Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IMO i think a [powerful v-6 will be fine for 2005. Look at the g35 coupe, the car is amazing. The performance is impecable. It puts up great #'s on the street as well.

For the normal everyday driver i think a v-6 with about 260-270 hp is plenty.
The g coupe sounds sweet handles great, and is super quick and not to forget it is rwd.

I know many people will disagree with me and say, th I-6 is much easier to suup up but, in reality i know all i would do to the G coupe if i had one would be a CAI and maybe headers.

Again this is my opinion and please no flames. Many of my fellow buddies with turbo IS' agree with me.

Remember if u see me doing 135 mph on the Sprain baby stay away.

·
8,827 Posts
When V6 happens and it is time to upgrade, it is likely that I will opt for BMW's I6.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
NYREDLEX said:
IMO i think a [powerful v-6 will be fine for 2005. Look at the g35 coupe, the car is amazing. The performance is impecable. It puts up great #'s on the street as well.

For the normal everyday driver i think a v-6 with about 260-270 hp is plenty.
The g coupe sounds sweet handles great, and is super quick and not to forget it is rwd.

I know many people will disagree with me and say, th I-6 is much easier to suup up but, in reality i know all i would do to the G coupe if i had one would be a CAI and maybe headers.

Again this is my opinion and please no flames. Many of my fellow buddies with turbo IS' agree with me.

Remember if u see me doing 135 mph on the Sprain baby stay away.
60° V6 versus Inline-6

As space efficiency becomes more and more important, most car makers favour V6. The most influential V6 was perhaps Alfa Romeo’s 2.5-litre 60° V6 used in the GTV6. It established a reputation for V6 that it can be compact, powerful and smooth. An equivalent inline-6 would have never fit the small and sloping engine compartment of that car. Compare the shape of BMW with the Alfa and you’ll know the packaging advantage of V6s.

Straight-six engines are nearly impossible to be used in front-wheel drive cars as well. Even a car as wide as Volvo S80 has to introduce the world’s shortest gearbox in order to make space for the 2.9-litre straight-six mounted transversely in the engine compartment.

Longitudinal mounted inline-6 doesn’t have such problems, but it engages too much space in north-south direction, thus engage some space which would have contributed to cockpit room.

However, BMW is still loyal to inline-6 engines. Ultimately, inline-6 engine is more efficient yet smoother. V6 has more energy loss because it duplicates valve gears and camshafts (which increase frictional loss), while the use of 2 cylinder banks leads to more heat loss. In terms of production cost, although V6 has 3 fewer main bearings, it has more valve gears - which is getting more and more costly these days, with the introduction of twin-cam, hydraulic tappets / finger follower and variable valve timing. Inline-6 is going to be cheaper than equivalent V6.

·
Registered
15,540 Posts
take the G35 up to about 80 on the highway, drop it down into 4th gear and floor it... listen and feel.

Now do the same with the IS with the I6....

you'll both hear and feel the difference... the I6 was born for that shit... whereas the V6 will be moaning and groaning and vibrating

·
Premium Member
16,536 Posts
Inline-6 and V-12 engines are the best-balanced, smoothest engine configurations in existence.

A V-6 in the next IS could have one saving grace, however: Because it's much shorter than a V-6, it could be placed further back in the chassis, allowing for a "front-mid-engine" configuration, which, in turn, would provide better handling and a 50/50 F/R weight distribution.

·
Registered
15,540 Posts
jruhi4 said:
Inline-6 and V-12 engines are the best-balanced, smoothest engine configurations in existence.

A V-6 in the next IS could have one saving grace, however: Because it's much shorter than a V-6, it could be placed further back in the chassis, allowing for a "front-mid-engine" configuration, which, in turn, would provide better handling and a 50/50 F/R weight distribution.
incorrect... while the V6 is shorter, it is much wider. It interferes with master brake cylinder, steering columns, etc, etc. The I6, is narrower, and can be pushed farther back towards the driver, and still leave room on the sides for the "accessory" items.

Granted, V6 cars have been made with very good weight distribution (a la G35), but they are the minority. Almost all inline 6 cars have very good weight distribution.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
IM NOT SPEAKING ABOUT THE INTERIOR DUDE, just performance. By the way my friend has a G coupe and when he droips it into 4th on the highway that thing pulls hard. It will rip our cars apart.

So i guess none of you guys like the 350z either.(because if u drop into 4th it vibrates) get real!

Anyway i love my IS, but i really wouldnt be very upset if we got a similar engine as the g coupe.

·
8,827 Posts
If V6 does happen, how will Lexus compete in Europe against its German rivals?

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
NYREDLEX said:
IM NOT SPEAKING ABOUT THE INTERIOR DUDE, just performance. By the way my friend has a G coupe and when he droips it into 4th on the highway that thing pulls hard. It will rip our cars apart.

So i guess none of you guys like the 350z either.(because if u drop into 4th it vibrates) get real!

Anyway i love my IS, but i really wouldnt be very upset if we got a similar engine as the g coupe.
You seem to be stuck on the HP issue.
As in they have a V6 and have more power than our I6 - but I think you are missing the point.

Each engine has it's strong points, and it's weak points. The I6 works really well for the IS, Supra, etc.

·
Premium Member
16,536 Posts
vlad_a said:
If V6 does happen, how will Lexus compete in Europe against its German rivals?
Audi,Mercedes & Jaguar have already gone to V6s. BMW & Volvo are the only remaining European I-6 makers.

·
8,827 Posts
^^^^
BMW was implied. :wink:
They stay true to their I6 engine. No way in hell will they change it in the 3 series. :chill:

LEXUS, Take notes! :bitching:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I agree with you crb, the 3.3 v-6 are putting up horrible #'s. I think Toyota has something up there sleeves. They can def put bigger #'s on the v-6's.

If not lets have a turbo I-6. I wouldnt mind hahaha

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
HoustonLex said:
take the G35 up to about 80 on the highway, drop it down into 4th gear and floor it... listen and feel.

Now do the same with the IS with the I6....

you'll both hear and feel the difference... the I6 was born for that sh*t... whereas the V6 will be moaning and groaning and vibrating
Thats a good observation. I noticed this as well when i testdrove the car.

The car moved pretty well from 0-70ish, but it was not too happy afterward.

It doesnt handle that great either.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.