Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I ordered a set of Konig Monsoon wheels with 205/16/55 Goodyear Ultra Grip snow tires. I went to put them on last night and guess what... The rims did not clear the Brake Calilper. son of a batch! I even asked them this question when I ordered the rims because I knew that a few people had run into this problem. So now, with snow and ice expected tonight, I am still on my Goodyear GS-D's. To top it all off, I dropped my wife car off for brakes this morning and it will not be done until tomorrow. This is Bad Luck. and I do not want the third thing to be a cracked up IS300. Just wanted to share my sad story with you.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
i would really like to get some tires and rims so can someone please post what they have so this problem of the brake calipers does'nt happen

thanks

------------------
Later

ONYX 01

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Originally posted by mccarlin:
i would really like to get some tires and rims so can someone please post what they have so this problem of the brake calipers does'nt happen

thanks

http://www.altwheels.com/productdetail.asp?id=11

I didn't have a chance to scan the pics I took with these rims on my car.

These rims cost me 525 at a local auto shop.

-crontab -l

------------------
An Ecstatic Owner of a Fully-Loaded Graphite Gray 2001 Lexus IS 300

[This message has been edited by crontab (edited December 19, 2000).]

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Originally posted by crontab:
Originally posted by mccarlin:

thanks

Hey crontab i would really appreciate it if you had some pics of it on the IS...

do you have any problem with the calipers...
are they 17" ones...

thanks
http://www.altwheels.com/productdetail.asp?id=11

-crontab -l

------------------
Later

ONYX 01

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
i just got a set of Quantum Tech (QT) S-10's
205/50 R16

they don't hit the calipers, but they used spacers....i paid little under 1K... it would be a little cheaper with snow tires.. i had nitto 450 extremes put on..they're all-seasons..but they been working pretty good..

·
Registered
219 Posts
contrab
What kind (make, model, and size) are those rims?

Originally posted by crontab:

-crontab -l

·
Registered
219 Posts
contrab,
Well I looked at the link
and found out the info - oops. I really like the looks of those wheels. How do they look on the IS? Did you get 17's? I would also love to see a pic.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
The ones I got were 16x7. I didn't get the 17", cuz I didn't feel like paying more for temporary winter rims. Plus 16" tires are a little cheaper and easier to find. I will try to get my gf to develop the film ASAP.

I'm pretty sure the 17" will look decent on the car, but I got the 16". Let me put it this way, it looks worse than the stock 17" and better than the stock 16" IMHO. Hopefully JAWS can post his POV, because he was the only one in the forum that actually got to see these rims/tires on my car 1st hand.

-crontab -l

------------------

·
Registered
219 Posts
Mucho gracias - I will be getting the 16's also. It is good to know that they will definitely clear the calipers. I already sent an e-mail to altwheels to find a dealer in my area.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Crontab's rims look pretty good. I saw them very briefly and they caught my eye.

Are you getting any rubbing with this setup? I was going to try and make it through the winter with the stock 17's because we have not been getting too much snow lately. Now, with a pretty active start to the snow season, I am rethinking this decision!!

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Originally posted by JAWS:
Crontab's rims look pretty good. I saw them very briefly and they caught my eye.

Are you getting any rubbing with this setup? I was going to try and make it through the winter with the stock 17's because we have not been getting too much snow lately. Now, with a pretty active start to the snow season, I am rethinking this decision!!
Yes I am getting rubbing only on the driver side front while backing up towards the right. Its quite strange actually. Lexus will look at it on the 26th. I am fortunate to have this tires on because last week Wed. late at night (2:30AM), it was raining freezing rain and there was black ice in many spots on my way home. I was able to get home safely, but slowly, but most importantly safely. I dunno what I would have been in if I had the 17" Potenza's.

-crontab -l

------------------

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Originally posted by JAWS:

I'm trying to decide if I can eek through a coastal PA winter with all seasons. Summer tires are out of the question. It doesn't snow that much in the eastern sections of PA/NJ/NY/CT to warrant snow tires, does it???

1 - 12 of 12 Posts