Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today i went to test drive a 98'M3. When I was leaving the dealership a new Z3 3.0 liter pulled out right in front of the dealership, I got right behind him and I saw him get on the gas, I know he got on it because smoke came out the exaust. We got up to about 60 mph and he let of for the stop sign. He floored it at the stop sign and so did I. I stayed right on his ass then at about 65mph I pulled around him, as soon as I got beside him he let off. I was very suprised I thought that car was supose to be faster than mine, anyway the guy was pissed and I think he worked for BMW. The M3 was fast and handled great, but the interior looked dated and the steering wheel was not adjustable, and the the steering wheel was as big as a truck wheel. Sorry for the long post. Still love my IS300, but really want a 5 speed!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
626 Posts
Oh boy this should be fun. Gentlemen start your flames!

[This message has been edited by ISFAN (edited October 24, 2000).]

·
Registered
103 Posts
Ummmm, NO! I call shenanigans!

Listen, I like the IS300, OK. I had a lot of fun driving it at the Lexus Performance Tour. In fact, I'll go on the record now by stating that the STOCK IS300 outhandles the STOCK CL-S no doubt. I know this is not about the IS vs. CL-S, but I just want to get that out there before the "your CL-S ain't all that!" nonsense starts.

Now, back to the Z3. Again, NO! The '99 2.3 was clocked at 6.7 sec. 0-60 by C&D. Do you honestly believe that the 3.0 would not STOMP your ass into the ground? You really think that you beat a 5.9 second (6.0 auto) 0-60 car that weighs in at only 2,910 pounds?

Yeah, and I put a severe beat down on a chipped S4 last night.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not all cars are the same as the specs say they are. Real world test are much better. I was there and I know what happened.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Honey, I'm sorry, but just because you were racing and you really think he was doesn't actually mean it's true. It doesn't even take clam to tell you that this is not physically possible. No flames, just remember that not everyone is actually trying their hardest. BMW engines often smoke for no reason; they're made by Germans

·
Registered
58 Posts
Okay so maybe you kept up with a Z3 3.0. So? Do you want a medal? I would hardly call what you described smoked. So you kept up with a brand new Z3 3.0. That's good but do you know if it was a stick or an auto? I would say the car was auto and not broken in yet or the owner didn't push down the gas pedal hard enough and the overdrive switch was not engaged. In any case, I was beaten by a Civic last weekend. He reved, I looked, light turned green and he took off with lots of noise. Me I just looked at my girl friend and laughed.

Rick Kim
(Still have the IS300 on my list for my next commute car)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Originally posted by Nate:
[ BMW engines often smoke for no reason; they're made by Germans
.[/B]
Most engines give out a puff of grayish smoke if you stomp on the gas. I've seen my old GTI do it and various other cars, including a friends GS400. This is pretty normal thing, regardless of who made the engine. However, I tend the see blue smoke come out of domestic tail pipes more than others.

Rick Kim

·
Registered
541 Posts
Mcoupe, you make some great points. Street racing often proves nothing about either car or either driver, and just as often both parties claim victory! One will say, "I was ahead by 2 car lengths when I slowed down for the next intersection," and the other will say, "He was ahead by 2 car lengths but I pulled past him by the time we got to the intersection."

By the way, I raced and beat a 911 in my BMW 330 on Monday...on a racetrack. Of course, I found out later that he was on his cool down lap while I was going full speed. ^_^

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
okay, so i was at a birthday dinner for a friend, you guys miss me already? he he

the z3 3.0 isn't exactly something i'd call fast so beating one isn't that big of a deal. i like the m3's "****pit" because everything is just where i want it, when i want it. its very driver oriented =) if the z3 truly does pull the 0-60 in 5.9, thats' STILL slower than an m3, but not by much. also remember that you're not going straight to 60, you were probabkly at lower speeds right? the m3's bottom ends kick azz, but power starts to drop around the 60-90 range before it seems to pick up again from 90 on up

·
Registered
162 Posts
Trae,

I'm a little confused. I read your post like 3 times and I thought you meant you were in an M3 and raced a Z3. Then the replies indicated that you were in your IS.

Which was it? The M3 certainly sounds like a more believable story.

------------------
Perception IS Reality

·
Registered
32 Posts
Originally posted by TRAE MYERS:
Today i went to test drive a 98'M3. When I was leaving the dealership a new Z3 3.0 liter pulled out right in front of the dealership, I got right behind him and I saw him get on the gas, I know he got on it because smoke came out the exaust. We got up to about 60 mph and he let of for the stop sign. He floored it at the stop sign and so did I. I stayed right on his ass then at about 65mph I pulled around him, as soon as I got beside him he let off. I was very suprised I thought that car was supose to be faster than mine, anyway the guy was pissed and I think he worked for BMW. The M3 was fast and handled great, but the interior looked dated and the steering wheel was not adjustable, and the the steering wheel was as big as a truck wheel. Sorry for the long post. Still love my IS300, but really want a 5 speed!!!!!!!!!!
You may have beat him but how did you know he didn't let off at 60. It could have been driver error. Maybe you thought he was racing when he wasn't. Etc etc. Anyways, take it to the track and you will really know what it means to race someone.

·
Registered
666 Posts
yes his post reads that he was in an M3 and raced a Z3...but still loves his IS3.

But was it James Bond's Z3?? cuz he would have shot them missles out at ya...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Originally posted by wazzup:
yes his post reads that he was in an M3 and raced a Z3...but still loves his IS3.
/B]

Actually he was in his IS300.
Quote:

I was very suprised I thought that car was supose to be faster than mine. :

That car meaning the Z3 and mine meaning his IS300.

Rick Kim

·
Registered
478 Posts
TRAE,

I read previously you were considering sellin g the IS300. Still keeping the IS, or considering a M3 instead?

Just curious. Did you get any offers at that price (32.5K)?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Just a stupid question.

Is it "easier" to follow another car than overtaking that car?

I mean, if a car has to overtake another and pass it at a decisive distance to win, then the overtaking car has to have more power than the targeted car.

Maybe someone can help me understand this since I don't know much about racing and rarely race (won't have much of a chance of winning anyway with one of the old family car s that I have to drive sometimes, but the Lengend that I don't always get to drive is another story...)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts