Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been noticing that my beautiful, eye catching, & showstopping IS is slow as hell off the line? Why is the drive train & tranny so lazy? Sadly to say it is a big disappointment. It seems like i have to almost (almost) floor this car or engage some type of kickdown to feel a nice pickup? My friends 98 maxima is like a hair trigger boom! tap the gas and your pinned back in your seat??? ? whats the problem here guys?
I have tried power mode.. same deal? even without traction? I have tried most configurations? Any clues or solutions out there??

Thx.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Don't know what to tell you. I've noticed this Small delay when the trans kicks back to lower gear while on the move. But I hadn't noticed it coming off the line.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The smooth, slow take-off is just part of the IS300's Lexus heritage. Luxury car owners demand that their cars be well mannered. Lexus does seem to be learning what us more performance oriented drivers like, but it is taking them a while to make the adjustments. In the mean time you can get better off the line performance by having a high performance torque converter installed. There was some discussion about these for the GS400 a while back on the ClubLexus board. This issue is one of the reasons I am waiting for the manual trans. It puts it all under the drivers control.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanx for the tip fellas.... I guess it has to do with the ECT Tranny huh? Maybe a Chip and an intake will help it? I'd love if My IS could have that quick response gas pedal. It comes in hadny merging into traffic here in NYC!

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I don't have this problem right now. I do notice that the transmission tend to adapt to your driving style, so if you have driven your car gently during the break in, it may take a while for the car to adaptec to the aggresive driving style you desire.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Originally posted by rarjoon:
I have been noticing that my beautiful, eye catching, & showstopping IS is slow as hell off the line? Why is the drive train & tranny so lazy? Sadly to say it is a big disappointment. It seems like i have to almost (almost) floor this car or engage some type of kickdown to feel a nice pickup? My friends 98 maxima is like a hair trigger boom! tap the gas and your pinned back in your seat??? ? whats the problem here guys?
I have tried power mode.. same deal? even without traction? I have tried most configurations? Any clues or solutions out there??
Thx.
i haven't found the IS to be particularly slow off the line (relative to other autos) the torque converter definately causes a little lag, but there is no getting around that... its not a manual so you lose power from the crank to the wheels..

from my experience the trick is to keep traction control ON (otherwise you'll spin the rears) and squeeze the throttle rather than stomp on it... i find 3 and 4 to be really responsive particularly in the 3-5K RMP range... it may not be quick start in second (first with overdrive), but it makes up for it once it starts moving... (i recently watched a piece on Speedvision where a guy was explaining the fastest way to accelerate from standing and he used a F1 car as an example... - basically, stomping on the gas may 'feel' faster - sudden jolt, but in reality its slower then an gradual squeeze... next time you watch the start of a F1 race take notice... you won't see many smoking tires and the acceleration to the first corner is usually very smooth...

the main draw back to squeezing the throttle is that IS owners aren't going to win too many short light to light dashes...(ie... only enough pavement to just get to 3000 RMP in 3rd @ about 40-50 MPH) but that's all you want a car for then the IS probably isn't for you...

hope this helps...

·
Registered
446 Posts
My IS feels responsive oneday and sluggish the next. why? For me to get a good response I have to turn on the ect botton and turn off the traction. Oh and put it in M mode but leave it either in 3rd, 4th or 5th. That works for me. Won't be tooo much wheel spin on a straight drag, but watch those turns with traction off!

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I noticed that myself... once on the highway and i start to bring the car up to speed it is very nice. Maybe cause Im coming from a 5spd RX7 to an automatic IS? It just seems it should be quicker. Maybe i wil lget used to it, but it seems weird coming from a car billed as a performace car.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Does this have something to do with the engine having to break in? Or are yours already broken in? I was watching the Best Motoring VCD again, an there's an 8 car race in which a Civic Type R passes a TRD Altezza. The driver blamed it on the new engine.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Originally posted by Kevin:
Does this have something to do with the engine having to break in? Or are yours already broken in? I was watching the Best Motoring VCD again, an there's an 8 car race in which a Civic Type R passes a TRD Altezza. The driver blamed it on the new engine.

typeR Civics are pretty quick and probably 7-800 pounds lighter than a TRD IS300... not surprising... where did the Civic pass the IS? straight or on in/out of a corner?

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
to the guy with an rx7, the rx7 was a sports car in purest form, as i'm sure you know, the is300 is a bit mroe luxury oriented and doesn't even have the hp/turbo or anything the rx7 had =)

·
Registered
272 Posts
I noticed the same thing on my test drive. When I took the IS on the hwy and floored it, it hesitated a little. Alot of it, IMO, had to do with me not being used to the car. Once I own mine that will change.

------------------
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly. *OUTLAW RACING*

·
Registered
178 Posts
i think the lag is due to the torque converter working together with the ECU... not as fast to respond as a manual transmission... can anyone confirm this with details of what a torque converter actually does?!?!?

Originally posted by DJson:
I noticed the same thing on my test drive. When I took the IS on the hwy and floored it, it hesitated a little. Alot of it, IMO, had to do with me not being used to the car. Once I own mine that will change.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Do you think if enough of us complain to the dealerships we can have an upgraded torque converter installed to replaced the current one? or is that wishful thinking?

[Don't count on it. The current stock unit is "fine". People here are asking for a performance upgrade that isn't being offered by the factory. ]

[This message has been edited by TEG (edited August 28, 2000).]

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
i have the cure-all for slow pickup! its called a supercharger!!!!! :p wooooo!!!! =) he he...taht'll fix your problems =)

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Clam you are soooo F**kin Right!! This car needs some forced induction. Too much flim flam about lexus luxury.... I wanna see some M3 A$$kickin power. Dont like to be just a pretty boy! How safe is a turbo add on? are we gonna have to change the head gasket and all that stuff? has anyone inquired yet?

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
well, even with a supercharger i dont' know if it can take out the current m3, but it'll definitely be close enough to depend on te driving skill. from what i've seen, turbos on OBDII cars are usually extremely expensive, so a supercharger might be a better choice
i don't know any details about how effective/safe it is though
Originally posted by rarjoon:
Clam you are soooo F**kin Right!! This car needs some forced induction. Too much flim flam about lexus luxury.... I wanna see some M3 A$$kickin power. Dont like to be just a pretty boy! How safe is a turbo add on? are we gonna have to change the head gasket and all that stuff? has anyone inquired yet?

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
Didn't someone mention a few times before that this delay might be caused by the drive-by-wire throttle?

·
Registered
591 Posts
The way to get around the "kick back" (Tranny Downshifting to Lower Gear) while on the move is have the car in (Manual E shift
Mode)
preferably in 2nd or 3rd. (Keeping the Car in Its Power Band) You'll have ALL the POWER you need, Believe me!

You can even get by with Stomping the trottle this way.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Note the 0-30 time... a good barometer for off the line performance... the number is 2.5 seconds. Look at other performance cars Like MCoupe... Boxster... new 6-cyl SLK and you'll see a big difference... Lexus is still into luxury and always will be. Turbos, NOS, superchargers will enhance performance, no doubt, but the factory specs speed times, handling and braking plus the magic carpet ride and comfort and piece of mind when driving do, for me, outweigh grunt and raw acceleration.
Maybe it's my age and Eldo Touring Coupe with Northstar, but I know the car has the potential to be great and that's what ultimate counts. The aftemarketers will be in full bloom once the production number rise, then the fun will start.
Respectfully,
E. Marshall

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
About this Discussion
22 Replies
12 Participants
smra
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing