Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone passed smog with aftermarket headers stock y pipe and a K&N fipk intake?
Also would the figs heat shield fit over any of the headers.
If it does which headers do you guys recommend for doing the mod

·
Registered
465 Posts
Has anyone passed smog with aftermarket headers stock y pipe and a K&N fipk intake?
Also would the figs heat shield fit over any of the headers.
If it does which headers do you guys recommend for doing the mod
It probly won't pass the visual inspection. At the very least, you'll need verification that it's CARB legal for everything. And believe me when I say they will check. The place I went to jumped on the computer and confirmed what I already knew (after I bought it.) It's really a pita. My AEM cold air intake didn't "pass" because it's CARB legal for every other IS except the '04. What's even worse is that it passed with LOWER emissions with it on than with the OEM filter setup. Go figure.

I honestly don't know how any turbo or modded IS or ANY car passes the stupid checks we have to go through. Well I have an idea, but it requires $$$ and a shady smog center. They are around. Oops, I've already said too much.

Good luck.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I kinda figured. I've looked at the runners from the top and they don't seem to have a cat for the 6 runners atleast from what I can see. Haven't been under the car in a while, but if so, say I can get pass visual and I stick with the stock y pipe which I'm guessing is where the primary cat would be, and a K&N fipk is a smog legal mod has anyone tried it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just threw dc headers on for my cousins 240sx with the dohc ka24de his primary cat doesn't go on till after the collector, also has a port for egr and iat I'm guessing he could pass since some dc headers are carb legal atleast for some Hondas I heard they were

·
Registered
465 Posts
As long as there is no CEL showing you may have a decent shot at it. But when he looks at the headers it should have a stamp on it. Without that I'm not sure if you'll pass. Now that I have to take off my AEM intake every two years I'm not going to bother with any mods that affect smog. Let us know how it works out for you.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I just threw dc headers on for my cousins 240sx with the dohc ka24de his primary cat doesn't go on till after the collector, also has a port for egr and iat I'm guessing he could pass since some dc headers are carb legal atleast for some Hondas I heard they were
There are CARB LEGAL DC headers

1 - 7 of 7 Posts