Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a fellow Californian a smog check coming up. Before I get flamed, I just want to say I've done plenty of searching and came up different responses about passing smog in Cali with a Xerd Y-Pipe. Has anyone ever pass smog with an aftermarket y-pipe?

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
from stories and threads that i've read, you can pass, but if they (smog tech)see the aftermarket pipe, you will fail the visual, same with like a non carb legal intake...etc...etc... i mean your not getting a check engine light right?

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No check engine light. Only mods I have is the Joe Z intake, Xerd Ypipe, and Greddy Evo exhaust. I'm not too worried about the Joe Z, but worried about the y-pipe. Have some rep bro. Thanks for the quick reply!

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
no problem, if you need help swapping them out for your stock one let me know, i'll give you a hand if you need it, since your in SF, your not that far.
+rep back to you dude,

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
No check engine light. Only mods I have is the Joe Z intake, Xerd Ypipe, and Greddy Evo exhaust. I'm not too worried about the Joe Z, but worried about the y-pipe. Have some rep bro. Thanks for the quick reply!
I realize that this may or may not help you. I live in Canada, and our emission test is based on your California one.

I have an Injen intake, Greddy Evo exhaust and Meagan "Y" pipe (obviously the CAT was removed) I passed emissions here with a very similar set up. They did visually identify the missing Catalytic, but proceeded, and I passed with flying colors.

Not saying it is comparable, but gives you a little bit of hope.

Digger08

Reactions: bRibRi

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
the sniffer test will be going away in all states very soon

Reactions: bRibRi

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks everyone! I actually may have found a place to help me out. I was told that they can "make" it pass. By this, do they mean that they will have to swap out the ypipe and put on my cat or do they can they work their magic? I'm most likely going to have a practice run and see if I pass. I'll keep everyone posted.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It turns out that I CAN indeed pass smog with the Xerd racepipe and Joe Z intake!

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
It turns out that I CAN indeed pass smog with the Xerd racepipe and Joe Z intake!

good to hear.

i noticed when i installed my Y-pipe that the stock one has no monitored cats in it...but it is very restictive and has a cat at the end where the cat back hooks up.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Dude I wouldnt pass at all. Haha! But I have my car reg in Lake County where they dont smog test. Haha! Sucks for you all.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Was it a straightforward test, as in no special deals. How closs were the numbers?
As far as I know it was a straight forward test. My cousin took my car in for smog because I was at work. But he told me that I passed pretty easily. I have the results in the car and is lazy as hell to get it right now. I'll post it up tomorrow.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Well, just move to Arizona they dont check for smog or visuals. As long as you pass the codes test your fine.

·
Registered
599 Posts
what about Californians with headers? does this involve swapping out your stock headers to pass smog. thanks.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
what about Californians with headers? does this involve swapping out your stock headers to pass smog. thanks.
ya seriously..... wht am i gonna do?! Look at my mods. A guy at the Lexus "Stealer" I go to said that his buddy will do some paper work and make it look like I had a legit smog test. He said that he did it for his supra and it worked

1 - 16 of 16 Posts