Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Sorry if this has been posted somewhere else, but I tried the search function and couldn't find the answer to this:

I have a 5MT is300, and while I don't often use the Snow Mode, I will be doing so occasionally this season. I'm wondering if using the snow mode damages the tranny/clutch at all. It seems that as I accelerate in snow mode, some of the RPMs are getting scrubbed off. What's scrubbing off the RPMs, the clutch?

I know the car is throttle by wire, but that doesn't seem to be coming into play here. I'm hearing the car rev up (rev's rise consistently in both snow and regular mode), but the acceleration in snow mode doesn't match it. So, I guess, I'm kinda wondering where those extra revs are going. I really hope the clutch isn't engaging somehow, because there's no way snow mode is good for your clutch if it's basically engaged the whole time...

·
Premium Member
5,207 Posts
snow mode cuts back on throttle inputs to provide less power.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
snow mode cuts back on throttle inputs to provide less power.
That's what I figured would happen, only there's no difference between the amount of rev's i get in regular and snow mode.

Let's see if I can explain this better. In snow mode, my car rev's to 3k, but doesn't accelerate like it's at 3k. It accelerates like i'm slowly releasing the clutch, even when the clutch is totally out. So, the throttle input is the same because the car is revving the same. Somehow, about 2k of that 3k is getting scrubbed off somewhere. I'm hoping its not using the clutch somehow to do that - talk about wearing the clutch out!

·
Dr. JDM
9,332 Posts
yeah because it takes longer now to get to 3k

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah because it takes longer now to get to 3k
Ok, the car gets to 3k like normal while in snow mode.

With the clutch completely disengaged, and the car revving consistantly at 3k, the car accelerates slower, as if I'm holding the clutch halfway in.

Does this make sense? I fear that I am not explaining this very well...

Another example: without the clutch being engaged, if i mash the pedal in snow mode, the revs go up, but the car doesn't accelerate as quickly as normal. So my pedal is still making the car rev like usual, only it's not accelerating as fast as normal. Again, the best way I can describe this is that it feels as if i'm holding the clutch and slowly releasing it while keeping the revs high.

·
Dr. JDM
9,332 Posts
it does take longer to get to 3k. i have a 5-speed and have used snow mode. don't worry about it, it also works on the automatics

·
Registered
15,585 Posts
I use snow mode on my manual from time to time... all it does it makes the throttle less sensitive so that you dont spin the wheels in snow.

It isnt more complicated than that.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Huecifer... is your traction control on when you're experiencing this? Because what you're talking about sounds like what I experience when trying to accelerate on a slippery surface. The revs climb like normal... but the car doesn't move at a rate of speed which matches the revs.

But under the effects of snow mode alone... I experience what HoustonLex and Chado are talking about. Snow mode alone will just make your throttle less sensitive so you can throw down a huge spike of torque... making it less likely for your wheels to spin.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts