Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was polishing and waxing my IS today and I noticed quite a few small scratches on the hood. The scratches do not appear to be anywhere else. Anyone know what causes this (I think probably some abrasives while waxing) and what I can do to get rid of them. Thanks

·
Registered
242 Posts
They are inevitable by-products of washing and waxing your car. They are most visible on dark finishes, but are present on all. They are very shallow scratches in the clearcoat. You can polish your clearcoat to eliminate them with a quality product such as 3M Imperial Glaze. DO NOT use a more abrasive polish or (*shudder*) rubbing compound. A glaze requires significant work to use effectively, but the alternative is a quicker-cutting formula that will strip too much finish if you are not careful. Use this twice a year or so and wash then wax immediately afterward.

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
maybe pebbles and sand off the road fling onto your hood. almost everyone has a few scratch on their bumper and hood because of that.

------------------
Solar Yellow/Black IS300

·
Registered
344 Posts
Originally posted by AllRoy:
I was polishing and waxing my IS today and I noticed quite a few small scratches on the hood. The scratches do not appear to be anywhere else.
I was washing my car today and noticed the same thing. Not too bad, almost 6 months before they I began to see them. I'm pretty sure they came from the chenille hand mitt that I use to wash it with. It's been awhile since I threw it in the wash and there was probably little bits of dirt in there. Damn! Next week I'll try to polish them out, maybe clay to get any contaminants off, then Finish First. By the way, anyone use clay before? Used it on our 94 pathfinder and the paint feels like glass even on the roof where it used to feel like sand paper (well not that bad but you know what I mean).

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I was just going to suggest carcareonline. com... seems like they've got a phenomenal website with lots of really good info. Not sure on the pricing and how competitive it is but it seems like they carry just about everything...

Scott.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
5 Participants
Zoku
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing