Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I decided to get my IS 300 a few months ago, I read all the stuff about the problems that the car has with the snow. Now, after it's snowed (I'm on long island), I'm reading about everyone's horror stories.

So, based on what I read here and in some magazine, when I ordered the car, I chose the 16" rims. (It was actually delivered with the 17" rims, and I insisted on the dealer "swapping" them--had to wait two hours, but that's a whole other story.) So now I have rims which I'm told are from some other type of Lexus.

My question is this--will these rims/tires save me from some of the headaches I'm hearing about? I actually haven't driven the car in the snow yet, because it's in the shop. (I was in an accident. You guys were nice enough to answer my questions about that in my most recent post).

And--before I get flamed--I swear I did a search on this before posting! :) Thanks folks... Hope everyone is safe driving in this crappy weather.

·
8,107 Posts
You need good snow tires, not all season tires, and probably no more than 205 width, though 215 would be ok. Rim size doesn't matter that much. With 205 or 215 width snow tires like Blizzaks or something, the IS should be fine in the snow.

·
Registered
8,661 Posts
ckolsen said:
You need good snow tires, not all season tires, and probably no more than 205 width, though 215 would be ok. Rim size doesn't matter that much. With 205 or 215 width snow tires like Blizzaks or something, the IS should be fine in the snow.
yea, DO NOT get all-season tires. From personal experience it's like driving on ice with bald tires...they are terrible. You should def. go with winter tires. I got Michelin winter tires put on my 17's instead of getting new 16'' rims and winter tires. There is a much greater deference in grip.

·
Registered
30,635 Posts
lil' IS 300 said:
ckolsen said:
yea, DO NOT get all-season tires. From personal experience it's like driving on ice with bald tires...they are terrible. You should def. go with winter tires. I got Michelin winter tires put on my 17's instead of getting new 16'' rims and winter tires. There is a much greater deference in grip.
More proof you SHOULD NOT LISTEN TO ANYTHING LIL'IS300 HAS TO SAY!!!

I had all-seasons on 16's for a solid year. I was up in VT when we got nailed w/ a storm drumping near 18 inches of snow. Sure, it sucked, but even up hills, I could get where i needed to go assuming no loss of momentum. Also, we're not talking typical "City" driving, but never over 30 mph. THe car was totally manageable. I DID get stuck 2x up hills when cars spun out in front of me but w/ a little gas and no TRAC i eventually got the tires to bite and get me out of the ruts.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I know exactly what you mean, I 'm pretty sure I have the same 16' you got on now since I'm from LI too. The 16s with all season tires aren't a whole lot better. The car is fine on snow as long as you keep rollin'. But once you stop cold and try to get the car goin', it's a nightmare. You just gotta keep the car's momentum up if you're think you're gonna get stuck.

I drove mine around LI during that snow storm last week and it wasn't too bad. But I did get stuck on my driveway and on this unplowed street when I slowed down. I would def. recommend some snow tires. RWD is not cool on snow, this new ES driver tried to help me that day and he was movin' fine while I was stuck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
8 Participants
is300wk
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing