Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey i was wondering if anyone else gets a strong smell coming from either the engine/tranny/brakes when your working your car at high RPM's. I thought maybe it was normal to smell the engine when your working it pretty hard. My freinds told me that maybe its not supposed to be doing that and maybe something is wrong. Please help me out here. I also use chevron 91 octane. dont know if that has anything to do with it

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
smells like

what type of "smell" is it? does it smell like burning oil, coolant?? is there any smoke anywhere? have you looked under the car for debries stuck to the exhaust, like a plastic bag?? When i really beat on my '03 the clutch gets hot (gotta get around to removing the clutch dampener) and i can smell that. Smells exactly like burning brakes. a very distinct oder. if you dont have any leaks and cant find any evidence of anything on the exhaust, and your clutch (if you have one) isnt acting up in any way, your probably fine.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I know exactly what you're talking about and damnit it sucks when it happens. It's also becoming quite often for me too, maybe Lexus can fix it at my next service.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Lexus claims the sulfur smell is from some different types of petroleum used to make gasoline. They have that in a TSB for every model since 2001. They offer no fix for it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I've been to two Lexus dealers who claim that smell is "normal."

It sure as hell ain't normal but aside from this one problem my car has run great from day one so I've been willing to overlook it.

I think the smell is related to the clutch. I get it when slipping the clutch going up hills for instance.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Most cars do this if you push them hard, burning chemicals up. The accord, Z4, 330, and IS300 all exhibited this "feature". :shame:

·
Registered
214 Posts
Don't worry, I think, did you drive hard in hot weather? :lol:

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks

yes it is like a sulfur smell. But im glad to see that im not the only person with this. I know my 90 accord which was still running 314,000 org.tranny and motor when i sold it had a somewhat "fume" smell. Although i didnt expect this out of lexus. But like i said its only at high rpm's and i guess i can deal with it.

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
- not like rotten eggs???

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
engine smell

It smells like radiator but as soon as thr rpms are back low and your crusin it instanly goes away. i can see how it would smell when working engine hard. I live in Santa Barbara , Ca so weather isnt to hot. Average about 70 degrees on a normal day

·
Registered
914 Posts
waassup bro?

Santa Barbara here too. :)

we should do a mini meet or something.

my car had the smells too... but it smelled of gas fumes and it was because I forgot to tighten the gas cap :oops:

anyways, my CEL is went on and TRAC light blinking, that happen to you too? ... I reset the ECU and it went away.... I'll see what happens later..

·
Registered
340 Posts
hey fellas, could the smell be from the clutch?

I've noticed that when ever i drive my car hard, like doing a canyon run, or just having fun along the beach, the car starts smelling up like sulfur.

but when i go slow it goes away? same things that happens to you guys. There were topics about this months and months ago, i remember reading somewhere it dealt with our clutch.

hmmm ?

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
same smell

Well i get that same smell and i have auto, so i doubt its the clutch

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
yeah, i've smelled something like that before from the radiator area. i thought it was burning oil but i checked and it wasn't it. car runs fine so not going to worry about it too much. good to know that other people smell it too.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Could it be something with the cats? I remember reading about this somewhere before. Since you are pushing the car harder, the cats are in overdrive trying to convert the chemicals and produce a strange smell while doing so.

Is the car somewhat new? It could be all the stuff from the factory that hasn't burned off yet...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts