Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the paint job on the IS soft or what? I've had mine going on 6 weeks now and I've got at 6 or 7 very small but very annoying rock chips/scratches down to the metal! I drive mostly on the freeways between LA and San Diego. At this rate my paint job is going to look like crap in a couple of years.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I hear you, I've got several myself to the metal. I find myself franticly passing all trucks ahead of me. I drive in LA too. Makes me sick to wash the car and see all these chips showing up.

I know alot of it has to do with the slope of the hood and the large painted front bumper leaving such a large forward facing surface area, but I think the paint does chip too easily.

Considering a 3M Clear Bra, but I've heard they don't look so good on white cars.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Where do you get your paint chips ? The only one I've had was on the hood. Does the bumper get chipped pretty easily ?

--k

·
Registered
155 Posts
YEP! I'm telling you there's a problem with the paint. I've driven cars for years before they have the number of chips in them my IS has. My dealer wants me to bring it in... just looking for the time. If anyone hears anything let us know. It's a major disappointment to me, the car is 2 months old and looks like it's 24 mos old. And Solar Yellow just makes the chip standout even more!!

------------------
2001 Lexus IS300
Solar Yellow Exterior
Black Leather/Escaine
LD/LS/HH/SR/AW
wheel locks, trunk mat

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi,

I'm totally bummed as well. My Blue, 8-day old IS300 has dozens of small scratches on the side doors and above trunk. Never hit anything, never drove reverse... We're talking 7-8 days here!!! Paint is definitely too soft. And the white underneath...

What is your dealer proposing to do for you?

My dealer has been very slow to deal with DOA CD unit (dead on arrival = swallowed 3 disks and died after 1 day!!).

I wonder if CD death + soft soft paint = lemon car. I don't want them to start patching it up on me.

Ari
Boston

·
Registered
626 Posts
Ari what you describe does not sound like rock chips. I too have had my IS Silver about 8 days. Not a thing wrong. No dings, dents etc... Knock on wood.

Could it be the way you are washing it? Do you wash the car yourself. What products. Are the scratches fine or deep etc.. ?

I sure hope I do not run into this problem. I have put about 350 miles on mine, both city and highway so far.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The scratches are very fine, reach the white underlying layer, but strangely do not "seem" to be hurting the ouside coating. I even had Symoniz System5 protectant put on by my delar those 8 days ago...

I have only washed it twice and only hosing with water and a clean cotton cloth one time and special soft sponge the next... It definitely doesn't look like washi8ng scratches, but either some cracking from the inside (heat? softness?) or any impact from the outside causes paint to scratch inside... Strange and frightening!

What can dealer do?

Is this a lemon?

Should I simply talk to my sales consultant (who is being very slow on the dead CD and some wood kit defects), go straight to the dealership owner or just call Lexus directly?

·
Registered
626 Posts
I would talk directly to the GM of the dealer. Give them the opportunity to correct the problems.

On the washing. I have always been told never to wash my car with just water. The soap is an agent to help remove the dirt the water does not. If you do not then you are just wipeing the dirt into the paint with your cotton cloth. I may be wrong, but I always use a good soap when washing.

You can always take the car to a good reputable detail outfit and have them check out the scratches.

On the CD player, I have not had any problems with mine. I would hound the dealer hard on this. If you have to, I would go down there and wait in the showroom until you got satisfaction.

Good luck and let me now who it turns out.

·
Registered
424 Posts
It's near a month's ownership and I only get one stone chip on the bumper which is not hit to the metal. However, I should admit that I try very hard to avoid any stone chips on the freeway. I drive a little bit slowly and find it helpful.

However, in terms of the paint defects, I should say that there are paint dusts here and there. The one which is quite bad is on the lower body of a side door. There is some inside the doors. I would say it's marginally worse than my previous ES300.

For the CD thing, mine had the same problem - the CDs got stuck and could not be ejected nor played. The dealer had it replaced but again they made some scratches on the top storage bin (the storage bin has to be taken out in order to take out the CD unit. )

I have filed a complaint to Lexus as well as the dealer's service manager for the fact that the service advisor had a very poor attitude towards the scratch thing and he even encouraged taking business to somewhere else.

So far Lexus Canada has been handling the case quite professsionally.

Andy

·
Registered
511 Posts
Hey guys you are not alone!!! I too havea Blue IS and Have noticed two or three chips down to the urethane on the bumper and down to the white on the hood? Whats the deal? I decided to put on Mother's polish Phase1 thru Phase4. It at leasts puts a few coats of wax between air borne rocks and the paint. That mothers system is great! dry rags just slide off the hood now. I hope it sloes the chipping process. I will keep waxing every two weeks or so. and let you know...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hi all,

I got an Auburn red IS and I noticed the paint chip problem only a few weeks after I got my car. I drove my car back from San Jose to LA only once and it literally killed my hood. I got tons of chip marks from very very small rocks. THERE IS A PAINT PROBLEM. Just a warning to others out there that even you don't really hear a rock hitting against the paint, you WILL get chip marks on the car - just check out your hood once in a while. I called up the dealer locally here and all they said was give me some paint to patch it up. Anyone had any luck on getting a real solution?

Let me know 'cause I'm pissed off about the paint thing!

Thanks,

Simon

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow! I thought that topic line looked familiar. I posted it almost a year ago! Nice to see the resurrection. Unfortunately, it shows that the paint issues continue. Should've got the xpel kit, dammit.

·
11,061 Posts
I guess I'm lucky. (Knock on Wood)...only three chips in 8 months...and only one of them is on the hood...and it's tiny. The key is to avoid the freeway at all costs...at least when anyone else is on it. I use the valley freeway on Saturday morning for blowing out the carbon.
Nobody up in the morning.
I-5 is murder. I went out there to get to Seattle a Friday a.m. about four weeks ago and VOILA, chip number three, a nasty one right up beside the windshield.
Put the clear coat on right away so that there is something to buff the scratches out of. (I love kitties; but not the damnable felines sitting on my car and leaving scratches!)I'm gonna get the paint chips fixed and another dose of clear coat this Fall.

·
8,880 Posts
Yes, I knew something looked out of line when I started reading replies. Almost a year old topic, huh?

Well, the paint is too soft. My whole front end of the hood is a big paint chip. If I only knew about XPEL back then.

Oh, well. I got a full front end mask that fits tight, protects my car, and I can't see those paint chips.
Heh heh. And I am at 20K miles of heavy driving, passing trucks with stones flying left and right.

·
Registered
103 Posts
vlad_a: where did you get your XPEL mask done? Did you do it yourself? Anyone else? Just wondering.

Originally posted by vlad_a:
Yes, I knew something looked out of line when I started reading replies. Almost a year old topic, huh?

Well, the paint is too soft. My whole front end of the hood is a big paint chip. If I only knew about XPEL back then.

Oh, well. I got a full front end mask that fits tight, protects my car, and I can't see those paint chips.
Heh heh. And I am at 20K miles of heavy driving, passing trucks with stones flying left and right.

·
8,880 Posts
Originally posted by Killerfred:
vlad_a: where did you get your XPEL mask done? Did you do it yourself? Anyone else? Just wondering.
It was too late for XPEL for me when I found out about it - too many paint chips by that time.
I got Colgan Custom Front End mask instead.
It's black vinil car bra. I wanted to get it as soon as I got the car, but it only became available a couple months ago.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I did the entire xpel kit myself, and it wasn't too hard. It took a few hours. Just take it nice and easy and make sure all the bubbles are out before moving on. The video helps a lot. Most of the quotes I got were around $700-$800 for the kit and installation, and that's too much. Buying the entire kit from xpel is about $300 including shipping. One complaint: the kit could be a little bigger to cover more of the front bumper. There are other brands of this 3M Scotchcal stuff that have more coverage, but they probably cost more. Some people say xpel shouldn't be put on white cars because it's more noticeable than on darker colors. On my diamond white, you can easily find the seam if you're looking up close, but I'd rather have seams that a bunch of chips.

·
Useless
5,346 Posts
The paint sucks!!!! Xpel is not too bad to do. The hood is easy, the front piece for the bumper is a little tough, but with the help of a friend not to bad. Mirrors kind of suck getting all the creases out. Well worth it though as I'm not freaking every time I wash the car now.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I highly reccomend the 3M Clear Bra. It's the best $250 I've ever spent. I have the graphite grey though, so I don't know how it would look on white. Looks great on the grey though.

-matt

·
Registered
143 Posts
Originally posted by DenverIS300:
I highly reccomend the 3M Clear Bra. It's the best $250 I've ever spent. I have the graphite grey though, so I don't know how it would look on white. Looks great on the grey though.

-matt
Could you give me more InFo about 3M Clear Bra (website, phone#, ect). Also, please post pix of your car with 3M installed on it. I have DWP and was just wondering if it gonna look O.K.

[ July 10, 2001: Message edited by: TNguyenIS300 ]

1 - 20 of 26 Posts