Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after installing the semi-metalic pads and the slotted rotors, I was told how to get the pads to seat in the rotor... did that.

But I still had an annoying squeak. the front rotors finally wore off the stock "brushed steel" look, so I know the pads were seating fine.

I noticed however, the rears still looked "brushed" so I knew they weren't getting the same kind of work duty the fronts were. That's to be expected I guess.

I decided to work the brakes hard, to see what they could do and to see how long it would take them to fade. I did about 10-12 cylces of 0-60-0 mph hard braking... just hard enough so that abs wouldn't kick in.

well by the time i stopped and puleld over to inspect, the brakes were smoking. not just a wiff, but enough so that I could see it coming out before i even left the car.

Anyone want to tell me if that is normal, what was burning, and what's up w/ the lack of wear on the rear rotors?

Thanks!

-edit-
no more squeaking ;)

·
2,073 Posts
Nah! You're fine. The smoke could be from other sources like leftover grease, anti rattle compound etc. Even if it was really from the pads, 10-12 stops will smoke most pads.

·
Registered
30,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sweeet, thanks guys!!!

ya know, fade was there, but i could still make really solid stops. the pedal just felt marginally softer.

LOVING the brake upgrade!

...and zero squeak ;)

·
Registered
15,585 Posts
just FYI though. In the future I would not use that type of break-in procedure on your brakes. If you get the rotors that hot, there is a good chance you can warp the rotors. Then you will have a shimmy during braking. I know the squeaking can be very annoying, but I wouldnt want you to trade a squeak for a shimmy

·
Registered
30,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've got slotted rotoras and axxis semi metalic pads

1 - 7 of 7 Posts