Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up everyone.

I wanna try to make this short and sweet. I am not so new to import scene but I am new to IS300 in particular. I have a few plans for it, nothing over the top though. Just picked it up 2 weeks ago, and finished up putting some coilovers on it today. After getting rid of the ghey tails and putting the front lip on, I was going to look into an exhaust.... Now, while laying under the car today working on rear suspension, I noticed that the 'cat-back' or rather axle back or resonator back is rather short....My question is, besides noise and chrome shiny stuff, does one really get anything out of an 'axle back'? By common sense I would thing changing the resonator to a straight pipe, no cat, and an after market header would do something, but does changing out the axle back do anything? I am talking about hp/tq wise. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,207 Posts
on the IS, exhaust mods from the cat back don't do much, just a couple horsepower and there isn't much of a difference in power between any exhausts, axle-backs included, because there is so little variation, pick what you want for the sound, not for power.

·
Domestic Reaper
3,025 Posts
^^ yea long hit the nail on the head. Changing out the axleback will give you a little tone to the exhaust and very minimal gains and catback doesn't really do anything but make it a little louder. if your really looking into power and dont give a hoot hwo your car sounds then look into the mazzuri exhaust system. It comes in a headerback style. It has been proven with the most gains however my friend has it with 3in piping and no cats n no resonators so i can hear him miles away and kinda can sound poopy at higher rpms

·
Premium Member
12,268 Posts
Maybe he had some covers on it.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
I wonder what he changed the tails to if it were the stock tails he was referring to.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts