Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im getting my car back from the body shop today, got my entire hood grill lip front bumper and back bumper painted, due to large amounts of chips and cracks in the bumper and hood from the previous owner. I know paint takes like 3 months to cure and after a search some members are stating that you shouldnt do anything at all with fresh paint. No wax no expel, No rain.. Nothiing!! this is quite impossible for me considering it is my daily driver.. This coming saturday i need to drive 4 hours (220 miles) back up to school and i was planning on using painters tape to cover the front bumper hood and grill.. Is this not a good idea due to possible adhesive contaminents to the paint?? Can i not wash my car at all for a month??

thanks in advance

-Adam

·
Registered
13,954 Posts
painters tape leaves no residue nothing clean off

I use it often

Also dealer grade stuff sometimes

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
You can wash your car, don't worry... use the painters tape for the drive, and then give her a nice wash. Also, make sure the front end is clean before applying the tape. As for wax, xpel, etc... wait about a month, and you should be OK.

·
Premium Member
15,322 Posts
you can wash. just not wax and stuff since the chemicals may react negatively with the paint. on my is300s when ive had paint work its always been a month cure time.

·
Premium Member
5,701 Posts
After 6 weeks your paint will be okay for wax paint or whatever.

Bodyshops recommend against xpel-like materials because in the long run they are more of a pain (discolored paint, hard to remove). It's usually cheaper in the longrun to get your bumper resprayed every 5 years...

·
Registered
13,954 Posts
Inspar8r said:
After 6 weeks your paint will be okay for wax paint or whatever.

Bodyshops recommend against xpel-like materials because in the long run they are more of a pain (discolored paint, hard to remove). It's usually cheaper in the longrun to get your bumper resprayed every 5 years...

dang I got mine redone

every 6 months :cool:

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the advice guys.. Yeahh, when i went to go pick up the car yesterday they washed it. So that answered my question there. I will probably stay away from xpel. I hope the paint stays this way for a while.. Its so clean looking now, no swirls..just beautiful

·
Super Moderator
13,453 Posts
It wont stay that way cause the way lexus paint is it sucks.

I had my hood repainted and literally 4 months later the thing was chipped so bad i had to have it redone again. I meant to Xpel it this time and didnt and its beat to shit again so im about to have to go back for another $600 paint job on my hood. Im using Xpel this time no matter what.

and no its not cause my painter doesnt know what hes doing he definately knows what hes doing the guy has had 16 magazine covers and now 32 photoshoots for cars and trucks hes painted so dont go down that alley and tell me its cause my painter sucks

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wow 4 months??? thats crazy.. do you drive alot on highways?? im hoping mine does not chipp away.. By the way how much does xpel cost??..and also 600 is alot for just a hood but i guess if your painter is that good he could afford to charge those prices.. My paint job came out really good.. Cant see any smudges or imperfections on edges.. I got my hood front bumper fenders back bumper lip and grill painted and my entire car compounded to get rid of swirls for 500... Ive had work done from the same guy on my old car and the paint didnt chip after that// i hope my IS will be ok.. but thanks for the info.. i'll do a little more research on this xpel thing

·
Premium Member
2,767 Posts
get the 3M car protection film, works wonders :)

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Nice to hear those swirls are gone. Will it be out tonight?

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeupp the car will be there...see u tonight

·
Registered
7,122 Posts
naphibuzz said:
..and also 600 is alot for just a hood but i guess if your painter is that good he could afford to charge those prices....
everywhere i've gone they've quoted 450-600 just for the hood. fockers..

·
Registered
941 Posts
I usually get quoted somewhere in the $500 dollar range for a re-paint of my hood as well... damn.

You got a really good deal naphibuzz, do you know the owner of the body shop or something?

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
rllinghardis300 said:
everywhere i've gone they've quoted 450-600 just for the hood. fockers..
Cot damn you guys need to come to NY where Autobody work is cheap as hell since there are millions of them competing with each other. I mean its not the most amazing job but it defentely above average and for that price i got i really cant complain...Swirl marks were my biggest concern.. to compound the entire car at a detail shop easily run me 200.. Thats 40% of my total cost of painting all those pieces of my car + the compounding..

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ill_IS said:
I usually get quoted somewhere in the $500 dollar range for a re-paint of my hood as well... damn.

You got a really good deal naphibuzz, do you know the owner of the body shop or something?

yeah i kind of do..they do the job off the books for me as long as its cash..Normally that job at that shop would run you about 700 which in my opinion is still cheap.. I've brought many customers to him and he still gave them great prices.. Painted an entire car for 1500 with pearl custom paint.. Its been 3 years and the paint is still flawless.

·
Registered
941 Posts
naphibuzz said:
yeah i kind of do..they do the job off the books for me as long as its cash..Normally that job at that shop would run you about 700 which in my opinion is still cheap.. I've brought many customers to him and he still gave them great prices.. Painted an entire car for 1500 with pearl custom paint.. Its been 3 years and the paint is still flawless.
damn, if only that body shop were near me!

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
damn just found some dull spots on my front bumper...Is there anyway clear coat in a can you could buy at the local stor that may fix this up/// id bring it back to the shop but im leaving for school soon dont have the time to leave my car there

1 - 18 of 18 Posts