Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm guessing everyone is having this problem. I clean the car, take it out for 20 min. Come back and the car is clean except for the back end. Covered in dust and dirt.

I think dust just swirls around the rear of the car while driving and sticks to it.

Anyone do anything to change this?
Does the RMM lip change this at all?

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks but I wash my car about 5 times a week and it's 24 degrees out.

I don't want to dust the rear end because then the car has an uneven coat of dust on it.

Plus when you dust, you push dirt around on the paint to scratch it.
Anyone else please?

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
*shrug* I dunno what to tell ya. I've had my IS for a week and a half now and I know exactly what you're talking about. I've had the car washed twice at the dealership since I've had it. It's a mere 10 miles away from my apartment... completely spotless when I park it in the garage except the rear end. It's as though they didn't even wash it... I can't quite comprehend how the design of the car itself is "forcing" dirt, road grime, and dust to the back end... and it isn't even necessarily that, it just seems to "stick" there, as well.

I don't think there's anything that can be done per se... except to continuing washing it over and over again. Not a great answer, I know... but not sure what else could be done to alleviate this. Do you have snow on the road where you are by chance?? I'm thinking it might get a bit better once summer rolls around... or do you folks on the west coast have the same problem?

Scott.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Are you talking about the dirt and dust thats sits on top of the rear bumper? Just under the license plate? I notice that the are gets kinda rough. I have to apply wax heavy right there. The rain, dew and dirt run off the car and sits right there...

·
Registered
11,902 Posts
Dust that bad boy. I dust at least once a day min...it gives me some private time with my SBM.

One thing I noticed is that any dirt or residue on the car really shows up if there is a frost. A couple of times coming out of a bar late at night I'd see awful looking patches of frost on the roof. PS - I wasn't loaded.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I had my car for one day before I noticed the dust on the bumper cap. I had they same problem with an old Mustang Cobra. The worst thing is if I let it sit for any lenth of time, I would get these little brown spots that were a pain the A$$ to remove. Other that washing it at least once a week, I will probably dry the idea of a California Duster that was mentioned in the other post.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I bought the california duster and I would highly recommend you do NOT get it. It creates heavy swirl marks, scratches the dust into the paint and barely is even good at removing dust in the first place.. makes the car look 50 times worse than it did before dusting...worst $20+ i ever spent =(

------------------
-IStheBest-

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Totally scrap the California Dust thingy... why would you want a run a rag across a dry, dirty car?? That's bad, bad news.

Scott.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have the exact same problem. Huge amounts of dirt and road salt on the rear end. I only started getting the heavy accumulation this winter when the roads are salted. I try to stop by a self-serve car wash often and just give my car a quick spray of warm water to clean the car up. If you have a good layer of wax on the car, the dirt just comes right off.

During the summer months, my car is spotless.

On a side note on the california duster. it is designed to remove "dust" not dirt. I have a Cali duster, and I use it daily to remove the dust. works great, no swirls or wax deposits(you need to prep the duster when you first get it). I don't even dare use that duster during the winter months or when then car is even remotely dirty.

It is for dust not dirt.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I also recommend the cali dash duster....
completely removes EVERY spec of dust off the dash. no more spray and wipe, and since the dash is plastic, there are no concerns of scratches.

just from my experiences.

oh.. don't get generic brands like the magic duster, etc... they use oil not wax as the method to pick up the dust.

[This message has been edited by paulwu (edited January 04, 2001).]

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just to let you know this isn't just an IS300 problem. I too get dust that settles on the rear bumper and back of the trunk on my CL-S.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
San Marino Red / Parchment
non-nav - wheel locks - splash guards

·
Am I Hype-R???
13,648 Posts
the california duster is a brand name...i actually use this on my "black" supra and it does work great. the thing is...you have to lightly brush it over the surface of the car. you barely even touch it...the dust sticks to the fibers without scratching. it's so good, i've even seen adam saruwatari using it on his pride and joys... (his rx-7 and nsx)

as for avoiding the dust that accumalates in the back...try driving backwards...that should keep that area pretty clean...

------------------
2001 IS300 Graphite Grey
94 Supra TT/6-speed/HardTop/black
90 Integra

[This message has been edited by HyperMKIV (edited January 04, 2001).]

·
Registered
697 Posts
Originally posted by HyperMKIV:
the california duster is a brand name...i actually use this on my "black" supra and it does work great. the thing is...you have to lightly brush it over the surface of the car. you barely even touch it...the dust sticks to the fibers without scratching. it's so good, i've even seen adam saruwatari using it on his pride and joys... (his rx-7 and nsx)

as for avoiding the dust that accumalates in the back...try driving backwards...that should keep that area pretty clean...

Then won't the engine will be worse??

·
Am I Hype-R???
13,648 Posts
hey, they just wanted a solution for the dirt ont he rear bumper...so i gave them a good solution...

·
Registered
62 Posts
This is a simple solution, coming from someome who used to detail cars...me:)

Keep a nice clean terry cloth towel in the trunk, maybe two. Go and buy a good quality spray detailer, Meguiars Quick Detailer, One Grand, Mothers etc. Use it as often as you like on the rear bumper!! Especially after it is clean. Once you clean the car, you can use this stuff every day to get off small road particles (as long as it is not heavy dirt). I even use it to take the brake dust off the wheels in the 'mid' week cycle.

Good luck.

P.S. DON'T use the california Duster. It just pushes dust and dirt, and then it collects in the material. Also, try using a REAL sea sponge when washing the car, dirt and other particles get pushed INTO the sponge, and upon rinsing the sponge actually cleans itself, it is a natural thing. Mother Nature is great. Oh..yes make sure the sea sponge is a dead one:)

later.
Chris

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Yeah, I keep several all cotton terry cloth towels in the truck in a little bin. I also keep Meguiars spray detailer. It works on bugs, bird poop and minor dirt.

I use it on the bumper almost daily.

I'm trying to get the wife to use the detailer when she leaves the office, but haven't got her to do it yet. She thinks I'm nuts for obsessing over the car so much.

01 IJM w/5Zigen exhaust (soon to have springs/shocks and 5Zigen wheels).

·
Registered
11,902 Posts
Don't kill sea sponges to keep your car clean...man that is cruel. If you were a SCUBA diver you'd appreciate sea life a little more.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts