Lexus IS Forum banner

61 - 80 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
People shopping in the $50-70K range for "smallish" sports sedans are usually people spending more than they can afford... A loaded up C63 AMG will be in the $75K range and if the IS-F is in the low $60K range, I think it has a chance at grabbing a good share of the market....
Eric....
You're right with the price point but in terms of performance there is no comparison. I mean if you are shopping in that price range with a S4 not be more attractive anyways? It does also come down to it, the current IS series is successful but still not as BMW, Audi, and Mercedes. Even with that price people don't normally equate lexus with performance, so you have a point these cars are going for a different market the ISF will be successful. Which market I don't know....

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
You're right with the price point but in terms of performance there is no comparison. I mean if you are shopping in that price range with a S4 not be more attractive anyways? It does also come down to it, the current IS series is successful but still not as BMW, Audi, and Mercedes. Even with that price people don't normally equate lexus with performance, so you have a point these cars are going for a different market the ISF will be successful. Which market I don't know....

That's what I mean.... In order for the IS-F to be successful, it needs to be in a lower price bracket than the cars it's to compete with... Lower price bracket, meaning $10K+ lower... $60K is where it should be
Eric....

·
Registered
436 Posts
LexIShirm300 Quote:
Originally Posted by EricG
I finally got the chance to get behind the wheel of Michael's IS350 this weekend. It was a tight and quick feel, very fun. Even though it supposedly is 100hp short of the IS-F, I have a hard time believing that the IS-F will "feel" a lot faster until you hit speeds in excess of 80mph...which we all know is illegal. For $15k, and styling that I am not crazy about(running boards and quad exhaust tips), I will really have to be blown away by the car's feel before I'm convinced it's worth the difference...which I will hopefully get to try out in November when the taste of Lexus comes to town.

Eric

Under the same token of widsom you have shelled upon us there would be no reason to get an M3 over the 335i. Hell, the M3 has less torque.
Upon re-reading, Shirm you may be right. If you got the dough - give it a go! Hopefully Lexus will let some test-mules to the magazines soon so we can see what that V8 is capable of. Seems like the preliminary numbers Lexus is letting out are a little conservative

Eric

·
Registered
7,697 Posts
little of topic, but who the hell came up with this interior design?

Looks like BMW hired some ricer to do this, I mean nothing wrong with red/black theme, but why would you add the wood pieces to it :blush:
The wood is optional. Whoever ordered it checked the box. It comes standard with a leather strip and you can order a Aluminum, which looks much better with red/black.

Wood would make sense in a black/black interior just so it wont look like a coal bin.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
little of topic, but who the hell came up with this interior design?

Looks like BMW hired some ricer to do this, I mean nothing wrong with red/black theme, but why would you add the wood pieces to it :blush:
Thats somebody with no taste in color who was given the ability to custom order their car...

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
No. I am not convinced I like the ISF. I need to see it in person. Sometimes I think it looks agressive and sexy, others I think it looks fat and ricer. At this point my favorite is still the RS4 of them all... but I am not getting a new car for atleast another 2 years so I have plenty of time to find out what all these new cars can do.

Word......

Here's a black series RS4:

·
Registered
3,015 Posts

·
Übercargeek
16,623 Posts
Wow! The stacked quads are already on their way to succeeding Altezza taillights as Lexus' next contribution to car modding/tuner culture...

·
Registered
11,025 Posts
If it only ends up having 400hp I will be somewhat dissapointed. BMW made this engine 7 years ago in the E39 M5(5L V8 400hp). Yes, I know they are trying to avoid the gas guzzler tax but if they don't get it to atleast 430 I will frown upon it.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
If it only ends up having 400hp I will be somewhat dissapointed. BMW made this engine 7 years ago in the E39 M5(5L V8 400hp). Yes, I know they are trying to avoid the gas guzzler tax but if they don't get it to atleast 430 I will frown upon it.

What one of the BMW guys had to say:

·
Registered
11,025 Posts
What one of the BMW guys had to say:

You have some sort of personal vendetta against the IS-F, I do not. I am going to wait until I see official numbers before I make final judgement on the engine. But, I agree if it comes out to be in the low 400s, then it will be behind the pack. The AUDI and BMW are producing 100 hp/liter, and the BENZ is making enough torque to rip you a new one.

To be fair, the lexus is trying to avoid the gas guzzler tax, but in this ultra competitive market with buyers mostly concerned about brute power (and are willing to pay for it), Lexus should have been more concerned with raising the power then avoiding a gas guzzler tax.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
You have some sort of personal vendetta against the IS-F, I do not. I am going to wait until I see official numbers before I make final judgement on the engine. But, I agree if it comes out to be in the low 400s, then it will be behind the pack. The AUDI and BMW are producing 100 hp/liter, and the BENZ is making enough torque to rip you a new one.

To be fair, the lexus is trying to avoid the gas guzzler tax, but in this ultra competitive market with buyers mostly concerned about brute power (and are willing to pay for it), Lexus should have been more concerned with raising the power then avoiding a gas guzzler tax.

me? I'm considering it as my next car..... along with the M3 & RS4/RS5/S5
As a matter of fact, if it's $60K, then show me where to sign....
Eric...

61 - 80 of 109 Posts