Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to the combo of Sewell Lexus parts and the Tirerack, I have a great winter set up coming.

Wheels: 18 inch G spiders with center caps and sensors

Tires: Bridgestone LM 25 in OEM sizes (225 front 255 rear).
I have had LM 22s for my other cars and have liked them a lot.
The LM 25 is what the Tirerack folks are recommending (plus the 225s for the Dunlop M3s are out of stock for the forseeable future).

Price: $2150 includes mounting, balancing and delivery (that is a WOW for me).

I know a lot of folks look for a low cost winter solution.
My view is cold, wet, snowy and icy conditions require the best solution available.

The good news these days is Sewell is there to help. They will order the tires from the Tirerack, mount and balance and ship the wheel tire combo.

The price is only $150 more than it cost to do the same thing for my S2000 six years ago (for 16 inch wheels with no pressure sensors).

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Wow, that is not exactly cheap. Personally, I would have bought some old 4wd Bronco II or something similar for $400 and saved the mileage & wear on tear on the new Lexus. When the car dies or you are done with it, just donate it and write it off on your taxes. Or better yet, take the plates off, fill it with a bunch of trash, and park it along side of the road somewhere and abandon it.

Those LM25's are great tires though. But even though you will be able to get grip, doesn't mean the lunatic in the RWD Mercedes or Thunderbird in front of you/next to you has the proper tires for icy roads. You'll be ahead of the game, but it is still risky with that nice, brand new car.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Your car is going to look great... but aren't you worried about the salt destroying your G-Spiders?

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
IMPRIMIS said:
What a waste of nice wheels
Ssssssssssshhhhhhhh... you'll hurt his feelings... ;)

·
Dr. JDM
9,332 Posts
some people like to travel in style under any conditions

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey, this place is about voicing your opinions so don't worry about hurting my feelings.

Yes a winter beater is good but not if there is no wife approval factor.

I can have two cars and that's it.

I have run factory alloys with snows on my 96 volvo, 2000 S2000, 04 TL and the winter hasn't done anything to them (curbs are another matter).

The deal with the weather here is we get 6-8 day a year where it is really lousy to drive.

Other than that, we have cold roads in the winter that the Sport Maxx tires should not see.

For refernce go the S2000 forum s2ki.com and search around. You will find a bunch of stories of pennywise owners who wrecked their cars running S02s in the cold and wet weather.

When I said cheap, I was talking about the price for what I got, not an absolute.

Here is another point. The car is about $45k out the door. For another $2k you can be styling and in control year round.

Lastly, if I enjoy the wheels and the are sitting on an IS, how is that a waste?

·
Premium Member
14,190 Posts
I agree, nothing wrong with keeping nice wheels on the car year round, if you don't get DUMPED on too badly by old man winter... and yes wifes/girlfriends HATE beaters! :)

I'm thinking about keeping the stock rims year round, and swapping out tires. Was thinking about just going with a good all-season, like Michilen Pilot A/S, thoughts? Also, would you say the stock Dunlop sports will turn uselessly hard in cold temps?

BTW, curious whether tire rack ever came up with a 17 inch wheel/tire package on the IS250/350? Since thinner wheels usually do better in the snow.

·
Registered
39 Posts
s2000toIS350 said:
For refernce go the S2000 forum s2ki.com and search around. You will find a bunch of stories of pennywise owners who wrecked their cars running S02s in the cold and wet weather.
I agree. The S02's were very wild on wet pavement. I never saw snow in the S2000 though. As for my IS300, I bought a used winter set in excellent condition for $300.

Good luck with new car! I miss my S2000 :(

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The folks at the tirerack did not have any wheels assigned for the new IS when I called them Thursday. I am sure they will find a number of fine choices.

I tend to stick with the factory wheels for easy fit and replacement x years later when something happens to one.

Regarding the S2000, I enjoyed it for 6 full years and sold it to a person who is thrilled to have the car. It is a win win scene to me.

I believe the Dunlops are referred to as summer tires and I have no interest in seeing them run in the cold. Michelin makes great tires but I have no love for all season tires (maybe Nokian WR is worth looking in to).

To me the IS 350 is a performance sedan and if I am paying this much green for it, I really want to enjoy it year round.

·
11,061 Posts
chado said:
some people like to travel in style under any conditions
That's what I was going to say. Hey, if you have the money...go do it...

·
Premium Member
14,190 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts