1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got alot o' snow today in Michigan and i have not had
my IS for very long(660 miles)and i i got stuck!So,i turned on
my traction control and,well.....nothin happened.It wouldn't
even go pass a certain amount of rpms when i gunned it.
When i turned it off,i was able to floor it and get out.Is this
how traction control works?I have never had trac control before so i
am very puzzled. :-? Can someone help me out?

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
I thought traction control was on automatically?? Anyway, yeah, when it detects wheel spinnage it will basically shut the car down, anyway, thats what it feels like :-?

·
Registered
511 Posts
Well, when you push the trac button don't a little lite in the gauge cluster come on??? Correct me if I'm wrong but it say's "TRAC OFF" So :roll: :roll: :crazy:

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Dagoboy said:
Of course it won't go past certain RPMs. Traction Control DETECTS wheel slippage, and by describing your situation, it was detecting hell-a slippage, so it "shuts down" your engine power output.

I guess you got the car out the right way. Next best thing is snow tires.

·
Registered
16 Posts
You are definitely need snow tires. I learned the hard way. It took me two hours one winter to get out of the parking lot at work when I had summer tires on. Besides driving home that night was very dangerous!

To get out of the parking lot I had to turn TRAC off and floor it.

BTW - I have Nokian NRW all-season plus tires for winter and they are quiet and perform great in the snow.

Good luck! :-?

Dagoboy said:

·
Manufacturer of Pipes
5,285 Posts
OK

TRAC is always on........ When driving in small amount of snow it will aid
you in controlling a possible spin out.... This is when you will also want to engage the SNOW button.. This will help alot more when driving in snowy conditions....

But when you get stuck in snow.... shut TRAC off and SNOW off....and punch that gas pedal, cuz that's the only way you are gonna get out, especially if you are driving on the 17" Summer Tires.... :shame: :noway:

Joe Z :chill:

Hope this helps....

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
yep, fucking snowed today here in MI. :pissed: It took me a good 45 min commute to the otherwise 15 min. Yes, the traction control was kicking in my car too so I have to turned in off too so I can get out of the work parking lot. I got stuck in there.

just a little of warning to everybody, please don't drive your IS in snow with those summer tires. :shame: you wont get anywhere and ends up causing accident to yourself and other drivers.

·
Registered
218 Posts
lex-ative said:
Of course it won't go past certain RPMs. Traction Control DETECTS wheel slippage, and by describing your situation, it was detecting hell-a slippage, so it "shuts down" your engine power output.

I guess you got the car out the right way. Next best thing is snow tires.
I think you got something a little mixed up. I understood it to be the snow button to lower engine torque when starting off in snow, and the TRAC button to apply brakes when it detects slippage. You can hear it purring back there when you spin for a while.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm glad I don't have to worry about snow, snow tires, etc.....it's Dec. 13th and not a snow flake in sight! :lol:

Yeah, I'm a Jerk!!!!!.................Gotta love Hawaii :p
Aloha :D

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I have a BMW 328i, with low 225 45R16s, and I have the same problem with my car. In the snow, it doesn't get very far. ASC, automatic slip control, brakes the wheels that spin. But if there is no traction, the car won't go anywhere. My suggestion would be to get a winter beater, or to get blizzaks on your car. My bimmer hibernates during the winter, and my 4Runner comes to life.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
12 Participants
hasanazhar
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing