Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,958 Posts
I don't know about Maine, but in Massachusetts the police officer's vehicle must be viewable by the driver. And if it's during the night, headlight/parking lights must be on. They can't be sneaky about it and hind in the bushes, in this case in an unmarked car. The only way they could do that is if the highway is marked and has a sign stating highway is patrolled by unmarked police vehicles. And the only highway that i know off in Mass that has this is Mass Turnpike 90

·
13,898 Posts
Eminence said:
I don't know about Maine, but in Massachusetts the police officer's vehicle must be viewable by the driver. And if it's during the night, headlight/parking lights must be on. They can't be sneaky about it and hind in the bushes, in this case in an unmarked car. The only way they could do that is if the highway is marked and has a sign stating highway is patrolled by unmarked police vehicles. And the only highway that i know off in Mass that has this is Mass Turnpike 90
is that a law in MA that the officer has to be seen by the driver?

·
Registered
422 Posts
Eminence said:
Not in NY or CT, they hide all over the place in the damn bushes, behind over paths, on entrance ramps, anywhere that they can get that cruiser hide and you cant see it.
what i do when i am driving and i see them hiding out either on the north or south bound sides, i mark the location and i always remember to slow down when i get close to that point.
Here in CT they drive: ford explorers, crown victorias, camaros, chevy impalas and i have seen one chrysler intrepid.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
yeah, they used this method in NJ as well, back in mid 2003

it was about 2 mins away from my high school...those damn bastards!!
good thing i wasnt pulled over or caught...

they had one guy parked up on the grass (which is illegal) with a radar/laser gun...dunno which...
i happened to spot him and told my friends to slow down...
none of us got caught...
anyway, after he "tags" the speeding car, he radios the 6 cops parked in a parking lot coming up...
one of the cops walk onto the street, tells everyone to stop, and orders the perp to pull into the parking lot full of cops...very scary... :eek:

·
Premium Member
7,958 Posts
oneeyejack said:
Eminence said:
I believe so. I have gotten two speeding tickets thrown out already. One a local cop was clocking with radar in the morning around 4a.m but didnt have any of his lights on. 2, Mass state trooper supposedly clocked me at 85, but he wasnt visible (hiding in the bush on the on/off ramp). I didn't say anything else beside that. It was thrown out quickly. I guess aparently how are you suppose to clock someone behind a bush?

·
Apricot idea killer
17,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Eminence - this is the best news that ive heard all day!! i had no clue about driving rules like that here..........unfortunately i was picked up a couple of weeks ago as i sped past TWO unmarked cops on 90 going 100mph - they were actually super nice and knocked the speed down to 80, which i was pleased with even though it's a frickin ticket

2pac - i would end up doing the same things when i lived there - they always are hiding in the same spots - and hey, add a goddamned old school bronco to your list of unmarked vehicles - when i saw that it really scared me :(

·
Premium Member
7,958 Posts
adamsheehy said:
Eminence - this is the best news that ive heard all day!! i had no clue about driving rules like that here..........unfortunately i was picked up a couple of weeks ago as i sped past TWO unmarked cops on 90 going 100mph - they were actually super nice and knocked the speed down to 80, which i was pleased with even though it's a frickin ticket

2pac - i would end up doing the same things when i lived there - they always are hiding in the same spots - and hey, add a goddamned old school bronco to your list of unmarked vehicles - when i saw that it really scared me :(
In your case, you won't be able to use my previous statement, only because these unmarked cars probably wasn't doing any patrol, rather they were just crusing somewhere, and they werent intentionally trying to fool anyone. If you are doing 90mph a state trooper, they have the right to pull you over and citate you. I'm taking that you literally flew by the cop's car? If they were on the side of the road, hiding, thats another story. On the roads i travel, their are unmarked cars all over the place, but unless you are crazily over the speed limit, they usually don't pull you over (going with the flow of traffic).

·
13,898 Posts
Eminence said:
oneeyejack said:
Eminence said:
I believe so. I have gotten two speeding tickets thrown out already. One a local cop was clocking with radar in the morning around 4a.m but didnt have any of his lights on. 2, Mass state trooper supposedly clocked me at 85, but he wasnt visible (hiding in the bush on the on/off ramp). I didn't say anything else beside that. It was thrown out quickly. I guess aparently how are you suppose to clock someone behind a bush?
so how are they supposed to do this then?? put the police lights on and turn on all their lights so that you can see them?? :-?

so what did you tell the judge? they weren't visible so i didn't see them and the judge just let you off? :-?

·
Premium Member
7,958 Posts
I just told the judge that I did in fact see the trooper but he was being very sneaky about his patrol, and plus neither his parking lights nor driving lights were on. The judge let me go.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Eminence said:
I just told the judge that I did in fact see the trooper but he was being very sneaky about his patrol, and plus neither his parking lights nor driving lights were on. The judge let me go.
lucky you,i wish they use to do that in CT.
may be i should look into this and seeif it is a law down here too.

·
Premium Member
7,958 Posts
2pac said:
Eminence said:
lucky you,i wish they use to do that in CT.
may be i should look into this and seeif it is a law down here too.
Believe me bro, i wish i had looked into it more in depth also, i had to learn things the hard way. I've got tickets, like you won't even believe it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.