Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it worth it to get winter tires? or should I get a new set of 16inch rims with winter tires on them? since the tires alone will cost over 1K anyway.
and... anyone know where to get cheaper tires or rims with winter tires, and what brand is better? thanks
also, all season tire is a waste of money Rite? (around NYC area)

· Registered
1,629 Posts
Don't try to drive on snow with the stock SUMMER tires. You risk hurting yourself and others. Not to mention the costly repair bills.

A set of winter tires should last at least three to four winters.

· Registered
2,767 Posts
what tires u plan on buying for 1k???

· Registered
30,490 Posts
I've ran Michelin Alpin pilots (this will be 3rd winter, and final season based on current wear) and love em. I drive long distance in the snow during the winter and I was very impressed w/ the car's sudden ability to get from A-to-B safely compared w/ all-seasons. Its a no brainer... I f you have to drive in the snow, get the snow tires. The Blizzaks are "the best" but you don't need the best and your wallet will thank you.

· Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah, I just checked the price, it's not as bad as what the dealer told me. :wink: how about shipping, m&b... how much will that cost me all together?
also, how bad is snow tire on dry road? not planning to, but what if I use it for summer too?
thanks guys

· Registered
849 Posts
c2kdb said:
yeah, I just checked the price, it's not as bad as what the dealer told me. :wink: how about shipping, m&b... how much will that cost me all together?
also, how bad is snow tire on dry road? not planning to, but what if I use it for summer too?
thanks guys
You don't want to run snow tires on dry pavement too much...it will eat away the tread....those snow tires are so damn soft. Also I don't know the S&H on 4 tires but I had to order a tire from tirerack and the S&H was like $5 or something ridiculously low...I was pleasantly surprised!

I went to a local tire shop around me and bought a $40 pacakge (their Road Hazard Warranty) and it covers free rotation, mounting and balancing for the life of the tire....so I get my winter tires mounted for free every winter :D

· Registered
2,767 Posts
im thinking of gettin the p zero nero M&S. they seem to be very good all around in every category. i deff plan on driving on dry pavement much more then snow

· Registered
15 Posts
Just to add..

I ordered a winter tire/wheel package from Tirerack. Not only was the price good, but they get them to you so quickly you kind of have to scratch your head and say WTF? To ship 4 16" wheels with Dunlop Winter Sport M3's the shipping was around $70 and I got them in three days.

· Registered
9 Posts
cheapest I could find

hey guys I live in MN, and just got an IS. I went to discounttiredirect & I got hooked up with Semperit's 205/55/16's w/ black powdercoated steel wheels for winter only for $470 for everything. E-me if you need anything else... j

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.