Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
went on a touge run today and after an 30 minutes of good fun my brakes were smoking! do i need better brake pads or wat?

·
Registered
15,585 Posts
dont be so tough on them... remember they need to cool between hard stops...

That Jeff Stevens kid (user here) was the only one to smoke the brakes on the LS during the Lexus driving school, and it wasnt because his lap times were better.

Smooth and steady is faster.

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
8,744 Posts
yes... being smooth helps alot...! braking smoothly & driving smoothly all around will make aeverything last longer... less wear &tear.. less Brake fade etc etc... roll in & roll off the throttle & braking Vs just jabbing at the gas & the brake pedals & you'll go faster & farther before you over heat those badboyzzzzz...

ALSO......

Back THEN....

I put Bradi Drilled/ Slotted rotors & kept stock pads & these worked GREAT ... only ONE time when I was really hammering the canyons on a hot day did i feel them (pads) get a bit soft & I could smell them pretty well too Whew.. .stinky.... but they were MUCH better & lasted longer before fading at all, than stock & that was just the D/S rotors no upgrade in pads yet...

NOW....

I just swapped to Genuine Brembo D&S rotors... & Axxis Ultimate pads up front.. Metal Masters out back...

just bedding them in will report later...on improvements should be pretty much the same... these are Zinc plated, that is main difference & less slots.....

edgy

·
Registered
483 Posts
edgy, the ultimates gotta get hot before they really come in. you might notice that they'll be weak in the mornings, but strong longer you go.

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
8,744 Posts
Enevel12 Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 2:20 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

edgy, the ultimates gotta get hot before they really come in. you might notice that they'll be weak in the mornings, but strong longer you go.

Cool,..... thanks for the tip bro... How the ride???

when i grow up i wanna get some REAL brakes like you :D :D

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
:chill:

·
Registered
483 Posts
edgy said:
Enevel12 Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 2:20 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cool,..... thanks for the tip bro... How the ride???

when i grow up i wanna get some REAL brakes like you :D :D
the stoptechs are cool bro. just that i've noticed that with the ultimate pads, they need some heat in them. so like in the mornings when i sart up the car and drive the brakes are only so so (still stronger than stock though). after the temps come up and after a little bit of driving, they start to bite harder & harder. the only other downside to them is that the ultimate pads give off a lot of dust. in short, get gunmetal wheels.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I would save up the TRD Big Brake kit which is what I'm thinking about getting when normal time turns to turbo time for my IS :wink:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts