Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Guys,

Here is the history.

Lexus Dealer installed springs (Ltuned) snapped today - WTF!

Installed May 2004

Mileage on springs - 120 K

Eibach has a million mile warranty on these springs.

However I have to go through the dealer that installed these to obtain a Return Goods Authorized number.

I'm guessing that I will be charged labor costs to uninstall and install the replacements. Do you think the dealer will stand behind the Eibach spring warranty and wondering how common this is?

Anyone else have experience here?

Digger08

Reactions: ScarecroW

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
WHAT?!?!?!!!?!?! :shocked: I can't believe this happened! First time I ever heard of it. Could you take pics?

I may have bad news for you tho. Even if it's the same product... they may have different warranties based on who's name is on the product.

Somebody had a sway bar go bad on them... but since the bars were branded TRD and not Eibach... the warranty was just 2 years. :(

How did you discover this? Hopefully not while you were driving it. :blush:

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
digger. we'll take care of this.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
digger. we'll take care of this.
Thanks Lexusecutive.

Yeah I back out of my garage today....and BANG.

I moved the car in reverse about 15 feet. I knew exactly what it was, looked and sure enough front passenger side spring was snapped.

Too difficult to take a picture, but basically broke on the bottom where it contacts the strut. It is still drivable on the side streets, but definitely not highway.

I still have my stock springs, if emergency dictates I use them. But trying to find another way.

Digger08

·
Registered
473 Posts
WTF? Thats WIERD!!!

Make sure you get your struts checked out! Maybe strut went bad and the spring took all the load.

Quick way to check if leaky strut. Look at the seals and see if its wet. I'm pretty sure you know about this..;) ;)

·
Registered
7,622 Posts
WTF? Thats WIERD!!!

Make sure you get your struts checked out! Maybe strut went bad and the spring took all the load.

Quick way to check if leaky strut. Look at the seals and see if its wet. I'm pretty sure you know about this..;) ;)
lol. We both think alike -.-

must be a tech thing :p

but ya. If you see a film on the strut, your okay.
If you see droplets or w/e then you got a bad strut.

·
Registered
473 Posts
If you didnt get the springs from the dealer i would have asked if you got the springs from PACIFIC MALL, hahahahaha

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
<Crester looks at Digger as he looks at his springs. Digger's jaw drops as he realizes his springs say L-Taned... and not L-Tuned...> :lol:

·
Registered
191 Posts
Wow I never even heard of one breaking unless some ******* heated them up to drop the car more. That would comprimize the HSS and it would snap eventually.The spring itself is designed to take the weight of the car and the strut is there to help slow the rebound of the spring when you hit bumps and stuff.
I hope they cover it,keep us posted.
Try to get them to cover a new strut or labor too.It can't hurt to try:p

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Struts are stock Toyota Tokico parts with about 40k on them. I had changed them in 2006.

They are dry with no leaks or evident failure of support.

There really isn't an explanation at this time, except part failure.

Digger08

·
Registered
473 Posts
Here's something random....are your springs rusty??? Do you park your car outside in the winter all the time? or do you drive the IS like a F1 car? haha

Reactions: Johnnysks

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Spring are not rusty. If fact when it broke, it snapped the paint/ plastic coating off at the break point.

Springs should handle temperate climate changes in North America.

I suppose they do have a usable life, life any mechanical component.

I would assume with a Million Mile warranty, they would last more than 4 years and 120 K.

Digger08

·
Registered
569 Posts
Well, I'm just glad that everyone's safe and that it didn't do damage to other components. :)

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
ProKit

Update: The distributor is going to replace the coil under warranty

With thanks to some members on here for assistance!

You know who you are.

Digger08

·
Registered
568 Posts
I'm glad is going to work out digger!

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Hey Digger, sorry to hear about your misfortune... but also glad that you will get it resolved w/o problems. :)

And you're right, springs should last longer than that, no matter the weather.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
How come there's so much rust on the bottom coil of the spring? When I took off my stock springs after 7 years of use... they were still black!

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Like i stated before, when the spring let go, the paint broke off as well.

It does appear that it has been exposed to the elements for a while. But having said that, you owner's should really get under your vehicle and look the welds and seams on your undercarriage. You will see lots of rust, that is inherent, and can not be avoided. Anything exposed to the water and salt will begin to decomp.

...besides, its not like I have control over this type of thing. Guess I will have to start waxing my springs.

Don't forget, my car has over 220,000 km's now and is 7 years old.

Digger08

1 - 20 of 59 Posts