Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did well... took home a 7th place trophy out of 39 drivers in my class.

But on our instructional runs (ie. the fun runs after the real event) I snapped my front right tirod (sp?).

I had to limp the car a few blocks away to call Lexus Roadside Assistance.

Luckily, even though I have quite a few aftermarket mods (including suspension work) Lexus will cover it under warranty, but...

Damn! This car isn't supposed to break like that!!

Why do you veteran Autocrossers think this happened?

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Damn!!!!!!!!!!!

Couple of questions...

How Fast?
What Manuver?

What Kind of suspension work do you have?

My first guess would be that the suspesion work that you have done, possible added stress to the stock tierod and it gave way.
Ofcourse that is just a off the top of my head guess.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was only doing maybe 30mph tops around an open 90 degree turn after coming out of a slalom.

I heard it pop and my steering went mushy.

I only have 1.5" lowering springs on her.

??????

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
...forgot to mention that I was braking before I hit that hard left 90 degree turn when I heard the Pop.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nevermind! It wasn't a busted tierod...

It was the Camber Bolt. It loosened up and slipped out. Thats all it was thank God!!

So instead of doing that I am having Lexus pay for a new Wheel Bearing under warranty because it was starting to go so I might as well!

WHEW What a relief!

·
Registered
353 Posts
I've had camber bolts come loose too. Perhaps a lesson for all those autocrossing to check the adjustor bolts every so often. I can't remenber the exact torque spec, but I know it's kind of high. Maybe someone with a manual can post it??

Just curious, how many miles do you have on your car to need a new wheel bearing? Mine are still going strong at 25k. knock on wood.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll post the torque specs for the Camber Bolts in a bit...

But my car only has 27k on it and it is STILL going strong... I guess what I was getting at was that the wheel bearing still has a way to go before needing any repair, but my mechanic and I said, "Well, since your car is here for a 'Handling & Ride Quality Issue' we will just throw on a new wheel bearing on the one that looks the most worn (good or not) and have the warranty cover it since you are here anyway".

What the hell? A new wheel bearing for free? I'll take it!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts