Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
8,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:bitching: I pulled out of my driveway which was still icey and snowy and started driving down my neighborhood road...there was still a lot of snow and ice. The fucking plowguy SUCKS because he didn't do anything this morning. I'm coming around a bend uphill and I see a car coming so I slow down to a stop (narrow road with the snow). The brakes go nuts and I slide a little off to the right. Nothing major.

The car passes and I start driving again...tires keep spinning and I hear this god awful sound coming from my wheels (or suspension) it's sounds like the springs are cracking or breaking combined with thumps. Traction control must have been going crazy. No matter how hard I tried the car wouldn't budge.

So I decided to go into reverse and back a up... I start rolling and get on my brakes and start sliding, finally stopping. I try climbing the little hill again but this time I end up doing a damn drift almost slamming into a pile of snow. Right now my first period class is starting and i'm not even out of my neighborhood.

...pissed off because I scared I messed up my car (being the paranoid guy that I am with my IS...) I try again, same thing happend. I go into reverse and decided to try reversing. I go down the hill and try to do a U-turn...even that would work...so I decide to reverse all the way back to my house...even that didn't work.

So now my car is on the side of the road with the 17'' All-Seasons on and i'm pissed off. Lexus picked up the car and are putting snow tires on right now ($750) :pissed:

I should have known better trying to drive in the snow with those tires but my neighborhood was the only place with snow on the road. The roads everywhere eles were just wet, not any snow at all. So i've come to a conclusion that the plow-guy in our neighborhood can't plow for shit!

....ahhh! Just had to vent

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
that sucks...you should have gone elsewhere for the tires....i'm sure you could have gotten decent snow tires from someplace like discount tires for less than that. 17" all seasons are a waste. you give up good performance in good weather, and they still suck in the snow.

·
Registered
28,808 Posts
I'm sure your Lexus dealership will soon grow to love you as much everyone here has.

Oh, and I bet you looked pretty special drving back home in reverse. HAHAHA

·
Registered
8,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DJPoop said:
I'm sure your Lexus dealership will soon grow to love you as much everyone here has.

Oh, and I bet you looked pretty special drving back home in reverse. HAHAHA
I didn't even drive back in reverse...it wouldn't even move when I tried. So I had to leave the car on the side of the road. I didn't have any say in which tires to get (my parents took care of calling lexus, taking the car and them deciding which winter tires to get)...I'm sure lexus told them which ones to get but still...I had to go to class so I couldn't do anything about it.

...so now I have a nice voice message on my phone saying I owe them $750 for the tires. What a lovely holiday present :crazy:

·
Registered
28,808 Posts
Why are you complaining....you still live with your parents and they take care fo everything for you. Wait until you dont have that luxury anymore, then you'll have a reason to bitch.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Re: Snow sucks. Had to have car towed to Lexus for winter ti

lil' IS 300 said:
:bitching: I pulled out of my driveway which was still icey and snowy and started driving down my neighborhood road...there was still a lot of snow and ice. The fucking plowguy SUCKS because he didn't do anything this morning. I'm coming around a bend uphill and I see a car coming so I slow down to a stop (narrow road with the snow). The brakes go nuts and I slide a little off to the right. Nothing major.

The car passes and I start driving again...tires keep spinning and I hear this god awful sound coming from my wheels (or suspension) it's sounds like the springs are cracking or breaking combined with thumps. Traction control must have been going crazy. No matter how hard I tried the car wouldn't budge.

So I decided to go into reverse and back a up... I start rolling and get on my brakes and start sliding, finally stopping. I try climbing the little hill again but this time I end up doing a damn drift almost slamming into a pile of snow. Right now my first period class is starting and i'm not even out of my neighborhood.

...pissed off because I scared I messed up my car (being the paranoid guy that I am with my IS...) I try again, same thing happend. I go into reverse and decided to try reversing. I go down the hill and try to do a U-turn...even that would work...so I decide to reverse all the way back to my house...even that didn't work.

So now my car is on the side of the road with the 17'' All-Seasons on and i'm pissed off. Lexus picked up the car and are putting snow tires on right now ($750) :pissed:

I should have known better trying to drive in the snow with those tires but my neighborhood was the only place with snow on the road. The roads everywhere eles were just wet, not any snow at all. So i've come to a conclusion that the plow-guy in our neighborhood can't plow for shit!

How many times have you posted and you still didn't understand that you need snows

Moron :pissed:

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Lil, that's not a big surprise. I am running bald RE040's (summer) on the factory rims and still drive my car when the roads are clear. My subdivision doesn't get plowed for 3-5 days after a snowfall if at all. I manage to safely and slowly get out of my sub onto clrear main roads.

Sucks that you have to pay $750, though. For about $850 you could get separate wheels and tires from Tirerack, and you could have gotten the summer tires for the real summer.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Regardless of what other people are saying I know what you mean. I was gonna try to get the IS out this morning because the roads were clean but didnt because of the entrace to my driveway. The plows last night decided to block our driveway with a nice snow pile. I hopped in my Jeep and tore ass up the driveway and decimated the snow pile. I lost a fog light in the process but it was damn cool. Love my beater.

Most of the roads are clear so youre not an "idiot" for now knowing what road would have snow :roll:

Dont even bother posting here man, 30 people will probably flame you by the time im even done posting (im surprised noone has yet), put your time into school so you can make some money later on. You will just get shit because most people would kill for the life you are living and for the great education you are receiving. Noone likes to see teenage kids outdo them when they have been working their ass off all their life and achieved practically nothing. To most of the people here getting this car seems to be a fucking life achievement. Thus the reason I dont post here anymore besides the occasional parking lot post (lotta cool people there, like DJpoop). I am pretty much getting out of the modding of cars anyway. Wait till you see the new baby in the spring :wink:

PS This was not directed towards some of you that give him shit. I know some are kidding. Its directed towards the people that are actually assholes and are not just busting chops. So dont take this the wrong way...

·
Registered
15,585 Posts
Yea, dont pay 750 for the lexus install. Order a set of rims and snows off of tirerack.com for 850. Then you just have to swap rims each season.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Can I get an amen....

BTW www.tirerack.com 16" Blizzak LM22’s I paid 900 to my door ;-) last year and never looked back..... I have to say it is some of the best money I have ever spent and well worth it.

Ohh and with picking up the 17" snow or what ever tires, you now have to pay to get your tire's changed, rebalanced and summers put back on. :crazy: Then pay again next winter for changed and rebalanced and so on and so on....

DJPoop said:
Why are you complaining....you still live with your parents and they take care fo everything for you. Wait until you dont have that luxury anymore, then you'll have a reason to bitch.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Well... I duuno bout lil.... but i was dirving last nite in the snow and ma car was great... I mean i was fish tailing and slammin on the gass on purpoose but this with no cars around me. But when i was driving and not playing around, i had no problems at all..

Carry on.

·
Registered
960 Posts

lil' IS 300 said:

Your post raises a bunch of questions:

1-Did you try turning the traction control off?
2-Did you try the snow setting?
3-Do you have a LSD?
4-What brand/model of all season tires are you using?
5-E-shift or 5-speed?
6-How did you get your parents trained to take care of everything?

·
Registered
8,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, well I finally have my car back with snow tires on my 17''s...cost me a small fortune because I wasn't given the option to get 16'' with snow tires thanks to my quick deciding parents :shame:

...Anyway, I got back home to check out the tires and clean the dirty rims and discovered that there are scratches on EVERY single damn rim! And they are all in the same spot on each rim...They're long scratches on each of them, but the one of the back rims the scratch is faint than the others.

This wasn't me who scratched them...The scratches on each rim are in a pattern so i'm positive it was them when they were putting on the winter tires.

I already called them back and a guy is going to talk to his manager about replacing them. This day is great :whine:

...btw, my mailman said that it took him an hour to get out of my small neighborhood because the plowing was so shitty... :noway:

·
Registered
20,030 Posts

lil' IS 300 said:

Sorry to hear about that lil' IS 300 :cry:

It snows a lot in Wisconsin. If I were you, I'd just take the bus.
That's what I do when it snows a lot here.

Just like what someone said, focus on your schoolwork!!! Don't let this distract you!!! Your car will be fixed but your grades cannot be fixed!!!

Good luck with finals.

P.S. What school are you attending? I plan on applying to NYU. :)

·
Registered
30,635 Posts
for soemone who purports to know all int he realm of the is300, you never cease to amaze me w/ your lack of inteligence dude...

17" all seasons not only suck (16's worked for me well in the DEEP snow), but they perform like crap. when they are toast in a year or so, get summer tires on all 4 corners and switch to full-snows in the winter... YOu can get Michelin Alpin Pilots (which perform amazingly well for snows, its uncanny) for around $120/tire...

·
Registered
15,585 Posts
my thoughts exactely.

Im sure he has told countless people on this forum to get snow tires. Now look at him, he just got jacked avoiding his own advice :)

·
Registered
218 Posts
BTW, what brand and type of all-season tires are Lexus putting on the 03's? Nobody seems to be having much luck with them.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts
About this Discussion
83 Replies
29 Participants
D'sIS
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing