Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I am taking a road trip in about a week and will being going through an area that MAY snow (Heading down I-5 south through Oregon). I am looking for a set of snow chains and was wondering what people are sporting that is affective and easy to put on. I know I can ask the guy at Les Schwab but I want the opinions of people that actually have used what they bought and not what the store is trying to sell me.

So... Opinions on:
Cable vs. Chain
Brands
General tips just in case
Best story about f-ups that are good teaching experiences

All info is much appreciated

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, So after hitting 3 stores that did not carry my size I got an answer from Les Schwab.

The tire size for my rears (255/40 18, I have the x package) is considered very new and therefore there is only one company that makes it in a specialty style. It is the only chain that is made for a low profile tire and sporty car. Regular chains have a clearance issue and would slap the inner wheel well so these are suppose to prevent that from happening. The whole set up looks weird as hell, is never in stock yet, takes 1 week to get, and it also costs $400...

Soooooooo I am going to do more research but I figure this is good info to put out there.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was thinking about a dedicated set. This is my first winter season with the IS and so far my summer tires have been doing fine. I don't really see much value in getting a dedicated set...yet. I could be wrong as we get deeper into winter though.

·
Premium Member
14,190 Posts
It all depends how much snow you get. For me, it's just a few a year, and for that I'd rather rent a car than pay for a new set of rims and tires. I will say that if you do get more than an inch and the roads aren't clear, it's not worth trying the summer tires, best you'll get stuck, WORST, you'll get into a wreck.

Meanwhile, as I'm sure you know, The Tire Rack - Your performance experts for tires and wheels has some good winter wheel and tire packages. I'd recommend a 17inch snow tire and rim package for better traction FYI.

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
If I still lived in Ohio, I'd sure have a set of snow tires and wheels.

Back in the day I had a Mazda pickup with just Goodyear studded snow tires on the back and a couple of sand bags in the bed and that thing would go anywhere.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Where I live it rarely ever snows and when is does it usually does not stick (I'm in a downtown area). If I venture 1 mile or 2 into the residential areas then I will see the snow sticking and things getting a little slick. However, by noon time to city has most of these roads plowed, sanded, and deiced. I am thinking of getting a dedicated set of winter tires just so that I can have extra traction in the rain and slush. I'll start cruising the snow tire thread later today

BTW, i just picked up some cable chains from a Shuckes/Kragen/Auto Zone. They said that the clearance is no problem as long as I put on these adjusters that take up the slack (and if I don't overload my car). Also I should keep it under 35 mph unless I want chain slap on the quarter panels. I figure if I am in the snow I wont be going over 23-25.

·
Premium Member
14,190 Posts
BTW, i just picked up some cable chains from a Shuckes/Kragen/Auto Zone. They said that the clearance is no problem as long as I put on these adjusters that take up the slack (and if I don't overload my car). Also I should keep it under 35 mph unless I want chain slap on the quarter panels. I figure if I am in the snow I wont be going over 23-25.
Cool, how much? Can you put them on all 4 wheels? Any worry about damage to the rims with them?

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cool, how much? Can you put them on all 4 wheels? Any worry about damage to the rims with them?
I only got a pair for the rear for $40 ($35 for chains and $5 for the adjuster) The guy said if installed properly they should be tight on the tire and not touch the rim. I am a little nervous about messing up my rims but the clearance of the sidewall and the rim looks like it will be fine.

While we find your parts, please enter your ZIP Code at PartsAmerica.com

Ever seen what happens to a fender when one of them chains happens to break?
Yes, I seen many fly off and destroy sheet metal. In Washington we have retards with snow chains on and no snow going 50+ mph on the freeway. Buses too... Our roads are so screwed up cause of that.

I watched this ass-hat drive 60 mph with his chain slapping his rear quarter and sparking like crazy. The guy never slowed down, just kept going.

I plan on going no faster then 25 if I ever need them. I'm only getting these so that I am prepared when I take my road trip tomorrow. Grants Pass and Ashland look like they might get some rain to wash the road clean but you never know.

Better to have and not need then to need and not have.

·
Premium Member
14,190 Posts
Ever seen what happens to a fender when one of them chains happens to break?
Can't be worse than what happens when you slide into the guy in front of you? ;) Of course parking our car or getting winter tires is the best idea I suppose... that said I'm eager to see how these things work. Please keep us posted!

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
Can't be worse than what happens when you slide into the guy in front of you? ;) Of course parking our car or getting winter tires is the best idea I suppose... that said I'm eager to see how these things work. Please keep us posted!
Like edho said, some retards will leave the chains on and drive on more or less dry roads. His intent to use them to get up mountain passes is probably well worth it, especially on ice. They're really good for getting up hills. Studded snow tires do well too, where they're legal. Routine driving with just some snow and a few ice patches, one doesn't really need chains.

·
Premium Member
14,190 Posts
Like edho said, some retards will leave the chains on and drive on more or less dry roads. His intent to use them to get up mountain passes is probably well worth it, especially on ice. They're really good for getting up hills. Studded snow tires do well too, where they're legal. Routine driving with just some snow and a few ice patches, one doesn't really need chains.
I'm surprised the chains/cables aren't illegal in more places, like the studded tires!?

·
Premium Member
14,190 Posts
Any luck with these things yet?

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Any luck with these things yet?
Funny you ask, I just got home just now. I yesterday I drove from LA to Redding. Obviously no snow but the rain was pouring and I think its funny how much Californians complain about the rain.

Today I drove from Redding to Seattle and had to pass the Yerika to Ashland area that required chains on all vehicles.

Short answer: The cables that I bought worked perfectly. I didn't even need the adjusters.

Long answer: The cables fit really snug and do not touch the rim at all. They are a bit of a bitch to get on and off due to the low clearance of the rear but if you just do it and don't mind getting dirty then they are no problem. I recommend a big rain poncho and knee pads so you can lay in the snow without getting soaked. Also, have a THIN pair of water proof gloves(kinda like the kind used by fish market people or dish washers). It helps if you can feel the cable and it gets cold and wet. Practice once or twice at home so that you don't stand in the snow and getting sprayed by semis as they pass by trying to figure out what you are doing. Read the instructions.

Important reminder: Make sure you clip the left over slack of the loose end to the rest of the setup. If you don't it will spin out and hit the body of your car as you drive. I watched a tard drive off and beat the hell out of his rear.

Driving with the chains was not a big issue. I was able get up to 45 mph on the slush/wet. The cable stayed in place and didn't budge. No slapping or rubbing. Clearance was not an issue. In the snow I was doing about 25 - 30 mph and I was in control the whole time.

Obvious but important reminder: Make sure you are in snow mode, it makes a huge difference. I noticed that I was in more control when I let the car downshift for me (auto mode). Manual mode and engine braking made me slide a bit.

Just to make use I don't get a angry PM. I have the X package rims with 255/40 18 and I bought the cables from Shuckes model 1042. Results may vary

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Great review, thx a bunch! Do you by chance have a weblink to the actual product you installled? Also what's an average time it takes to install, and to clarify, did you ONLY do the 2 rear tires? Or the fronts as well? Oh yeah, how much did they run roughly, including the tightener?

Thx a bunch!
I only installed one pair on the rear. It took me 20 min of rolling in the snow/mud to get both on. If you are worried about getting dirty then it will take longer but if you don't give a damn about the clothes and just want to get moving then 20 min is all you need.

I paid $41 for the cables and adjusters/tightener, but they were not needed. So its $36+tax for the cables

You might need to type in your zip after you click on the link to get to the product description.
While we find your parts, please enter your ZIP Code at PartsAmerica.com

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
I don't know about these, but with the old fashioned chains we used to lay them out flat and roll the car on them, then wrap them around the tire and fasten.

·
Premium Member
14,190 Posts
I don't know about these, but with the old fashioned chains we used to lay them out flat and roll the car on them, then wrap them around the tire and fasten.
Edho, is that the way you install? Thx for the link. BTW, did you compare any other prodcuts, besides those mentioned in this thread before going with these? Also, I noticed in the link there's no warranty on the cables/chains, wonder why? Guess they fear they can't police intelligence, for improper install, huh?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts