Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This snow is killin me. Got stuck 3 times today coming home from work. The IS is worse than my mustang was in the snow!!

What do you guy do to deal with the snow without changing to winter tires?

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have 17 all season and I have not had any problems on my way home. The car handles snow better than my wife's 94 Accord... Just use the SNOW button and drive SLOW.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got stuck on the ramp to the Verrazano for a couple minutes. Car just kept kicking the rear out on me and not budging. I was using the Snow button, trac on .. only thing that got me finally rollin was trac off, no snow button and alot of spinnin.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I almost crashed my car with less than an inch of snow last year dont even bother just leave ur car at home and take the bus.....
I will never drive that car in snow ever again.Its parked up rit now with 4 inches of the white stuff on it :bitching:

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was driving home thinking to myself I can't believe Lexus would even sell a car this terrible in the snow. I have never driven a car so bad in the snow before .. is there anything to help?

·
Registered
38 Posts
you must drive like a retard. i drove today and had no problems. you need to go slow and go light on the gas pedal. GO EASY!!!

·
Registered
697 Posts
bitty said:
I was driving home thinking to myself I can't believe Lexus would even sell a car this terrible in the snow. I have never driven a car so bad in the snow before .. is there anything to help?
snow tires

·
Registered
20,030 Posts
bitty said:
The IS is worse than my mustang was in the snow!!

My IS is worse than my old 1996 Toyota Corolla! :crazy:

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
babylex said:
you must drive like a retard. i drove today and had no problems. you need to go slow and go light on the gas pedal. GO EASY!!!
i'm pretty sure you're the tard..

I haven't gave gas at all and had the car roll.. andit still slide ~ side to side~

on my 17's

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
bitty said:
This snow is killin me. Got stuck 3 times today coming home from work. The IS is worse than my mustang was in the snow!!

stay home! save the LEX!

any rear wheel drive car is not good on snow
unless you drive a Salt spreader :crazy:

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Get snow tires. The car handles just fine with the right set of snow tires. Blizzaks or Nokians will work wonders. Lexus made a perfectly fine car for the winter. You, like many other IS300 owners, were foolish enough to try to drive a rear wheel drive car with summer performance tires in the middle of winter. :shame:

·
Registered
861 Posts
I prefer a rear wheel drive car in the winter with snow tires ;-)

at least you can kick the ass out when ever you need it too as long as you know how to drive on the white stuff....

:chill:

dje said:
bitty said:

stay home! save the LEX!

any rear wheel drive car is not good on snow
unless you drive a Salt spreader :crazy:

·
Registered
30,635 Posts
bitty said:
you must be 1 horrific driver... or stillon your summer tires... SUMMER ONLY!!!!

Snows make the thing rock solid...

·
Registered
469 Posts
Get snow tires. And I don't mean all-season tires. I mean actual SNOW tires. I believe one of the magazines did a test of snow tires on the IS in an ice rink of all places and they worked beautifully.

I remember people actually used to which to snow tires for the winter. Then dealers started using all-season tires as a selling point to buyers saying that they didn't have to change tires with the season. But in truth, you'd still want to even with all-seasons if you want to be safe.

But hey... who want's to play it safe when you can be lazy and cheap. :crazy:

P.S. I think it's been said here before, but the IS is known for it's ease to exhibit oversteer (when the rear kicks out). It's supposedly the drift king in Japan. I've got some pretty cool MPEGs of it drifting on the track. Just PM me if you want it. Not sure I can post a huge vid file here.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts