Discussion Starter #1
From Car and Driver:

IS300
0-60 7.6
0-100 20.0

330i
0-60 6.1
0-100 16.6

I never want to hear again how the IS is really fast at higher speeds and the camry-like 0-60 time is due to the extra shift. I also don't want to hear any bs stories about racing a 330. There is a THREE AND A HALF SECOND difference from 0-100. You won't even be able to see the 330 after 100 mph. And don't tell me the new manual can make up 3+ seconds. And don't go the jealousy route either. Many of you seem to forget that any e46 owner could've bought an IS, but not necessarily the other way around. BTW, the 3 pulls more G's too..

·
Registered
81 Posts
Have you actually driven both IS300 and the 330i? or have you at least see the two car race each others head to head? If not, then please stop give me those BS okay?

I don't own a 330i, neither do I have a IS300. But my friends have the IS300, and 330i, and E36 M3... bababa...

I admit that even a automatic 330i is faster than the IS, and will kill the IS on the highway. But I think your numbers on the 330i is a stick, and that's why there's a huge 3 sec difference between 0-100.

The manual IS300 is not even out yet, so you can't say anything about it. Just like you shouldn't compare the stick 330i to the auto IS300.

I know a lot IS300 owners think their car is the $hit! Of course I don't really agree on that. However your attitude is even worse. So what if your car is more expensive? Most people can't notice the difference between the 320, 323, 325, and the 330. I could have got the Bimmer and I guess I would be pissed when I see 325 or 330 on the street. Besides there're just way too many BMWs up here. You don't feel that your car is special or different at least...

Anyways, I think the IS300 is really a good value. Might not look better than the BMW since is just a matter of TASTE! But I am just sick and tired of seeing way too many BMW on the street.

P.S. There are lots future E46 M3 owners saying that the M3 can beat Z06 and that kinda BS, too. Hope that you are not one of them.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Well, you forgot the factor of the driver. And Eye6, you seem to suck. So I think a race between the two cars (with you behind the 330i) will be alot closer than that. So don't be quoting times you can't achieve. You ain't nuttin but a hopeful.
Hey, it's not our fault you feel insecure and need to come to our is300.net forum to try to ruin our feelings for the IS. It ain't gonna work.

------------------
White IS300
"Bein Bad Ain't EZ"

[This message has been edited by Badman Forever (edited January 27, 2001).]

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree the IS is a good value. In fact I like the IS and sometimes after I get back from the BMW dealer pissed about how poor the service is, I comtemplate switching over to Lexus.. then I come to my senses.. don't really go to the dealer much anyway. I just get sick of IS owners saying how fast and furious their cars are even though actual performance numbers speak otherwise.

As for achieving good times with stick.. it's really not that hard... rev to 2.5 and drop the clutch... then shift when necessary.. not really too tricky
. Even if you were completely inept and lost a few carlengths, you'd still be up several car lengths at least. 3.4 seconds is A LOT of time..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh and yes the ZO6 will beat the M3, but the M3 is really a luxury coupe with a bad-ass engine. All the gadgets make the M3 roughly 700 lbs more than the vette. The M3 GT lightweight will challenge the ZO6 and still seat 4

·
Registered
81 Posts
Well, but the M3 is not that bad after all. In fact I think it's about 400lbs more than the Vette.

I understand your point, and your feeling, too. But I believe that those who think that their IS can beat a 330 have never actually raced against one before. They just feel that their car is FAST! So they think that they can smoke a 330i.

But seriously, the IS300 can't even beat my stock TL. I hope that I don't sound too offensive in my last post. If I did, sorry about that. But I still think that you shouldn't compare a stick 330i to the IS300.

Maybe a 325 with stick (more fun, similar price & performance) or 330i with Steptronic (similar engine output, more expensive, but faster & more of a car IMHO)

The bimmers are nice when they are loaded. Only if they don't have that many 323, 320, and 325 out there. Actually I considered the IS300, and 330 before I got my TL. I already know two ppl with IS300, and one just ordered the 330. So I want to be different. Glad that most girls like to ride in my car, because it's more comfortable, until I got flash and the race begin...

Never got smoked by the IS300, but the 330 really did kill me...

·
Registered
631 Posts
Okay.... think we can throttle back on the testosterone here?

The IS300 is a fast car, but of course there are faster. Despite being in the 3-series, the 330i is clearly meant to be a more powerful car, and comparing it to the IS300 is almost an apples-to-oranges situation, especially once you take into account price. A loaded 330i is going to be $6K-$8K more than a similarly equipped IS300.

If you want to compare the 330i to another vehicle, I would suggest the Audi S4, perhaps the Saab 9-3 Viggen.

Wanna compare the 330i vs. a Porsche Boxster S?

·
Registered
341 Posts
I don't think you'll find EyE6 a willing participant in comparing the 330i to an S4, as his penis size might again be threatend.

Yo EyE6, not all of us go prancing around boasting of 0-60 times, just like not all BMW owners have a stick up their azz.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I don't speak on behalf of anyone else but I didn't buy my IS300 to become the next speed demon of Minneapolis. I don't where losers get off saying "every IS300 owner thinks his car is fast..." That's hardly true. If I wanted to go around revving the **** out of engine and acting like an imbecile, I would have bought a used Civic for $10,000 and spent $20,000 in parts so I could kick the sh*t out of everyone else and run 8-second quarter miles... blah blah blah blah....

I opted not to go that route. I bought the IS300 for it's styling, comfort, reliability, and Lexus' *excellent* dealer service which is *WAY* more than I can say for the shi*ty service that BMW offers its customers. And yes, I have proof.

Is my IS300 the fastest car in Minneapolis? Hardly. It's not even close. But am I comfortable? Yes. Is it stylish? Yes. Do I love it?? ...you bet!!

Scott.

------------------
...yet another proud owner of a fully loaded Graphite Gray Pearl '01 IS300

·
Registered
209 Posts
Yes, i do agree that the IS is not nearly as fast as a 330 STICK. But oce the manual does come out the 0-60 for the IS will be around the 6.5 sec range. In my book, that makes the car fast. And since the price will still be in the 30-35G range, it a much better deal than the 330. BMW owners will be paying 5-8 grand more just for a 0-60 difference of just .4 sec? It doesnt make sense. Of course, if money is not an option, then I can see why people choose the 330. But for most buyers, money is an option, which is why I think the IS will be an extremely good competitor to the 330, especially with the manual coming out in a few months.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Obviously you people don't get the point. You were the ones comparing and I am straightening out misconceptions. For those of you who didn't say the IS is faster than a Camry then obviously this post isn't directed at you, but there were many of you who did. At least SL1200MK4 got it, but he isn't a warped IS owner either. You don't see the e46 board saying their cars can keep up with the S4. Many of us would have bought the S4 actually, the fact that it is ugly as sin and chicks don't dig audis held us back (not TT).

·
Registered
816 Posts
Frankly, I'm not so sure that an automatic 330i will *kill* an IS300. Street anecdotes are completely useless. And there are no 5th-wheel test figures for the automatic 330i from any reputable source.

Anybody with a loaded 330i automatic in the greater Los Angeles area willing to meet for some G-Tech runs? We can settle this question once and for all.

------------------
051/LP/SR/LD/HH

[This message has been edited by DtEW (edited January 27, 2001).]

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
Originally posted by SL1200MK4:

I know a lot IS300 owners think their car is the $hit!

I don't know anyone here that think their car is the $hit.
I've notice everyone in this forum realizes that the IS300 is not some fast performance car.
Only person in here, IMO, that has a bad @$$ IS300 is TurboIS', but I don't know how fast his runs are.

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
where you located at, if it is somewhere close to MD, i will be happy to race your bmw, once i get my 5speed IS, then we will see for sure whose car is faster.

Originally posted by EyE6:
From Car and Driver:

IS300
0-60 7.6
0-100 20.0

330i
0-60 6.1
0-100 16.6

I never want to hear again how the IS is really fast at higher speeds and the camry-like 0-60 time is due to the extra shift. I also don't want to hear any bs stories about racing a 330. There is a THREE AND A HALF SECOND difference from 0-100. You won't even be able to see the 330 after 100 mph. And don't tell me the new manual can make up 3+ seconds. And don't go the jealousy route either. Many of you seem to forget that any e46 owner could've bought an IS, but not necessarily the other way around. BTW, the 3 pulls more G's too..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Excerpt from new C/D:

"For conversation's sake, also note that the 330i fairly SLAUGHTERS the times of the new Mercedes-Benz C320 Sport, which has 10 fewer hoursepower but 15 more pound-feet of torque. Equipped with an automatic, the Mercedes ran to 60 mph in a CREAMPUFF 7.5 seconds and consumed the quarter in 15.8 seconds at 91 mph. To 100 mph, the BMW is 3.5 seconds faster. Yowza!"

You guys should be racing this car. Amazingly similar performance numbers. Too bad the 60 yr old woman driving it will be too afraid to look over.

Actually GTE, I live in Ellicott City. Will be happy to race you, but a manual isn't going to shave 3 and a half seconds off your time. That is an eternity. Maybe a second quicker at best.

[This message has been edited by EyE6 (edited January 27, 2001).]

·
Registered
509 Posts
umm.. i dont know if u actually have done some research on the site, but dont u think u r just another one of stupid f.u.c.k that just want to heat up another useless discussion about IS300 vs 330i.
not all IS300 owners are as rich, and for the equivalent package, engine power, and luxuary, i believe 330i is not even comparable. 330i with same equipment of IS would cost 15k more, which is not even worth considering. if i have a budget of 50k, then i certainly would get a M3 or something, but the fact is, i personally have a budget under 40k, and IS300 simply is the best car within the range! well, of course, unless if u prefer a base 330i over a IS300.
just my.02
Originally posted by EyE6:
From Car and Driver:

IS300
0-60 7.6
0-100 20.0

330i
0-60 6.1
0-100 16.6

------------------
01' Spectra Blue Mica

Fully loaded IS 300

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Yadda yadda yadda, CL-S vs. 330i vs. IS300 vs. S4 vs. C320 etc etc etc.

Haven't we been through this before? Oh well I guess the competition never ends...

------------------
Silver 2K1 3.2CL-S....ba-boom!

·
Registered
697 Posts
Originally posted by Iridium130:
Yadda yadda yadda, CL-S vs. 330i vs. IS300 vs. S4 vs. C320 etc etc etc.

Haven't we been through this before? Oh well I guess the competition never ends...

students,

what does competition lead to??

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
We IS300 owners are proud of our cars... too bad you aren't proud of yours. We have nothing to prove, and have no need to go around starting stupid up stuff. I suggest you go back to your own little corner... cuz you ain't welcome here. ::waves bye bye::

------------------
White IS300
"Bein Bad Ain't EZ"

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
in my opinion... enough already...
who really cares?? i don't care what people think about my IS... if they want to diss it...let 'em.. it they want to praise it.. cool.. but in the end.. i like my car..even starting to love it..(since i know my Tein HA's and SRT HFI are coming)... thats all that really matters..

also.. with cars that are close in hp... it really comes down to the driver.. i believe that in many cases its 80% driver, 20% car..

anyone else agree??

one last thing.. if we spent $6K-$8K on performance mods to our IS to even out the price difference with the 330..

PUHHHLEASE...it wouldn't even be comparable.

------------------
Graphite w/Graphite rims
16" Quantum Tech S-10's (winter rims)
Blue Hybrid Bulbs
PIAA 002 fogs
Tein HA Coilovers and SRT HFI/ECU ... on order

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
About this Discussion
39 Replies
27 Participants
Kel3
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing