Lexus IS Forum banner

81 - 100 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
11,025 Posts
me? I'm considering it as my next car..... along with the M3 & RS4/RS5/S5
As a matter of fact, if it's $60K, then show me where to sign....
Eric...
hmmm... I guess I misunderstood you (my apologies). I have read before that you think the body styling makes you want to turn away.

but I am also considering it... just not sold yet.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
What one of the BMW guys had to say:

This is complete bullshit. I'm not the most knowledgeable person on engine technology, but I know that the new engines from Toyota are far from "stone age". Using the same logic as in the post above, one would say that the LS460's 4.6L V8 is a much better engine than Mercedes' 5.5L V8, because it produces the same horsepower from 900 fewer CCs.

No one's ever highlighted that the 3.5L V6 found in the IS/GS350 is one of the most potent and efficient N/A engines in production. How could their newest 5.0L V8 be less technologically advanced, or less competent? Frankly, I believe they can tune the 5.0L V8 all the way up to 500 hp, if they wanted to, but there are other factors to consider, which will eventually determine the output. From the couple of videos that I've seen of the IS-F (cooking the rear wheels), the engine seems on par with its competitors. What remains to be seen is how well the car will handle, when compared to the others.

·
Registered
11,025 Posts
This is complete bullshit. I'm not the most knowledgeable person on engine technology, but I know that the new engines from Toyota are far from "stone age". Using the same logic as in the post above, one would say that the LS460's 4.6L V8 is a much better engine than Mercedes' 5.5L V8, because it produces the same horsepower from 900 fewer CCs.

No one's ever highlighted that the 3.5L V6 found in the IS/GS350 is one of the most potent and efficient N/A engines in production. How could their newest 5.0L V8 be less technologically advanced, or less competent? Frankly, I believe they can tune the 5.0L V8 all the way up to 500 hp, if they wanted to, but there are other factors to consider, which will eventually determine the output. From the couple of videos that I've seen of the IS-F (cooking the rear wheels), the engine seems on par with its competitors. What remains to be seen is how well the car will handle, when compared to the others.

You make some valid points. Lexus engines are absolutely on par with that of Mercedes, BMW, Audi, etc etc.

The point is are they on par with AMG, RS, and M? The engine they have used is a 5L lexus engine that has been tweeked to "F" standards. Nobody knows what F is all about, nobody knows how serious Lexus is about it. I am a lexus fan, everyone knows that... but I am stiill not convinced on the ISF yet.

and if Lexus could of gotten 500hp out of the engine, they should of... F is nothing right now, Lexus should do whatever it takes to get themselves into the game.

·
Registered
11,025 Posts
I think anyone considering a 400 plus horsepower sedan would be selling themselves short if they didn't at least give the IS-F a drive, before making up their mind!
Absolutely.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
and if Lexus could of gotten 500hp out of the engine, they should of... F is nothing right now, Lexus should do whatever it takes to get themselves into the game.
Even if Lexus didn't squeeze everything out of the ISF, it'd be nice to know if there is actually still potential to beef it up a good deal more. I know the C63 has plenty of room to expand...it might be nice if the ISF could do the same.

·
Registered
11,025 Posts
For you guys who don't venture out of the Garage here is a great video of the ISF. It looks and sounds like a real beast.

YouTube - Lexus ISF Shows Off - Part 1

... and oh yea... GBB found this video and posted it in the ISF forum. I just wanted to bring it here.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
For you guys who don't venture out of the Garage here is a great video of what the ISF. It looks and sounds like a real beast.

YouTube - Lexus ISF Shows Off - Part 1

... and oh yea... GBB found this video and posted it in the ISF forum. I just wanted to bring it here.
That's a good start...if it sounds like a beast and seems to perform like one, then it probably is! They were revving it on and off at the Taste of Lexus event, and it sure as hell didn't sound anything like a typical Lexus engine. At least they're headed in the right direction. It may take them a generation or two to get there, but it's good to know they've decided to pursue the "F" line.

·
Deus Vult
7,023 Posts
I'd be fully sold on the IS-F if it didn't have the 41 speed automatic gearbox with flippy paddles. Anything marketed as a sports sedan should be offered with the autobox as an option. This applies to MB as well.

Speaking of MB, T-Man, any info on that black Benz you posted?

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I'd be fully sold on the IS-F if it didn't have the 41 speed automatic gearbox with flippy paddles. Anything marketed as a sports sedan should be offered with the autobox as an option. This applies to MB as well.
I've never heard this argument...what an idea!

·
Registered
11,025 Posts

Speaking of MB, T-Man, any info on that black Benz you posted?
So, then you would never purchase an AMG?

·
Deus Vult
7,023 Posts
So, then you would never purchase an AMG?
While I like the AMGs for what they can do, they're typically not first on the list when discussing sport sedans. The Audi S/RS cars like the S4 and RS4 are a different story.

·
Registered
11,025 Posts
While I like the AMGs for what they can do, they're typically not first on the list when discussing sport sedans. The Audi S/RS cars like the S4 and RS4 are a different story.
As long as you keep your story straight then I respect that.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Tested: 2008 Lexus IS F - Short Take Road Tests - Car and Driver October 2007

not sure if this is a repost, but damn...the IS-F is sweet.

Car and Driver tested the IS-F:
ESTIMATED PRICE AS TESTED: $60,000 (estimated base price: $59,000)

ENGINE TYPE: DOHC 32-valve V-8, aluminum block and heads, direct fuel injection
Displacement: 303 cu in, 4969cc
Power (SAE net): 416 bhp @ 6600 rpm
Torque (SAE net): 371 lb-ft @ 5200 rpm

TRANSMISSION: 8-speed automatic with manumatic shifting

DIMENSIONS:
Wheelbase: 107.5 in Length: 183.5 in Width: 71.5 in Height: 55.7 in
Curb weight: 3800 lb

C/D TEST RESULTS:
Zero to 60 mph: 4.2 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 9.8 sec
Zero to 150 mph: 24.7 sec
Street start, 5–60 mph: 4.6 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 12.7 sec @ 114 mph
Top speed (governor limited): 172 mph
Braking, 70–0 mph: 159 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.92 g

FUEL ECONOMY:
EPA city/highway driving: 16/23 mpg
C/D-observed: 16 mpg

·
Registered
12,082 Posts
Tested: 2008 Lexus IS F - Short Take Road Tests - Car and Driver October 2007

not sure if this is a repost, but damn...the IS-F is sweet.

Car and Driver tested the IS-F:
ESTIMATED PRICE AS TESTED: $60,000 (estimated base price: $59,000)

ENGINE TYPE: DOHC 32-valve V-8, aluminum block and heads, direct fuel injection
Displacement: 303 cu in, 4969cc
Power (SAE net): 416 bhp @ 6600 rpm
Torque (SAE net): 371 lb-ft @ 5200 rpm

TRANSMISSION: 8-speed automatic with manumatic shifting

DIMENSIONS:
Wheelbase: 107.5 in Length: 183.5 in Width: 71.5 in Height: 55.7 in
Curb weight: 3800 lb

C/D TEST RESULTS:
Zero to 60 mph: 4.2 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 9.8 sec
Zero to 150 mph: 24.7 sec
Street start, 5–60 mph: 4.6 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 12.7 sec @ 114 mph
Top speed (governor limited): 172 mph
Braking, 70–0 mph: 159 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.92 g

FUEL ECONOMY:
EPA city/highway driving: 16/23 mpg
C/D-observed: 16 mpg
wow :jawDrop:

·
Registered
3,889 Posts

I agree.
This engine is most certainly on par with its competition.
The BMW fanboy forgot to tell you that Lexus wanted the car to both avoid a gas guzzler tax, and be a low emissions vehicle.
Hitting 500hp probably wouldn't have been that hard, if you throw those other goals out the window.

·
Registered
12,082 Posts
I agree.
This engine is most certainly on par with its competition.
The BMW fanboy forgot to tell you that Lexus wanted the car to both avoid a gas guzzler tax, and be a low emissions vehicle.
Hitting 500hp probably wouldn't have been that hard, if you throw those other goals out the window.
23 highway is an awesome number considering the power output. The vette gets some crazy good gas mileage, but only because 6th gear puts the car at 1500RPM doing 70mph.

81 - 100 of 109 Posts