Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here from the great white north fearing the winter like me?

It snowed a few weeks ago, limited accumulation, and I had to drive in 1st gear, in the snow mode, with TRAC on, just to avoid sliding across the lanes. At least I have MT. :eek:

Breaking was a disaster! The ABS was screaming!

Any 2001 owners have any insight?

Types of snow tires? How many inches? Sand bags in the trunk help at all?

It was somewhat foolish of me to buy this car while having to endure Canadian Winters but the enjoyment from the Summer while far outway the disadvantages.

Cheers.

LN

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I live in Canada and winter driving in the IS is not fun...

I have Bridgestone Blizzak LM-22's (205/55/16) on my 16" winter rims. Check out my winter set on my IS website below if you like... I got the LM-22's because it doesn't always snow heavily. Sometimes there are periods of dry winters so the LM-22's work descent on dry roads as well as snow and ice.

This year I added 2 sandbags to the trunk (near the rear axle not the tail end of the trunk!) and it helps alot.

If you get winter tires, make sure you get narrower tires. Narrower tires cut through the snow for traction rather than slide over snow like fatter tires do.

One more thing. I heard that RainX Defroster Windshield fluid works very well in the winter. You can use it to get rid of the frost on your windshield without it immediately freezing back up on you. Plus, it makes your windshield more water resistent... I'll be switching to that after I drain my existing stuff...

Good luck!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can understand how the torque would be a problem. But when you're travelling 20km/hr and need the transmission to slow down, I had no other choice.

You can't really downshift to 1st...

Anyways, I have no choice but to "ugly" up my car for 4 months with those stunning black alluminum rims....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
4 Participants
lexusNexus
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing