Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will snow tires really help me? I know our cars suck in the snow. If I get snow tires is it just a waste of money? Im in NY so I just got a Sh** load of show. Thanks.

·
Registered
946 Posts
You need snow tires there. They will make the difference between going and not going, and as the other post said, keep you from crashing.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What are some good snow tires? Bridgestone? Toyo? What should I go with.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Blizzak makes probably the most well known and premium. Michelin makes a tire called the Alpine. Both are comparable I've heard.

·
Premium Member
7,976 Posts
Bridgestone Blizzak or Michelin Alpine are perfect for our cars. For better traction you could get the treads studded also.

·
8,849 Posts
If you want to drive the IS in snow, be sure to have snow tires on.
All-seasons give the car some ability to drive, but it is very limited.
Summer tires on snow is a suicide.
Snow tires make winter driving very tolerable and even pleasurable.

My snow tires are back on and the difference between them and the all-seasons on snow is very noticeable.

Don't do anything crazy and you will be OK.

Drive safe! 8)

P.S.
It is recommended to get 16" rims and 205-55-16 snow tires for them. They cost less and are less prone to bending, which is important with all snow-related potholes that start showing up.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Which model Blizzak are you guys referring to or does it matter? I was looking into the Blizzak LM-22 since there's lots of talk about that model. How long do snow tires last? Most of us use them from December onto March depending where you're located but it won't snow everyday. Will they wear out faster under normal road conditions without snow?

·
8,849 Posts
^^^^
I use Blizzak LM22s.
They last about 2 seasons. On dry road, they wear out the most (driving habbits play a big role here).

A tip:
If you put your summer tires on too early and it snows, do not drive it.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Intensa03Lex23 said:
Will snow tires really help me? I know our cars suck in the snow. If I get snow tires is it just a waste of money? Im in NY so I just got a Sh** load of show. Thanks.
I've been doing really well (went shopping on Saturday :) -- I ownt the Clearview Expwy and Cross Island Pkwy)

I bought some 215/45R17 Continental Extreme Contact All-Seasons. They are perfect for stock wheels cause I can use them ALL YEAR round if I so choose, AND THEY KICK ARSE in the SNOW!

Dont waste your $$$ ON winter tires unless you definitely plan on running summer bling wheels and tires.

I am tryin to get rid of my summer wheels/tires and just run these stock 17's all year round! ;)

·
Registered
30,476 Posts
davefisher said:
Blizzak makes probably the most well known and premium. Michelin makes a tire called the Alpine. Both are comparable I've heard.
its Alpin...

I roll on those and love em. Not as much as blizzaks and they have decent dry handling.

·
Registered
18,524 Posts
I got Dunlop wintersport M2's mounted on the stock rims...205-50-17 as per tirerack's reccomendations for best size for the snow tires.....

used them last winter, they were pretty damn good on a few inches of snow and slick roads...definatly noticed the difference from the summer tires...

I plan on installing them this week and storing my ltuned rims for the winter... 8)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am running Pirelli P Zero Nero M&S. first year so we will see but definitely a significant difference in the wet over the summer tires. very low noise and enough grip to make the car fun to drive at less than insane speeds, so I would not hesitate to run them year round as long as your car is only a commuter.

·
8,849 Posts
^^^^
Do not use snow tires all-year round. That will create more wear on them and make them less effective.

On Bridgestone tires (probably on others too), they use high-silica compound that is found on top of the thread. Once it is worn out, the tire's effectiveness drops to the all-season tire level.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
yes you have to get 4 snow tires.

i am running the bridgestone blizzaks ws-50 (kinda like a pure snow tire) which is different from the LM-22 (kinda like a performance snow tire if you can call it that). they have different speed ratings, but the ws-50 run fine for me. i had them on till April last year (was waiting on my Volks to arrive) and i still have tons of tread on them.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Snow Tires

The easiest and best thing to do for an IS is to get a dedicated snow tire and wheel combo. Whether this is buying the wheels or using the stock wheels and upsizing in the summer this is the best way to go for our car. There can be some variation in the exact tire choice but the Blizzak WS-50 has the best snow and ice traction. We need all 4, because it is not safe to run 2.

2 Snows?

·
Registered
312 Posts
the semprits are definitly great "bang for your buck"!!! Dont waste your money on the Blizzaks, i have had several tire guys tell me they are not worth the money!!!

·
Registered
214 Posts
FYI: 215/45/17s Alpines are out for the season, trust me I checked around many many places...ended up getting 4 Blizzak wm50 from Brandon @ Tirerack...call him, he's great and will help u :D

As for wheels, I had chrome so i had to end up getting 4 oem alloys off of ebay...great deal also

1 - 20 of 23 Posts