much the same thing. just another $0.02.
i think our bumpers are some sort of polyurethane so i dont know how it can be fixed. Also ive gotten a quote for a new bumper painted and applied....$600

·
Registered
321 Posts
BUTRBALL12 said:
very true but its still 500 that i shouldnt have to spend, i know its already been said millions of times but sucks how a person cant have a damn thing in this world. People just have no repect :shame:
I still got my stock GGP rear bumper Fig, if you want it let me know.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
looks like some dood reversed into your car and had a rear trailer hitch..yah know the ones with that chrome ball on top..

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
dayvers said:
looks like some dood reversed into your car and had a rear trailer hitch..yah know the ones with that chrome ball on top..
alot of people have been telling me this and it seems reasonable, i know that right below the balls is a metal square platform that can be very sharp, i would bet that was the case

·
Registered
159 Posts
I would venture to say that someone hit you. The trailer hitch is a good call as well as - if you look at some of the Fedex/UPS style of trucks, their rear bumper is a step up type bumper with squared off sides and corners. They could easily do that.

As far as what's behind the bumper - the crash bar is about 3 feet long centered on the rear - however - there is styrofoam over that with a total width of about 3 1/2 feet - not that it's relevant.

??waving deductible?? C'mon - the only time I've ever seen that done is if you (1) know the body shop guy, (2) get a job done on the side with the leftover cash after your insurance company has paid the claim, minus your deductible, or (3) your insurance company reimburses you more than enough for the repair to make the body shop feel as though they are making their money. I've never heard of it just "being waved." Not unless you're sporting Double D's, Daisey Dukes and the rest of the Pamela Anderson persona.... (no offense intended ladies)

Later - best of luck to you. See if you can find a used bumper, same color as yours. It's actually somewhat simple to remove and replace. I just did it last weekend on my car.

·
Registered
15,585 Posts
its a 500 dollar job, dont bother with insurance, its not worth getting them involved because your rates will increase when you really need to use them...

·
Registered
159 Posts
I agree. Although in MA, with a hit and run or vandalism, it is not surchargable. Therefore, your rates will not increase at all, but you will have to pay your deductible.
:pissed:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts