Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
solution to pass emission w/ header & y-pipe in GTA?
I just installed the aftermarket header & y-pipe and forget that I need to have a emission test later...
Anyone know a shop can pay to do rather than deinstall it?
PLEase help

·
Bite my shiny metal ass
938 Posts
Just get it tested as a "hot rod", that is the loop hole, it should pass ok.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
The y-pipe deletes the cat?

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
don't you guys know of any "special" shops that will pass you? I know a few years ago, there were a few shops that would basically pass you for a fee, the transaction would usually go like:

Car Owner: I need to have my car e-tested and I need it to pass, here's my "failed" report
Shop: Sure, we can take care of it, $150, come back in two hours
Car Owner: Can I wait here
Shop: It would be better if you're not around while we test it

I knew a few buddies with mods who'd get their cars passed that way, and I did it when one of my cars was older/dying. The two places I knew of that used to do that aren't around anymore, but i'm sure there are still some left in the city.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
storm said:
don't you guys know of any "special" shops that will pass you? I know a few years ago, there were a few shops that would basically pass you for a fee, the transaction would usually go like:

Car Owner: I need to have my car e-tested and I need it to pass, here's my "failed" report
Shop: Sure, we can take care of it, $150, come back in two hours
Car Owner: Can I wait here
Shop: It would be better if you're not around while we test it

I knew a few buddies with mods who'd get their cars passed that way, and I did it when one of my cars was older/dying. The two places I knew of that used to do that aren't around anymore, but i'm sure there are still some left in the city.

Drive clean computers are directly linked into Gov't controlled sites. The computers are tamper proof units. Only way to do what you propose is to basically use someone elses car with your VIN number ? Penialties and fines to the service providers for tampering are very strict. They also have a task force that uses random inspections and mystery shoppers to test accredited facilities. Its very unlikely that there is "any" shops that will comply with illegal activities, as they can lose their liscense. Seems like alot to lose, after spending $100,000 on equipment.

But good luck finding one......

Digger08

·
Registered
89 Posts
Just swap back in the stock parts. Its easier than franticly trying to find a shop to pass you. Just get a buddy to help you out to swap the parts.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
digger08 said:
Drive clean computers are directly linked into Gov't controlled sites. The computers are tamper proof units. Only way to do what you propose is to basically use someone elses car with your VIN number ? Penialties and fines to the service providers for tampering are very strict. They also have a task force that uses random inspections and mystery shoppers to test accredited facilities. Its very unlikely that there is "any" shops that will comply with illegal activities, as they can lose their liscense. Seems like alot to lose, after spending $100,000 on equipment.

But good luck finding one......

Digger08
They do exist though, when I was in TO, I had lots of friend with mods. They'd know which shops could "hook them up". Usually you had to know people at the shop, or come with a friend that knew them. I'm not condoning the shop's activities, just saying that they do exist. They probably do just put someone else's car on there. As far as the cost of the equipment, if you lose your drive-clean testing license, i'm sure you could sell the equipment to another shop.

They get very little per drive-clean test, keep in mind you pay a low fee for a service that can take around 30min from the time they put your car on the dyno to the time that they take it off and give you all the paperwork. Most places either have to do VERY high volume to make it worth their while, otherwise recommend expensive repairs when you fail for a "minor" reason (car not up to operating temperature perhaps), their third option is to take money on the side to pass people with mods etc.

The system here in Dallas is foolproof and easier for both the driver/shop, but harder to get a "pass" if you have mods. Basically if your car is '97 or newer, they just jack in to the OBDII port, and read all the data from there (since it monitors emissions and should throw a CEL if something is screwed up). If you reset the battery the system knows, and they tell you to come back after driving 500-1000 miles or whatever. In any case, no dyno, no worrying about warm-up time, cheap testing equipment, and you're in/out in no-time.

·
Dual Citizen
2,449 Posts
My dads got a link.. lol
My car failed misserably and he went to this shop he knows and got it done and it said that my cars as clean as a whistle. According to the report it drives like its a friggin hybrid or sum shyt.
pm n ill get back to u

1 - 9 of 9 Posts