Lexus IS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
truth versions only
4,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
my main concern with all of this, is that there are so many variables. how are we to know wetyher the mazzuri is better for people with cams, or maybe its the megan, but if you hav cams and port and polish, its the team lexus, or if you have an after market exhaust, you shouldn't use the obx. theres so many different setups, so its very easy to blow 450 on a mazzuri setup when you could go get a megan setup for 200 and make more power, there is no way to know for each person...
That is the whole point behind this thread, educate and learn is what I am trying to do. And _TOM_ thanks for bringing up the OBX issue, I also wonder if outside of the tune, the 80mm TB Yogi has helps cos I know my car breaths so much better uptop due to the bigger TB.

Now what I can say with certainty is the Mazzuri is going to be the best for running stock camshafts. When you change the cams, now you are actually doing NA mods and not simply bolt-ons, you change VE. At this point I am not completely certain as to whether the Mazzuri or the Megan will be better. I am hoping to unravel that after I get someone to measure the diameter of the Megans and send post in this thread.

For the Team Lexus header, I will forget all about it for now. Why cos it is NOT a brand name header. It is simply used parts from the old Team Lexus racecar that they got rid off. It was never mass produced and I can think of only 3 in existence today (now the Das' old one has been found)

·
Registered
328 Posts
If that one is making as much power as is displayed in his dyno sheet why wouldn't you want to replicate that one? Atleast get the dimension for comparison.

·
truth versions only
4,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
My point is unless you can find one of the three made you are out of luck. However if it is mass produced, then we have something.

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
i understand, we need to make a chart like for the boosted mods. it needs to seperate your mod list into stages... like stage 1-intake, exhaust. you need mazzuri headers... stage 2- intake, 80mm throttle body, exhaust, you need megan or mazzuri headers, stage 3- i dont know how much to include for stage 3. am i making sense?

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
My point is unless you can find one of the three made you are out of luck. However if it is mass produced, then we have something.

i agree that they are not valid for this discussion. however i must say that there is talk of mass production, and if those dimensions were made public, everyone could make one or have one made and then it would be useful.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
That is the whole point behind this thread, educate and learn is what I am trying to do. And _TOM_ thanks for bringing up the OBX issue, I also wonder if outside of the tune, the 80mm TB Yogi has helps cos I know my car breaths so much better uptop due to the bigger TB.

Now what I can say with certainty is the Mazzuri is going to be the best for running stock camshafts. When you change the cams, now you are actually doing NA mods and not simply bolt-ons, you change VE. At this point I am not completely certain as to whether the Mazzuri or the Megan will be better. I am hoping to unravel that after I get someone to measure the diameter of the Megans and send post in this thread.

For the Team Lexus header, I will forget all about it for now. Why cos it is NOT a brand name header. It is simply used parts from the old Team Lexus racecar that they got rid off. It was never mass produced and I can think of only 3 in existence today (now the Das' old one has been found)
I think that unless the setup(variables) can be replicated by another I think it should be ignored.

Obviously there is absolutely no way to control all circumstances. Where the dyno way taken(altitude, temp, engine heatsoak, dyno differences, etc.) will always vary, but you can at least attempt to find a repeatable, fairly consistent recommended setup.

Your efforts will more than likely serve as an example for those pursuing power through mods, not those whom already have expended considerable money and effort for their numbers. I dont see many folks who already have setups ripping all their stuff off and selling to replace with new parts for another 10rwhp.

Just my opinion...:)

·
truth versions only
4,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
^^That's the idea, when people put together their combos they can pick wisely.
But dont you think it will be easy to get rid of the mazzuri for example and get a much cheaper Megan header if that's what gives the extra power?
I may find something or nothing at all so it won't be ripping all this stuff off cars, more like match your header to your combo. So let's see, this is a simple enough experiment.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
we need someone to fab up some team lexus replicas. i'd be on that in a second. i think that the one thing keeping me from hitting 230 are my headers. either mazzuris or team lexus would do that for me for sure.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
we need someone to fab up some team lexus replicas
Why not design some headers for the BC Cams and have someone fab them up instead of trying to replicate the TL header? The TL dyno graph really doesn't impress me that much compared to any other well designed header.

Everyone that didn't buy this back when the Mazzuri header was being developed might want to now:

Amazon.com: Scientific Design of Exhaust & Intake Systems (Engineering and Performance): Philip H. Smith, John C. Morrison: Your Store

·
truth versions only
4,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Why not design some headers for the BC Cams and have someone fab them up instead of trying to replicate the TL header? The TL dyno graph really doesn't impress me that much compared to any other well designed header.

Everyone that didn't buy this back when the Mazzuri header was being developed might want to now:

Amazon.com: Scientific Design of Exhaust & Intake Systems (Engineering and Performance): Philip H. Smith, John C. Morrison: Your Store
Frankly unless youwanna give up any low end gains you can make with a header, the TL has the most impressive dyno graph compared to any other header out there for the IS. It holds its own against the Mazzuri in the low end, though I think the Mazzuri has it beat by a tiny margin, but it continues up top and makes the most peak power with the least drop in curve

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
thats the truth^ and not only that, but those headers were designed with other significant mods in place like cams, valves, pistons, de-stroke, ect. ect. this means that for those of us looking to make the most na power possible, these headers are perfect..

·
truth versions only
4,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
thats the truth^ and not only that, but those headers were designed with other significant mods in place like cams, valves, pistons, de-stroke, ect. ect. this means that for those of us looking to make the most na power possible, these headers are perfect..
Wrong, wrong, wrong and wrong. These headers are designed with the STOCK cams, stock valves, stock pistons, stock displacement (stock stroke and bore)
The TL cars had rules to follow, you cannot modify the long block in their class!

Also if destroke was the way to make more power, then we should all yank out our 2JZ and get a Toyota Camry 4cyl to make the most power, afterall we can get a 2.2L cheap and spin it to 20K rpm and make 500rwhp
And while we are destroking, everyone else will be INCREASING their displacement with 3.4L and actually making power (not that that is needed either).
We havent even found what the 3.0l is capable off, why do people want to mess with parts that make NO difference HP output wise?

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Wrong, wrong, wrong and wrong. These headers are designed with the STOCK cams, stock valves, stock pistons, stock displacement (stock stroke and bore)
The TL cars had rules to follow, you cannot modify the long block in their class!

Also if destroke was the way to make more power, then we should all yank out our 2JZ and get a Toyota Camry 4cyl to make the most power, afterall we can get a 2.2L cheap and spin it to 20K rpm and make 500rwhp
i thought the team lexus cars are the ones everyone is always talking about being destroked? and for that reason i said new pistons and valves and cams. if they are not the cars i keep hearing about, which ones are?

·
Registered
5,179 Posts

And while we are destroking, everyone else will be INCREASING their displacement with 3.4L and actually making power (not that that is needed either).
We havent even found what the 3.0l is capable off, why do people want to mess with parts that make NO difference HP output wise?
destroke is not the way to make more power, i know that.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
You should go back a few posts and read some of the earlier comments by kponti and myself. We discussed a good bit of this in the thread already.

I dont know which car you are thinking about that has been de-stroked.

·
truth versions only
4,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
i thought the team lexus cars are the ones everyone is always talking about being destroked? and for that reason i said new pistons and valves and cams. if they are not the cars i keep hearing about, which ones are?
Naa that's another car in a different race, the owner is a member on this site actually. Not the team lexus car though

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
well i'm sorry for muddying up this thread, i had the right info on the wrong car. lol. carry on!!!

·
Registered
5,179 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Here's a header done for a VQ by the tuner of the autoanalyser.
Very interesting.
SG-Motorsport | Development

Maybe to further improve the mazzuri(like is300cb talk earlier), step primary could be a good Idea. But we are often talking about non commercial header type. And it need a lot of pipe diameter and size and curves. Mazzuri being a mandrel manifacturer was in the right spot to make that.

21 - 40 of 78 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
About this Discussion
77 Replies
30 Participants
Bezik777
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing