Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well my valvecover was leaking oil from the exhaust side. me and justin(installer88) ended up changing both and things was fine and no smoke. the next day i drove my car and i smelled oil burning. i looked behind me and noticed a big cloud of smoke coming from my exhaust.(that was the only time i saw smoking coming from exhaust) i pulled over and popped the hood. it was smoke coming from the exhaust mani or in that area. i thought it was just oil burning off from when i changed the valvecover. i checked all the bolts and made sure they was all tight. a few of them wasnt tight so i tighten them and cleaned all the oil up. what could be the cause of it smoking. its coming from the exhaust side. also the car is running really sluggish. im not driving it now and its parked. i checked the turbo and intake coming from the turbo and its no oil or anything coming from there. what do you guys think it could be? ive searched and cant come up with anything. i kinda of narrowed it down to maybe the rings are taking a crap on me. the car has 69k miles and have been boosted for about 6k of them.

·
Premium Member
8,548 Posts
well, rings are easy to check - pull the plugs and do a compression test, if i have any doubts that what i check.

a quick ring check test is - while the car is running, take off the oil cap and put your hand over it, maybe rev it abit. if it looks like a steam locomotive - you got the problems. if it's light breath coming out, not a big deal. if it's a little high you probably have more blow by than you want.

easier, pull the charge pipe of and look for oil pooling in teh compressor housing, and check for "the swirl" of oil around the compressor. all turbos get swirl, fact of life - if it's there, clean it up and see how fast it comes back. if it's a swirl of very wet oil - you have problems (probably relating to the turbo).

but first thing I would do is oil cap check, swirl check, then compression test (leak down if possible). after all taht you'll have some numbers - post em up and we can figure it out

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
after checking out my car over and doing some research. i have concluded my rings are toast. smoke is pouring out my breather, dipstick and coming from where pour the oil. i guess its time for a rebuild :(

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i didnt do an compresstion test. i just opened the the oil cap and dipstick. it was smoking like a chimney. so i figured it was the rings without a doubt. being that its so much pressure being built up in the crankcase. the only way out was the dipstick and oil cap.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Sorry man woulda gave you a nice deal on them too.... Good luck with the rebuild i'm sure you'll find all kinds of things to upgrade while it's down...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.