Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yeah im intersted in who is gona do their oil change or brake flush soon, i want to see as many people do it as possible, b/c im sick of pulling out cash to pay someone to do something that takes 40 minutes. i dont want to be a type of person who pays for everything, and when you ask them how to do it they dont know jack. so i want to learn hands on, so maybe if you are doing yours soon, we can meet up and do it? i havent changed my oilf or 15K+ miles. i need to do it, but low on cash. oil change should take no more than an hour, just need a filter remover wrench, and need to go buy some oil. so whos up for it? i get the feeling im not the only one??

also, is there a way to know whether or not you did it right? lol

and what is the preferred oil filter? seems most ppl go OEM or TRD< but how is K&N? its like $9.

-Aaron

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
i get the feeling im not the only one??
your not...i want to learn also...i just sorta scammed my dealership from paying 60 for an oil change...so i may have wore out my welcome there...

anyone in norcal doing theirs soon?..i always wanted to know how to do this right so i can charge my friends to do theirs...

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
wow you havent changed your oil for 15k...thats not good...its not that hard to do..if you ever have changed oil on a car, its all the same but for the IS getting the filter out is the hard part...i would just use the lexus oil filter if you can get it for cheap you dont really need the k&n/trd oil filters..waste of money imo..otherwise the toyota oil filter would work, its only like 5 bucks or sumpin...you'll know you did it right when theres no leaks and oil flying everywhere

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
i changed my brake fluid (may have to do it again since im gettin brake lines), tranny fluid, rear end fluid, coolant, power steering fluid, and oil w/ filter at 30K (oil w/ filter ever 5K :p)

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
oil change is just about the easiest thing you can do to a car. I tought my gf how to do it, and she was like "thats it??"

·
Registered
8,219 Posts
havent changed your oil for 15k?? hmmm... you dont know how to do it nor do you got the money to pay at the least 25 bucks for jiffy lube to do it...

im sure if you fork some money over for someone to take time out of thier busy day to show you how to do an oilchange, people will come forward...

you should go online, read how to do it.. then do it yourself, takes no more than 10 minutes with drain and refill..

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
got it done! wow no oil change in 15K miles..

got me a TOYOTA camry v6 oil filter...new valvoline high mileage normal oil, and full 6 quarts...car actually feels and somehow sounds better... =D

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
um... 6 quarts is too much. Its 5.7 with oil filter change

Warm up your car, park on a level surface, turn off your car, wait 5 minutes, and then check your dip stick. Make sure its not over the full mark.

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well we put on 5.2 and like..on the dipstick, it didnt eve reach halfway. so we just dumped the rest in....and it still BARELY hit the full marker... =]

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
^^ Tisk tisk on the 15K!

Yeah it shouldn't be that much oil. Becuase its high milage oil the visc. is high (or low, don't know which one), its more like tar and takes its time to get down there (espicially w/ dino fluids and not being at operating temp), maybe you checked the dip stick too soon after pooring the oil in.

If you have too much oil in the oil pan, your crank will hit it and whip it up into a foam, bad news, like going over a oil change limmit.

Got a ? for the peeps, last time I changed my oil I was a dousch, forgot that it had been put on with the tool, that I didn't have on me after I had already drained the oil, and couldn't get the oil filter off, so left it in, how bad of a bubu is that?

B.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Its like taking a shower, and then putting your dirty underwear back on. Not as bad as not taking a shower at all, but not the best thing. And you're going to want to take another shower...er.. change your oil again sooner.

You can also change your filter, without changing the oil by the way. So if it hasn't been too long, you can just swap that out. After you do that, top off your engine with .3 quarts (how much oil fits in the oil filter). Better yet, put part of that .3 quarts into the new filter before you put it on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts